• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blind tests at home. What can YOU hear?

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Most readers want more information about a product than a set of mere measurements can provide, but fundamentally the sound quality of a product is an important part of it's utility that should not be ignored.

The question is, to what extent to measurements matter?

From an academic point of view, there is a great deal of research into the capabilities of human hearing.

But that's really for manufacturers who are selling goods to thousands of people and must target their product to a general, very large, ear.

(if wax is good for skis, can you ski on wax?)

Find out for yourself what you can hear and what you cannot.

Then you can evaluate the test results our friend Amir kindly provides for your own situation.

audiocheck dot net

Be careful about using test tones with headphones. Due Diligencia!

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Judging from past posts, where people relayed recordings from different amps, embedded distortion etc, my ability to hear them is ... embarrassingly bad.

I am not a trained listener. So, to summarize: acoustically, most measurements from our Senpai Amir are completely useless to me. Even my bog standard AVR sounds completely clean to my ears.

Still, when presented with a choice, I rather give my money to a company that demonstrated engineering excellence and loving attention to detail, like RME. So the measurements do have value and influence my purchasing decisions.

Top Bottom