• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a Node yesterday from Richer Sounds (UK retailer of audio/visual electronics). It was one of only two on clearance and I'm listening to it right now (via my RME ADI2 DAC) and couldn't be happier. I couldn't get RME's ASIO driver to work without (very frustrating!) dropouts, no matter how many processes I stopped etc. This works flawlessly and I love the BluOS app (although I still haven't worked out quite how to do everything I want to do).
Waiting patiently on the USB output update..

Have 2 earlier generations and would like the USB output option but not investing on a promise

Duffy Moon

Waiting patiently on the USB output update..
I presume you have a DAC with only USB input? Or is there some added benefit of USB over optical/co-ax? I have an external hard drive attached to the only USB port, so I can only really use the other outputs.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I presume you have a DAC with only USB input? Or is there some added benefit of USB over optical/co-ax? I have an external hard drive attached to the only USB port, so I can only really use the other outputs.
To get the best out of my streaming services.
I subscribe to almost all available services. Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon SiriusXM streaming

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Recertified Node 2i directly from Bluesound for $439 or for a little over $500, recertified NODE for $539:

Good hint, thank you, but no dice to get such Recertified/Refurbished Node (2I) in Europe from Bluesound.
Only second hand items from eBay, 400-500 Euro range. I am not sure about this option...
I guess I'll stay with AirPlay's 16/44 until something reasonable will hit the market for to be able to use Tidal Connect.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Good hint, thank you, but no dice to get such Recertified/Refurbished Node (2I) in Europe from Bluesound.
Only second hand items from eBay, 400-500 Euro range. I am not sure about this option...
I guess I'll stay with AirPlay's 16/44 until something reasonable will hit the market for to be able to use Tidal Connect.
This thing supports Tidal Connect. No idea how well it measures, but the specs look ok.

Good news from bluesound: update 3.16.2 fixed synch problems with external dac!!

my topping d90se works again flawless over toslink and bluesound node, including hdmi from Samsung tv.

last 10 days appeared a synching problem with some external dac’s, that is now solved.

happy to listen again through the topping d90se, and can’t believe how much better it sounds than the not so bad node internal dac.

maybe also the XLR cables matter, I don’t know, but this combination is so damned great!

No, waiting 4 months now for that. Should come within 3 weeks……hopefully.

but I was forced to listen to the node as a pre-amp for 10 days. And I really missed the sound op the topping dac!
And today I tried the update and it works¡ they added a switch for "audio clock trim" , turn that off and than the topping d90se works perfect with toslink.

and I was again surprised to hear such a big sound upgrade on my dynaudio heritage speakers!

I know that some people say that a dac does not make a big difference, but it is not true in my case!

but a have to admit that my topping dac has XLR cables to my purify power amp. So that can also explain the clear step up in sound quality. The lifelike sound from acoustic instruments is amazing!

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
No, waiting 4 months now for that. Should come within 3 weeks……hopefully.

but I was forced to listen to the node as a pre-amp for 10 days. And I really missed the sound op the topping dac!
And today I tried the update and it works¡ they added a switch for "audio clock trim" , turn that off and than the topping d90se works perfect with toslink.

and I was again surprised to hear such a big sound upgrade on my dynaudio heritage speakers!

I know that some people say that a dac does not make a big difference, but it is not true in my case!

but a have to admit that my topping dac has XLR cables to my purify power amp. So that can also explain the clear step up in sound quality. The lifelike sound from acoustic instruments is amazing!

I saw that on the latest update. I returned the D90SE because I had MQA playing issues due the "audio clock trim" missing in my NODE. I have now a Topping E50 and it works totally fine with my NODE even before the latest update.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Discovered something great today: I can use my Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic as a remote control for the Node running Bluesound app on my phone! Can control pause, next track, return to track beginning, and system volume. Great for shutting things down quick on my loud music when wifey gets home, before the complaints begin.

By the way, the Watch4 Classic is the best smartwatch I've ever owned, bar none. It does everything I've needed a smartwatch to do, including playing podcasts without having to have phone with me, golf GPS, you name it. This NODE function is icing on the cake.

Reactions: wje

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
And how does the topping e50 sound? better than the internal dac of the node? XLR or cinch?

Pretty sure this is not what you want to read but honestly, I can't tell the difference between the NODE internal DAC and the Topping E50.

Top Bottom