• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blue Note digital download format(s)???

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was ready to add the new Kandace Springs CD to an Amazon order, then saw that Blue Note is offering 30% off this weekend, making the digital download only $7.

However, when one selects "digital" versus vinyl or CD, it doesn't specify the format.

Anybody know if they only offer mp3? If that's the case, I will just wait for a CD.

Thanks!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting- doesnt say anywhere, does it? Bad form really. I know Bandcamp offer various formats to download post purchase- wonder if BN are the same. Guaranteed it wont be Hi-Res but would be nice to know before buying it would be in FLAC 16/44.1

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
There's an old, old post on head-fi that has a bad link to an older version of the Blue Note site that suggests that they used to sell hi-res formats directly, not just via other sites that offer such downloads.

Your comment re BN jogged my memory to check another site, Presto Music, that expanded from classical to jazz downloads--but they only offer the new CD, with one cut available as a FLAC download. A couple of her earlier albums are available in 44.1/24 or 96/24 there.

I have been streaming it at Master quality on my Tidal trial, and my D10 shows that's a 96k stream. That's immaterial to me, but I do want to get a full-res version and not an mp3 if I download.

HemiRick

Download Audacity and it can capture Tidals stream and save it.....Hi REs for free.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I won't go there.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There's an old, old post on head-fi that has a bad link to an older version of the Blue Note site that suggests that they used to sell hi-res formats directly, not just via other sites that offer such downloads.

Your comment re BN jogged my memory to check another site, Presto Music, that expanded from classical to jazz downloads--but they only offer the new CD, with one cut available as a FLAC download. A couple of her earlier albums are available in 44.1/24 or 96/24 there.

I have been streaming it at Master quality on my Tidal trial, and my D10 shows that's a 96k stream. That's immaterial to me, but I do want to get a full-res version and not an mp3 if I download.
You could take a punt and ask to cancel /refund if they offer less than CD quality?

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I sent them an email and the autoreply suggested they would be back to me by Monday with an answer.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
A couple of days late...and the proverbial dollar short?

1585778565689.png

The record label's own online store doesn't have access to lossless files...but I can buy those from Presto Music????

Seriously?

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple of days late...and the proverbial dollar short?

View attachment 56804

The record label's own online store doesn't have access to lossless files...but I can buy those from Presto Music????

Seriously?

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Im guessing uMusic means Blue Note is an imprint of that lil mom n pop independent, Universal Music. Don't be too hard on them , they hand craft each MP3 and Mom lovingly wraps each one. FLAC would mean re-tooling the whole operation. Or something.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And if they said that upfront when looking at the purchase options, I would have no problem. But they dont.

Asylum Seeker

Try Presto Music. Plenty of BlueNote stuff in Redbook and higher.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Try Presto Music. Plenty of BlueNote stuff in Redbook and higher.

That's what I did earlier this evening. As of last week, the album was not available there.

I just find it utterly disingenuous for uMusic, the official store of UMG, to assert that they "don't have access" to full/hi resolution formats that UMG obviously supplies to other vendors.

Top Bottom