• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node N100 in 2023 - is it bad?

Guralex

Hi colleagues!

Currently have a setup of KEF LS50 + Cambridge CXA61 and using USB connection or external DAP linked by COAX as a source of digital music.
Was struggling with the next upgrade, thinking between buying a new amp with integrated streamer or buying a Bluesound Node 2i.

HOWEVER I've suddenly found a deal on BlueSound Node n100 for a 100$ which is an amount of money I can spend with no doubt to make my own experience and decide if I really need a streamer at all.

The questions to comrades who own such a black box or have a fresh experience of using it in 2022-2023 are:
1. Does it work fine considering app/integrations/roon? The vendor mentions it still supports the old node. However I'm not really sure if it's true.
2. Does it have a decent DAC comparing to a one built in a budget integrated amp (Cambridge CXA61)?
3. Does this 8-years product in a fine condition still worth 100 bucks? Or modern cheap streamers will do it even better?

C7bZSYFi8AAB9VFTctTjdB-480-80.jpg

I'm really interested in a possibility to waste a little of money and figure out all this "streamers" infrastructure. Just worrying that the product is way to old and will not give me experience-only the e-waste :(

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Does it work fine considering app/integrations/roon? The vendor mentions it still supports the old node. However I'm not really sure if it's true.
2. Does it have a decent DAC comparing to a one built in a budget integrated amp (Cambridge CXA61)?
3. Does this 8-years product in a fine condition still worth 100 bucks? Or modern cheap streamers will do it even better?
1. Yes

2. So-so. It's better to use it as a streamer and feed a DAC through its digital output.
It's not crazy broken either, though.
(I don't compare to the Cambridge I don't know)

3. Sure ! Especially for such a low price.
I have 1 of those, 2 Power Nodes N150 and a NAD M50. It's a very good multi room environment.

Last edited:

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are other $100 solutions that will stream just as well to the internal DAC in your Cambridge, e.g. WiiM Mini, but the Bluesound offers something those don't: it will automatically seek out and index all music files it finds on your network and connected PCs. That means you can play local music without need of a server running somewhere on your network as is the case with DLNA-based solutions.

Again, since you will likely be using the DAC in your amp the performance of this unit is essentially the same as a current Node. Good deal for $100.

It's a fine device to start off with and not yet "e-waste". If someday you want to "improve" upon its sound, you can add a stand-alone DAC. Practically limitless options there.

EDIT: Just noticed @Guralex posted almost three weeks ago. What did you decide to do?

tjf

Hi colleagues!

Currently have a setup of KEF LS50 + Cambridge CXA61 and using USB connection or external DAP linked by COAX as a source of digital music.
Was struggling with the next upgrade, thinking between buying a new amp with integrated streamer or buying a Bluesound Node 2i.

HOWEVER I've suddenly found a deal on BlueSound Node n100 for a 100$ which is an amount of money I can spend with no doubt to make my own experience and decide if I really need a streamer at all.

The questions to comrades who own such a black box or have a fresh experience of using it in 2022-2023 are:

C7bZSYFi8AAB9VFTctTjdB-480-80.jpg

I'm really interested in a possibility to waste a little of money and figure out all this "streamers" infrastructure. Just worrying that the product is way to old and will not give me experience-only the e-waste :(

Thanks in advance!

Answer to # 2: Cirrus CS4398 DAC (15-20 year old 24 bit/192Khz capable)

OP
G

Guralex

There are other $100 solutions that will stream just as well to the internal DAC in your Cambridge, e.g. WiiM Mini, but the Bluesound offers something those don't: it will automatically seek out and index all music files it finds on your network and connected PCs. That means you can play local music without need of a server running somewhere on your network as is the case with DLNA-based solutions.

Again, since you will likely be using the DAC in your amp the performance of this unit is essentially the same as a current Node. Good deal for $100.

It's a fine device to start off with and not yet "e-waste". If someday you want to "improve" upon its sound, you can add a stand-alone DAC. Practically limitless options there.

EDIT: Just noticed @Guralex posted almost three weeks ago. What did you decide to do?
Thanks for your input!

Basically, it came out that the owner of that Node is a total jerk, who has lifted up the price and stated that "I don't really know if it works and what are the conditions. You may buy or you may leave"
So...the question has been resolved automatically :D

However, it was extremely interesting to know an opinion of the community, so, once again, many thanks!

P.S. Will still be looking for a decent streamer. And waiting wot either a good deal or for availability of Wiim PRO/ other decent streamers with digital out

Geertidow

I still own one, still love it. Also own the Node 2 (not the N130 or 2i).
Still can't hear the difference with a separate dac with a better whatever-ASR score.
Recently tested my hearing at a professional institute. Hearing was a bit above average (only measured up to 10kHz.

wang890

i got two N100. both the sd card inside is failing. one is more finicky than the other. and when i switch the sd card and the symptoms also switch. i wasn't able to repair the sd card with software or clone it. Anyone who still has this i hope one day someone can upload an image. not many people had this but the ones do and on forum all has sd card issue. these are good sounding devices. not as good as chord hugo but pretty close. i got both for free i just paid for shipping, it was from another audio group.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought 4 additional Node 100, for another multiroom setup.

You may get them for cheap nowadays (ranges from 100€ to 135€).
I plan to use them with external DAC anyway (N100's internal DAC measures pretty similarly to the N130, tested here by Amir)

There are some issues with the BluOS software, though.
As an example, I raised a ticket on their support since the bass correction is decreasing SNR by 36dB in digital (!) (BluOS 4.2)
With previous version, tone control was still active when it was set to off (!) - but this is now fixed.
And the local USB doesn't seem to work anymore with this version.

Well, the positive aspect is that they still update the software for this old hardware.

And it's a pleasant system to use on a daily base.

Geertidow

Mine ended up disconnecting from wifi continuously, so I replaced for an RP4 with HifiBerry DAC

wang890

Mine ended up disconnecting from wifi continuously, so I replaced for an RP4 with HifiBerry DAC
yeah that's exactly the symptom. one takes a few try to connect. another one connects ok but over night have to reset it. one update firmware ok one fail. kind stupid to use sd card. from my experience small sd cards wear out quite fast vs larger sd card or real ssd. i just saw my two units in a box which i have forgotten haha that's why i started to google and see anything i can do. i like the look of the original units, nice looking device, inside circuitry is well built too except the use of micro sd card.

Top Bottom