• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty sure this is not what you want to read but honestly, I can't tell the difference between the NODE internal DAC and the Topping E50.
To build on this, I can't discern any difference between running my NODE through a Schiit Modi 3+ via digital out and simply taking the analog out direct into my Adcom GFP-750. And the Modi measures great; obviously the NODE's DAC is mediocre at best from a measurement standpoint, but audibly no difference to my ears.

The reason I'm getting the Topping D30 Pro DAC is to give me volume control and balanced output so I can get rid of the Adcom. Don't need all the other inputs and capabilities of that excellent preamp.

Pretty sure this is not what you want to read but honestly, I can't tell the difference between the NODE internal DAC and the Topping E50.
I was just curious, and now even more…. Because I hear a distinct better sound in my system. Could be XLR, could be d90se or both…..even YouTube hi-res sounds much better.

Frank Sol

On the USB Output : There's speculation it is a Hardware problem with the Node (3) N130 , not firmware.

JGeez

I also could not tell the difference (of course you can't connect the E50 via USB) and I had several friends listen that have no idea what a DAC is and they could not tell the difference when I switched back and forth for them.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
so, I've got one.
It actually doesn't support Tidal Connect, so I have to use their app to play Tidal.
However, it streams and it sounds great for its cost.
Wow, that’s false advertising, then! Very interesting, thanks for the update.

1639237549461.png

Last edited:

Frank Sol

Wondered about this from the get-go.

I've been keeping up with it on Bluesound's Community Page. BS Product Support guys are backtracking. For months it was 'by the end of the year' now to 'soon' -- Since there's only 2 weeks left in the year

Wow, that’s false advertising, then! Very interesting, thanks for the update.

View attachment 171773
I doubt that I am doing something wrong in their app, as there are not many options over there to configure... must be that they are indeed not supporting the Connect part of Tidal.
Anyways, I've wrote them asking what's up with that Tidal "Connect", why it doesn't work. Who knows, maybe I am really doing something wrong.

But if false advertising, then I guess they'll be in some trouble in some markets...

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been keeping up with it on Bluesound's Community Page. BS Product Support guys are backtracking. For months it was 'by the end of the year' now to 'soon' -- Since there's only 2 weeks left in the year
Yeah, I like their products and have the original Node and Node 2.
I wanted availability of USB out for Tidal 13/17/1 but just chasing rainbows I guess.
I have SMSL M500 and Topping E50.
E50 has availability over Optical/Coax now so I can just use that I guess although I’m mot sure it’s the full experience.

PuX

USB out is almost certainly a software/drivers problem.
Internally their operating system is most likely Linux, which means the support will be for universal devices, basically only the ones that have standard drivers which work out of the box on Linux. Some unique DAC with custom drivers or no Linux drivers obviously will not work.

I assume it's just challenging to enable this output and make the streamer switch to the connected DAC automatically and test which DACs will work and which won't. Most people probably expect any USB DAC will work and that will definitely not be the case.

It could be of course a hardware problem if their hardware is somehow not compatible with Linux drivers, but I hope not.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I doubt that I am doing something wrong in their app, as there are not many options over there to configure... must be that they are indeed not supporting the Connect part of Tidal.
Anyways, I've wrote them asking what's up with that Tidal "Connect", why it doesn't work. Who knows, maybe I am really doing something wrong.

But if false advertising, then I guess they'll be in some trouble in some markets...

I'm guessing you know Tidal Connect is only possible when using Tidal app and not third party apps, right?

I'm guessing you know Tidal Connect is only possible when using Tidal app and not third party apps, right?
yes, sure. I'm using Tidal app on iPhone.

My understanding is that Tidal Connect works exactly same as Spotify Connect works.
Now, on this WiiM, Spotify Connect works perfectly: WiiM shows up in the Spotify app. Tidal Connect doesn't: the WiiM doesn't show up in Tidal app.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
yes, sure. I'm using Tidal app on iPhone.

My understanding is that Tidal Connect works exactly same as Spotify Connect works.
Now, on this WiiM, Spotify Connect works perfectly: WiiM shows up in the Spotify app. Tidal Connect doesn't: the WiiM doesn't show up in Tidal app.

If that is the case, then it is for sure false advertisement. Tidal Connect works fine with my Bluesound NODE and Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3.

IMG_9225.PNG

If that is the case, then it is for sure false advertisement. Tidal Connect works fine with my Bluesound NODE and Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3.

View attachment 171841
that's the case, unfortunately.
I was thinking that it's too good to be true, getting Tidal Connect at around 100 Eur with optical out, but at the same time I was hoping to be true.
It would have been the cheapest option for Tidal Connect (with optical out, besides the analog out) on the market, like 4 times cheaper than the Node - which I think it's the cheapest option with Tidal Connect (and optical out) as of today.

According to Tidal, BlueSound supports Tidal Connect (scroll to bottom where it says "Tidal Connect plays on"): https://tidal.com/connect
I was referring to the WiiM Mini streamer that I've just got one and it doesn't supports Tidal Connect, while WiMM are advertising otherwise.

As for Node, that is clear: it does supports Tidal Connect. I guess Node is the cheapest option (that I am aware of) on the market as of now supporting Tidal Connect.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I was referring to the WiiM Mini streamer that I've just got one and it doesn't supports Tidal Connect, while WiMM are advertising otherwise.
Well, sorry I pointed you toward this thing. It clearly doesn't do what it's advertised to do. Sad!

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m planning to get one of these to use with Genelec G3 for TV audio. Are there any other alternatives I should consider? HDMI ARC and Sonos Connect support are both required features to me which this ticks those boxes.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I’m planning to get one of these to use with Genelec G3 for TV audio. Are there any other alternatives I should consider? HDMI ARC and Sonos Connect support are both required features to me which this ticks those boxes.
I don’t think the NODE supports Sonos Connect.

Top Bottom