• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blizzard was, like, totally right about the Teac NT-503

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Glad to see you check in Bill. Look around, the forum has grown a bit, and some worthwhile threads, posts and test results. I think you'll dig it at least a little bit.

OP
wgscott

wgscott

Glad to see you check in Bill. Look around, the forum has grown a bit, and some worthwhile threads, posts and test results. I think you'll dig it at least a little bit.

Thanks.

OP
wgscott

wgscott

Scott, what is the difference you hear on the filters?

The only ones I can reliably identify without looking are the DSD filters. I think they sound audibly inferior; my test is being able to detect when someone has inadvertently changed the setting (as happens in a multi-luser household).

I decided to use linear rather than min phase PCM filtering with a sharp cutoff, mainly because I have also been using Dirac room correction (which gets applied before the signal reaches the DAC), thinking that this would theoretically do the least harm. However, I cannot distinguish it from the other non-DSD options by ear.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks Bill. I am overdue on performing some listening tests on these filters.

BTW, you owe me $15!!! Ask me why :)

As to the original topic of this thread, I have a Teac NT-503 coming my way for testing! Should be here tomorrow.

OP
wgscott

wgscott

Why?

The only thing I can think of is this:

Last edited:
OP
wgscott

wgscott

It is the soundtrack to a movie (of the same title). I think without that context, it would be a bit odd, even by Talking Heads standards.

I wonder if HDtracks ever replaced the upsampled tracks with the ones that were claimed to be higher res? (If you have those still, I would happily buy them off you for $15).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is the soundtrack to a movie (of the same title). I think without that context, it would be a bit odd, even by Talking Heads standards.

I wonder if HDtracks ever replaced the upsampled tracks with the ones that were claimed to be higher res? (If you have those still, I would happily buy them off you for $15).
I don't know but I am not willing to spend another $15 to find out! :D I went to look for that album but can't find it. I actually like some Talking Head music just not that album.

David Chesky is an old colleague and I did connect with him later. He said they now have QC tools to catch upsampled CDs. So much so that the likes of Bob Katz were complaining that the filter was stopping him for supplying 24-bit/44.1Khz files to the service! His argument was that he could deliver the 24-bit version without having to dither down to 16 bits.

OP
wgscott

wgscott

I probably have it on a DVD. It's yours if you want it.

But, again, thank you for doing the analysis. (Reading over that thread, I can't believe how conciliatory I was. I think I am getting even crankier as old age takes its toll.)

A.wayne

I don't know but I am not willing to spend another $15 to find out! :D I went to look for that album but can't find it. I actually like some Talking Head music just not that album.

David Chesky is an old colleague and I did connect with him later. He said they now have QC tools to catch upsampled CDs. So much so that the likes of Bob Katz were complaining that the filter was stopping him for supplying 24-bit/44.1Khz files to the service! His argument was that he could deliver the 24-bit version without having to dither down to 16 bits.

Where did you work with DC .... ?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Where did you work with DC .... ?
Sorry I didn't mean "work with" when I said colleague. I meant as an industry colleague.

When I was at Microsoft David came to visit us and ask for collaboration on advancing high fidelity digital music distribution.

A.wayne

Sorry I didn't mean "work with" when I said colleague. I meant as an industry colleague.

When I was at Microsoft David came to visit us and ask for collaboration on advancing high fidelity digital music distribution.

In the early 90's he would hand out his CD's for me to demo in our room , usually spent time with us discussing the industry and the Audio business in general ..

Glad to see he is still at it ....

Regards

Btw, Just read your Bio/technical back ground , obviously well educated and experienced , a bit ideological re: Harman but with a deep understanding of electronics and audio in general , so i have to conclude your just freaking Deaf ..

:)

Not bad for a deaf guy .....

Last edited:
Top Bottom