• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

Henry Pootel

I've ignored the threads regarding sample rate and human perceptual capabilities, but I suppose we could start that here again. LOL! BTW, I agree with you.

However, not all content on Amazon is at 16/44, and so am asking if those numerically overweight audio streams would be delivered to my DAC.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've ignored the threads regarding sample rate and human perceptual capabilities, but I suppose we could start that here again. LOL! BTW, I agree with you.

However, not all content on Amazon is at 16/44, and so am asking if those numerically overweight audio streams would be delivered to my DAC.
Sure, they will.

djigibao

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My bad.
Yes it has...(N130)

Note: When the USB port is enabled, other audio outputs (Analog/COAX/Optical) are disabled

Now I know why optical isn’t working…. :cool:

stringerbell

You will a little longer.

NODE X arrived a couple of days ago. Don't expect the measurements to come within good week (minimum). This one will be done as a two parts review, along with the Bluesound HUB.
Hi, is this review still somehow planned ? I understand that some extensive measurements of the node X were published elsewhere. But the hub is still an unknown to many. So , if you had some findings to share , it would be great
Thanks

knownothing

That would be valuable if the apps were actually part of the review. That is however not the focus here, and the fact that we read about it just anecdotal in case of issues.
And yet, the user experience factored into the overall impression left with reader. The streamer function in the Node (Gen 3) is quite good, the measurements would indicate it is audibly transparent. The internal DAC is another story. I find that the app and using the device as a file server both to be great experiences.

Miguelón

BTW because you are a new member are you aware human hearing stops at 22KHZ for the very best of us. While it is intellectually satisfying to read 24/192 it is a marketing strategy that has started a race that no one can hear. 16/44 is more than adequate and you will note it is double human hearing capabilities.
Hmmm, I can distinguish easily on AB tests 16/44.1 against 24/48. My girlfriend and I both passed the test one to each other.

No one could differentiate 48 against 96 kHz, in another test.

Obviously this has nothing to do with Nyquist limit to high frequencies (22.05 and 24 kHz respectively) as we have more than 40 years old and surely can’t hear over 15-17.000 Hz

Anti-imaging filters have probably more to do with we both perceive in instrumental differentiation and texture realism (we play acoustic instruments, classical music) as passband is really narrow on CD quality files. Also dynamic range improve on films and symphonies with high contrast on intensity indications.

What I think may explain also some difference is the Fourier transform to filter and reverse transformation to signal reconstruction: no matter the case you always loose information in finite case. Completely sure that digital Fourier transforms will give a more precise reconstruction on higher resolutions, as is the case in 2D Fourier analysis on images.

What I’m not sure is how much is the total amount of information loosed in CD compared with 24/48 and if is audible or not. But pretty sure that they will exist changes in audible range of frequencies as one cannot make a finite Fourier transform and its reverse and obtain the original function, even in low frequencies.

At least for us is worth to have some bandwidth at least to 24/48 to provide enough extra data to EQ and filter with less impact on the original recording.

Henry Pootel

Here is an AES publication that discusses this topic: "High-Resolution Audio: A History and Perspective"

Its free to download... unlike this paper that will set you back $33! :)

Miguelón

Here is an AES publication that discusses this topic: "High-Resolution Audio: A History and Perspective"

Its free to download... unlike this paper that will set you back $33! :)

I’m agree with many psychological effects, my DAC is just the humble DAC section of a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (which costs less than 200€ and has 2 mics inputs and a AD converter, plus the software etc… surely the total price of its DAC doesn’t goes over 50€ :) )

I just proposed a mathematical pathway for bypass the “we don’t hear over the Nyquist frequency of a CD so oversampling is just a marketing strategy”.

In fact over sampling is a common practice in recording editing and mastering to prevent aliasing and imaging on final product. Also allows multiple frequency manipulation without subtracting so much information and adding artifacts.

Something like you can take a picture over 40 Mp resolution, work with Photoshop and then publish a final image of 4 Mp enough to the size you want accomplishing the 300 ppp criterion. But if you try with 4 Mp initial file you will obtain a lot of “moiré” patterns or other effects, smoothing, blurring…

Not to justify expensive DACs, I’m pretty exigent with sound and my gear consists on the Focusrite, a pair of Genelecs and a computer. I even think that expensive speakers are overpriced at the expense of psychological effects of marketing on the audiophile world.

But CD can be audibly improved and today is very common to use at least 24 bits/48 kHz format: the total bandwidth will be just a little bit higher than CD (2304 vs 1411 kbps) and we have room to do some digital tricks and dynamic range.

Top Bottom