• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very strange. I have tried with different dacs. Much better sound from spdif. Tried a lot.
Friends are saying the same, and I read that others have same experiences as mine.
See if you can reflash?

LuvTheMusic

Hey Node users, a question: I want to use a tablet or laptop to control my Node. In this case, "control" mainly means searching Qobuz (or other streaming service), and starting / pausing / stopping the music. Searching is primarily for classical music, some rock and jazz, so a keyboard would be nice but I could handle a really good virtual (touch) keyboard interface if it really is easy and responsive.

Obviously the tablet/laptop needs to run the BluOS controller app. I *think* that I can use any of 1) Apple iPad (I'm not an Apple guy, so unsure if all the models would work), 2) a Chromebook capable of running Android apps, or 3) a Windows laptop. (I've used an Android phone, but the tiny screen is a pain for music searching.)

This same device will use a web-based app to control a preamp/processor; anything that can run web apps will work there. I'll also sometimes have the Qobuz web app open to read more about an album that I'm looking for, but the music will be streaming through the Node.

Any suggestions or experiences as to which might be best? Perfectly willing to go with a used device to save some bucks, but I don't need the cheapest choice, just one that will operate smoothly, easily, and reliably.

nstzya

Hey Node users, a question: I want to use a tablet or laptop to control my Node. In this case, "control" mainly means searching Qobuz (or other streaming service), and starting / pausing / stopping the music. Searching is primarily for classical music, some rock and jazz, so a keyboard would be nice but I could handle a really good virtual (touch) keyboard interface if it really is easy and responsive.

Obviously the tablet/laptop needs to run the BluOS controller app. I *think* that I can use any of 1) Apple iPad (I'm not an Apple guy, so unsure if all the models would work), 2) a Chromebook capable of running Android apps, or 3) a Windows laptop. (I've used an Android phone, but the tiny screen is a pain for music searching.)

This same device will use a web-based app to control a preamp/processor; anything that can run web apps will work there. I'll also sometimes have the Qobuz web app open to read more about an album that I'm looking for, but the music will be streaming through the Node.

Any suggestions or experiences as to which might be best? Perfectly willing to go with a used device to save some bucks, but I don't need the cheapest choice, just one that will operate smoothly, easily, and reliably.

I use iPads and iPhones. Do everything you want and form factor can’t be beat.

Last edited:

TK33

I repurposed an old Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and currently use it as my desktop BluOS controller/remote. Love the screen size and form factor of that tablet and it has given the 7-8 year old tablet some new life (BluOS is probably the only app on it and is permanently "pinned" on the screen). Have also used an old iPad (first one with retina display), and my many Android phones. Also have a newer Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE but find myself using BluOS on my smaller tablet or phones more often than not. You can really use your device of choice and I think you will be fine. No need to buy a fancy tablet just for this. Anything that can run your web apps should be fine I think. I did find that I prefer using Android over the Windows BluOS app (simple touch screen instead of switching to the app and using a mouse on Windows and better form factor) but I haven't tried the Windows app in at least a year. Now if you are looking for an excuse to buy a shiny new tablet or laptop and this will help further such cause then that is a different story...

Soundgood

USB output is working with my denafrips ares2. It seems to sound better with the usb than coaxial connection. Would just like to know what is all this anticipation for this usb firmware update about?

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ary- older tablets may be compatible with the Bo

Be wary of using an older tablet-2 of mine won't work with the BluOS app anymore. Once they're a certain age some apps aren't supported.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
USB output is working with my denafrips ares2. It seems to sound better with the usb than coaxial connection. Would just like to know what is all this anticipation for this usb firmware update about?
It was promised and didn’t happen for a long time.

cheapsoundguy

USB sounds great to me as well. Pushing it to a SMSL M400. I plan to add an ADI-2 Pro R BE tomorrow as the DAC.

nstzya

Be wary of using an older tablet-2 of mine won't work with the BluOS app anymore. Once they're a certain age some apps aren't supported.
Just tried my old iPad 3 which can only run up to iOS 9.3.6 and it did not work. Might need to run iOS 10 or newer?

****CORRECTION: Deleted and downloaded BluOS controller app again and it worked. Minimum system requirements per Bluesound are iOS 9.3

Last edited:

tortoise

I tried using USB out with my SMSL SU-9 through Roon, but the sound breaks up every few seconds, and I checked "renderer only" and "MQA core decoder" as someone mentioned earlier. But when I use USB out with Tidal connect and BluOS, it works flawlessly. But I'm so used to using Roon, it feels weird to actually use the TIDAL app/BlueOS for MQA.

Any other things I could change in Roon to make it work with USB out and SU-9?

JGeez

I have tried a number of things to make it work, but I still have the same issue you have. The connection produces periodic static. So, I just stick with Coax. Bluesound has acknowledged that the USB connection does not work with Roon presently.

tortoise

Hopefully they'll fix it. The major flaw of the SU-9 is that MQA only works through USB, not coax or optical. That's why I was excited when the latest firmware update for the Node included USB out.

nstzya

Have you tried it with Node set to “non MQA DAC” to see if you at least get the Node to do your first unfold to 24/96?

tortoise

I just read that post by Bluesound on their message board. It does say they're working on it, which is good, but it doesn't provide a timeline for development. I'm confident they'll find a solution.

Other than the MQA/Roon problem, the Node is fantastic. I only got it a few days ago primarily as a way to connect it to my ARES II DAC, which didn't work well with my laptop when playing Hi Res files using USB. But on the Node, no problems through optical and coax.

Still think the unit is overpriced at $599, especially since the internal DAC isn't anything remarkable. Wish they sold the unit without the DAC for much less.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
couldn't really find any info on this....
was wondering if the sub-out only works in conjunction with RCA's or if it works while an external DAC is connected over USB also?

Srosenberg

If one wished to experiment with a discrete / compact external DAC to bypass the DAC in the node, would something like the hidizs s8 or s9 work via the USB out of the Node? Node USB to Hidizs to RCA inputs on a preamp via a 3.5mm to RCA IC? Might be a lateral move at best, but wondering if it’s possible.

Been in audio for a while… just now exploring streaming and considering a Node, so sorry for the rookie question!

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many people would be happy with the DAC in the new Node... Just IMO
I'm not unhappy with it, myself. But I understand it's mediocre.

Again, the value of this device is in its convenience and flexibility, along with the wide range of streaming services it supports. Adding a good DAC to accept its digital output yields a phenomenal system IMO.

Top Bottom