• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an older Node2 and use the coax out to a Topping E30 DAC and toslink to a Blue Tooth transmitter (older Nodes had no BT out) without any problems. Consider those connections if you have them.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you already taken a look at the new version of the Node?

So far I have used a Raspi 4 via the USB output with Volumio for streaming. Unfortunately, there are connection problems again and again using Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect. I now plan to stream via the Node's USB output. My DAC is the RME ADI-2.

There are quite a few complaints on the Bluesound forum about the Node's USB output. I wonder if you are also observing these problems.
I was quite surprised that it works very well for me. I expected the feature to have issues but it does not for me.

Yes you should switch the output in the app. Sometimes it does automatically but just check it.

They have said that Roon support is being worked on so no surprises. But connecting to my Topping D10b is working great and the app even says “topping D10” as the output. No fixed output? Just max out the volume. It’s a non issue.

Again, i’m surprised it works as well as it does. In fact I have it connected to a cable matters remote USB switcher. So I have multiple sources. Sometimes switching back to the Node I need to open the app and press play on the HDMI eARC input. It’s a small inconvenience.

I don’t use MQA and I can’t understand why anyone would given how discredited it is. It is not lossless. It’s actually lossy voodoo. Bob Stuart’s last chance at pulling audiofool wool over people’s eyes. Going forward we all understand the tech and he cannot keep using audiofool speak to sell things anymore.

Sconnie

Sorry in advance for this question but not 100% up to speed with new audio tech yet. I have a Topping D50S and am looking to eliminate my PC as the "feed" to the DAC. Using Tidal and testing Qobuz. Considering the Node as the connection to web and user interface, but also concerned about the audio performance of its' internal DAC. Is the purchase of the Node and running INTO the Topping a sensible approach that will yield better audio performance? (stepping around the Node DAC). I'm not familiar with Roon or the Raspberry device and am looking for a nice interface... Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

pjn

Sorry in advance for this question but not 100% up to speed with new audio tech yet. I have a Topping D50S and am looking to eliminate my PC as the "feed" to the DAC. Using Tidal and testing Qobuz. Considering the Node as the connection to web and user interface, but also concerned about the audio performance of its' internal DAC. Is the purchase of the Node and running INTO the Topping a sensible approach that will yield better audio performance? (stepping around the Node DAC). I'm not familiar with Roon or the Raspberry device and am looking for a nice interface... Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
The internal DAC is fine. You can do better in terms of measurable performance with an external DAC, but you may not be able to actually hear the difference. It would be difficult to do blind testing.

In principle, using Bluetooth, the node and an internet connection would be fine - you just need a device (active speakers, bluetooth headphones) to listen to its output. Or use the analog output to plug it into an amplifier.

Sconnie

The internal DAC is fine. You can do better in terms of measurable performance with an external DAC, but you may not be able to actually hear the difference. It would be difficult to do blind testing.

In principle, using Bluetooth, the node and an internet connection would be fine - you just need a device (active speakers, bluetooth headphones) to listen to its output. Or use the analog output to plug it into an amplifier.
Thanks for the quick reply. I would be outputting to a pre-amp and amplifier via RCA cables...

pjn

Thanks for the quick reply. I would be outputting to a pre-amp and amplifier via RCA cables...
Glad to help - I really like my Node - I have it outputting either Qobus or local FLAC files to a Khadas Tone Board which then feeds the amplifier, but I'm really not sure I could tell the difference.
The Node does not have a headphone jack and neither does the Topping D50S, I believe, so you might have a better set up with it between the Node and your preamp. Or you might not. But you would definitely need an extra power source.
The Khadas tone board I use is powered of the node, so there's no extra power needed, but I really have no idea whether it makes things better or not - now, with the software upgrade, using the USB port for power and data into the Khadas tone board.

Last edited:

Eddy

I have now bought a NODE and have been using it for a few days now. It works via USB connected to the RME ADI-2 without any problems so far. My impression so far is that its network connection is much more stable than the RaspPi4 with Volumio I used before.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Node does not have a headphone jack
yes it does or at least mine does Node 2 and the new one below
1645379852160.png

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: ENG

Ronen

Is it better to use Tidal via Bluesound Node OR in Tidal App installed on my Sony TV ?
Thanks

Eddy

Is it better to use Tidal via Bluesound Node OR in Tidal App installed on my Sony TV ?
Thanks
Hard to assess based on your information? What is your chain? What DAC do you use? The internal DAC of Bluesound Node / Sony TV? Or a external DAC connected to Bluesound Node / Sony TV?

If you use such an internal DAC, the DAC of the Node is probably better than the DAC of your TV... But just speculation....

Ronen

Hard to assess based on your information? What is your chain? What DAC do you use? The internal DAC of Bluesound Node / Sony TV? Or a external DAC connected to Bluesound Node / Sony TV?

If you use such an internal DAC, the DAC of the Node is probably better than the DAC of your TV... But just speculation....
Thanks for the reply.
First , I didn't know that TV Apps use TV internal DAC as I also use Netflix TV App - maybe I can see Netflix from another better source ...
I don't know how to use my Processor DAC instead of the Sony TV ...
Secondly , My Kit is as follows :
A/V Processor : McIntosh MX123
Power Amp : McIntosh MC255
TV : Sony OLED A80j 77"
All AudioQuest Cables.
Speakers : Focal Electra 926 + Focal Center

I prefer to use the Processor's DAC but I'm not sure if its MQA Compatible ...

Eddy

Thanks for the reply.
First , I didn't know that TV Apps use TV internal DAC as I also use Netflix TV App - maybe I can see Netflix from another better source ...
I don't know how to use my Processor DAC instead of the Sony TV ...
Secondly , My Kit is as follows :
A/V Processor : McIntosh MX123
Power Amp : McIntosh MC255
TV : Sony OLED A80j 77"
All AudioQuest Cables.
Speakers : Focal Electra 926 + Focal Center

I prefer to use the Processor's DAC but I'm not sure if its MQA Compatible ...
Wow, impressive setup. :)

I think the TV Apps use TV internal DAC only if you output the audio signal directly from the analog audio output of the TV. But I assume that this is not the case here. But I assume that your TV is connected to the A/V Processor via HDMI (or maybe additionally via optical digital/Toslink)? In this case, the A/V Processor would act as DAC for the digital audio signals transmitted from the TV. I assume that such an expensive A/V Processor includes a good DAC. If there is no explicit indication that the A/V Processor is MQA compatible, I would assume that it is not. But the usefulness of MQA is also quite controversial, so I wouldn't necessarily put my priority on it.

Furthermore, you seem to have no stereo setup (2.0 or 2.1), so using the (MQA compatible) Bluesound Node as a DAC/preamp (using its audio outputs) is maybe not the best idea. But maybe you can use it simply as a streamer, connecting it digitally (coax or optical) to the A/V Processor.

Ronen

Wow, impressive setup. :)

I think the TV Apps use TV internal DAC only if you output the audio signal directly from the analog audio output of the TV. But I assume that this is not the case here. But I assume that your TV is connected to the A/V Processor via HDMI (or maybe additionally via optical digital/Toslink)? In this case, the A/V Processor would act as DAC for the digital audio signals transmitted from the TV. I assume that such an expensive A/V Processor includes a good DAC. If there is no explicit indication that the A/V Processor is MQA compatible, I would assume that it is not. But the usefulness of MQA is also quite controversial, so I wouldn't necessarily put my priority on it.

Furthermore, you seem to have no stereo setup (2.0 or 2.1), so using the (MQA compatible) Bluesound Node as a DAC/preamp (using its audio outputs) is maybe not the best idea. But maybe you can use it simply as a streamer, connecting it digitally (coax or optical) to the A/V Processor.
Thanks.
My TV is connected to the A/V Processor via HDMI (eARC).
The McIntosh Processor can also produce stereo setup (2.0).
Honestly , Iv'e tested Spotify ( Build in in the processor ) VER Tidal (TV App) Master quality songs , I Didn't notice any major difference.
Need more tests but I understand the direction.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might find the best sound quality could be realized by taking analog out from the NODE directly into your power amp. Worth a try.

Ronen

Hi.
Thanks for a great review !
I have a McIntosh Processor with Spotify build in. It seems to me that Tidal is better , So I'm considering buying the Blusound NODE to be the streamer and use it's internal DAC.

1. To use the Node's internal DAC , What is the BEST way to connect it to a Processor ? TNX.
2. When using my iPhone , What to use : BluOS App or Tidal App for best Audio quality ?
. When using my iPhone. , Is the iPhone perform like a remote only ?

Thank you in advance !!!

Orion76

1. If you want to use the Node's internal DAC, I think you would have to use the RCA outputs.

2. I rarely use the BluOS App. I did a few times to get the settings dialed in back when I first got it. Now I just fire up Spotify or Tidal.

Yes, your iPhone is basically going to be like a remote control for the Node.

Ronen

1. If you want to use the Node's internal DAC, I think you would have to use the RCA outputs.

2. I rarely use the BluOS App. I did a few times to get the settings dialed in back when I first got it. Now I just fire up Spotify or Tidal.

Yes, your iPhone is basically going to be like a remote control for the Node.
Thank you very much!
Very appreciated.

Top Bottom