• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blocking Addblock

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In comparison, Audiokarma's main page had 11 advertisements and 5 trackers blocked in the first few seconds.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Privacy essentials says there is a tracker on this page it blocked too. Probably that 'share' thing.
"googletagmanager" is a service from Google that almost every website uses for analytics. We gather anonymous stats on usage of the site. It is not advertising but I guess it is a "tracker" even though it doesn't track individuals.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I started using adblock when a forum I used to frequent all the time had so many dynamic (flash) ads that my computer would come down to a crawl. The fan would run and it would get so hot I could not leave it on my lap! They really abused the computing power of every visitor that way. It is one thing to show ads, it is another when it kills the performance of the computer viewing it.

It doesn't sound like adverts from your description.

There are websites that nefariously tap into users'computers to do blockchain mining for them ... thus adding to their computing load, and causing the system to go into full load mode. I have encountered it once before and it was pretty strange until I came across such an article about it.

Adverts should not be able to slow down a computer signficantly, perhaps add to the interweb traffic and slow downloading speeds, that's about it.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It doesn't sound like adverts from your description.
This is pre-blockchain era and hence slower computers too. I just went there and they have gotten rid of some of that business. It used to have multiple flash windows popping up.

Top Bottom