• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blues Essentials?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most will stream it, but I'm fortunate enough to be able to listen OTA with my own tuner.
I love having my NAD 4300 tuner. It has great reach (enhanced by the OMNI antenna attached to the chimney at 35 ft) very good separation on strong to medium power stations, the blend could be better on weak or distance stations (but it hasn't bothered me enough to mod it [yet}). Audiophile quality? No. But damn good.

Soandso

Blues triva came to mind from listening to B.B.King and Bobby Bland bantering while jamming (1974; "Together for the 1st Time - Live": side 3 titled "medley"). King leads off ribbing how "Bobby, he's a little bit jealous ... I ain't no refrigerator, I can't keep nothin'...." Several minutes in Bland reminisces how in 1949 when King hosted him on the radio play time was so short & King deadpans he wasn't born yet.

King was a disc jockey in Memphis at station WDIA. His handle was "blues boy" King - which became his moniker of B.B. King.

B.B. King tells in song about when he named his guitar "Lucille". When playing at Twist, Arkansas, a woman instigated a fight that knocked over the heat "tank" [barrel] causing it's gas to run over the floor. He says the "... building caught on fire ... almost burned me up." Lucille was the name of the woman who started the fight.

[B.B. King also credits "Lucille" for saving his life. In a vehicle accident when the car he was in stopped flipping over it fell on Lucille, which held the wreck off of him.]

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
200605_DohenyBBKing02.jpg

Riley B. King was born on a plantation near the town of Itta Bena, Mississippi on September 16, 1925.

Last edited:

jdpurvis

Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa - together and separately. Joe takes his remarkable guitar playing to lots of old masters - while writing and performing a lot of his own works. Beth reminds one of Janis Joplin - but she has a subtlety that Janis might have achieved if she had lived longer. A solo performance from her can be very moving. Taj Mahal and Keb'Mo - together as TajMo - but they are both formidable Blues musicians in their own right. Buddy Guy is always fun. Eric Clapton's take on Robert Johnson (Me and Mr. J), DVD and CD, brings high quality sound as well as performance to these timeless pieces.
Enjoy!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Got some KOOL new blues for y'all.
Hank Williams Jr - Rich White Honky Blues
Ole Bocephus is one hell of a blues picker.
Caution, Adult Lyrics. ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Before I give it a [errrr....] spin, have you heard the new Gorillaz release called "Cracker Island"?
(you are old enough to remember the skit between ChevyChase/RichardPryor...)
I thought Hank Williams was Country...:oops:
--------
Edit during [errrr....] spin:
Rich White Honky Blues
Ole Bocephus is one hell of a blues picker.
Caution, Adult Lyrics. ;)
that
1.Does the audio quality matter whether you listen here do so thru yt?
3.Does yt stream higher quality if you set it for 1080p?
2."Boy, listen to the riff, not the words, I' tellin' yah!"

Last edited:

Martini

Forum Donor
iu

Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
Love this album! Enjoy with your favorite bourbon or scotch in a dim room.

Top Bottom