• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blu-spec 2 cd

Would sound improvements, if any come from the CD or transport having less disc read errors ?
Has anyone found any difference between blu-spec and standard CD ?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A regular CD in good condition has zero read errors. ...

slightly off topic Q...
By that you mean zero C2 and CU errors or even zero C1 errors ?

mansr

Major Contributor
slightly off topic Q...
By that you mean zero C2 and CU errors or even zero C1 errors ?
I mean the audio data is recovered without errors. Even with a pristine disc, there will be a non-zero error rate in the raw data stream. Some will be corrected by the EFM decoder and the rest by the CIRC correction. It takes a scratch or bad smudge to cause an uncorrectable error.

Some day when I'm bored, I should poke around in my old CD players and see if any of them have a signal allowing the actual error rate to be observed.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My Technics SLPJ33 had C1, C2 and CU error flags on the processor chip.
In those days I worked in the service dept of Technics (the Netherlands) as audio/video/TV repairman and had access to all schematics.
A direct connection to the flag (buffered) gave such short pulses they weren't visible at all.
Built 3 monostable flipflops which connected to these error flags to lengthen the very short pulse flags so they became visible as a short blink on an LED. The darn thing is still playing (my brother has it).
The C1 error lit up regularly even with new discs, the C2 only now and then on some discs. Both gave no audible differences when blinking.
I some discs the C1 almost lit up constantly (the real flags were shorter but the FF was re-triggerable)
Had some damaged discs that now and then triggered the CU LED. The player did 'sample and hold' at that moment.
Even an occasional blink remained inaudible.
When it lit up like a Christmas tree you could here degradation/ticks.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
^ That sounds like a cool addition.

My Sony Discman seemed to miss samples here and there. Not audible in music, but when recorded and compared to the original files from which a disc was burnt. I also ripped the same CD-R, and the rip was 100% fine, so it was either the Discman or the ADC or some computer buffer glitch.

There are some tools for checking the errors on a disc in a computer drive. The disc is read a faster than 1x speed, but a report is made with number of errors in particular areas. Nice to check a burnt disc is still good after some time.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Just saw this on YouTube.
So they Basically use Blu-ray technology for audio CDs.

Top Bottom