1. WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Blocking Addblock

Discussion in 'Fun topics, videos, etc.' started by NorthSky, Dec 6, 2017.

1. NorthSky

NorthSky Major Contributor

Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
    Some forum members encourage their good fellow members to use Addblock for improving speed, surfing, etc. Most sites encourage you to explore adds of interest by clicking on them.
    I usually click on adds and often buy the products I'm interested in, like Blu-rays, some TVs, many Blu-ray players, HDMI cables, computer equipment, phones, batteries, adaptors, connectors, power cords, etc., etc., etc. I spent easily in excess of half million dollars on buying advertised products from some sites that I am a member of in the last twenty years. I don't use Addblock when surfing 99% of the time with portable devices.

And yet, on one site where I am a respectable member with the utmost impeccable reputation and coordination and contribution, I got this:

"NorthGalaxy, because we have detected that you are, or have recently been blocking adverts, your account has been limited. Click here to find out how and why your account has been limited. While we respect your right to block ads, in order to make the funds we need to keep AVForums running, we encourage you to allow, and if they are of interest, click our adverts. Learn how to disable ad blocking on AVForums here.
    Thank you."

I understand very well that my spendings help the community. And my contributions help to promote the site's philosophy. There are many websites, for audio/video products where members are encouraged to purchase the advertised audio/video products. That's why they have forums with many members, to expand the people experience and knowledge, to share and enjoy the camaraderie.

Knowledge is part of science, discussions and various opinions are part of forums communities.
    Explorations, discoveries, analyses, experimentations...are all part of education, advancement, living in a better more informed world.

How many millions of dollars does it take to enjoy music and movies?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. amirm

amirm Founder/Admin CFO (Chief Fun Officer) Staff Member

That's pretty unusual in a forum. I have only seen restrictions on news sites, not forums.

3. Wombat

Wombat Active Member

I accept traditional advertising as a means to subsidise or pay for services but when my web browsing comes back at me as multiple targeted advertisements or email offers I am not pleased. Sites that allow these Ads. get blocked by me and unsolicited emails get unsubscribed, then deleted. Enough, I say.

Recently my mobile phone service provider sent me an email proudly announcing the activation of international roaming on my phone. I didn't ask for it, don't want it, told them so in reply - haven't heard back.. The same provider should be so proactive about their IP service problems.

4. NorthSky

NorthSky Major Contributor

Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
    What I quoted there in blue is the exact message I got each time I log in.
    It feels like...unwelcome.

5. Wombat

Wombat Active Member

I recently posted a DIY article on AUDIOKARMA. Because the article was about a particular product and information on pricing and sourcing of the product was included the post was relegated to the Dollars and Sense thread - lost in the for-sale and wanted items.

I then noticed the plethora of paid advertisements that are on the site - possibly because after stripping my PC and reloading it I haven't reinstalled the Ad-blocker yet. My observation is that forum sites that have advertisers become protective of them and members need to toe-the-line.

6. Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88 Major Contributor

Gearslutz forums have a warning too. They don't block you, but just nag you to turn off the adblocker.

BTW, if you haven't tried it ublock origin and umatrix are better adblockers than Adblock Plus to me.