• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blind test your speaker cables vs...

DanielT

Major Contributor
Some thin installation cable, lamp cord and so on. The thinner the better. You can get that type of cable, 10m/32ft for around US $2-8.
35-432_xxl_1.jpg

Blind test, and the result is?
(buying cord for hardly any money at all is easy. Sensibly performed blind test requires reading to se how it is done, so it is to be performed in a in a good way)

Somewhere you will hear a difference, the only question is how thin and long the cable is needed. Not a theoretical exercise now but a practical blind test ditto. Do you not hear any difference with the length I suggested? Increase by 3 times, 4 times and so on longer. The cord itself is not expensive, so try it out.:)

Come back when you have tested and tell us about your results.:)

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
No need. I know wire is wire, period.
Nop test, blind test. Buy a 50 m , 164 ft lamp cord , thin installation cable in that case. Sooner or later you will hear a difference. The only question is when? That's what I'm interested in.:)

...100 m..150 m..(ok then maybe it will be a bit too much money for a small blind test, should be added). :)

When you get to a long that's too long for the gauge of wire being used, you will hear something... most likely pop, then silence.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some thin installation cable, lamp cord and so on. The thinner the better. You can get that type of cable, 10m/32ft for around US $2-8.
View attachment 232356

Blind test, and the result is?
(buying cord for hardly any money at all is easy. Sensibly performed blind test requires reading to se how it is done, so it is to be performed in a in a good way)

Somewhere you will hear a difference, the only question is how thin and long the cable is needed. Not a theoretical exercise now but a practical blind test ditto. Do you not hear any difference with the length I suggested? Increase by 3 times, 4 times and so on longer. The cord itself is not expensive, so try it out.:)

Come back when you have tested and tell us about your results.:)
Yes, your brain will think you hear differences. But you need to do the testing a lot. Over and over to be able to demonstrate a statistically significant ability to tell the difference... which no one can.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yes, your brain will think you hear differences. But you need to do the testing a lot. Over and over to be able to demonstrate a statistically significant ability to tell the difference... which no one can.
That's right, buying cheap cord is not the challenge. It's just to buy. Which, by the way, is actually the exercise, the purpose of this thread. Learn about blind tests, try performing them.:)

Nobody can what?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I'll leave that to others. I know what I know. Have fun!
Yes, I'll try that. Continue with my little blind tests. I tested this:

By the way. I heard..zero,zip nada, no difference at all.:)

Edit:
I buy some thin cheap installation cables a week and..

:)

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With a long enough cable vs a short fat one you will get a frequency response change which can reach audible levels. The problem is every speaker has different impedances and how long a cable you hear with yours is different than what someone else has with their speaker. I've some speakers with less than an ohm in the treble. You'll hear the thin long cable in not so long lengths. IF someone has a speaker with a real low impedance in the upper bass that might be easily heard too. On Maggies, 100 ft likely isn't enough.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Using one of many online speaker wire calculators, anyone can pop in some data and see how insignificant most differences are between cables, outside of pathological scenarios.

Better than pathological scenarios is to test them in reality. He he.:)

What does this matter , cord for $5 for a test? Nothing to get upset about. On the contrary. Try it, I'm just saying.I probably won't hear a difference and it only cost me $5 to test it.:)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i realize the more "creative" audiophiles think cables are a magic bullet. I don't happen to believe that; what you propose would be proving or disproving someones else's insupportable premise. Hard pass.

i do however terminate my speaker cables:

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Aha, now I can't download that pdf but you, like me, live in Sweden, the next time you're at Biltema (nick nack store with various stuff, which all Swedes go to), buy those cords I showed in my starting post, $11 and test, we can then blind test:

"CABLE FLAT 2-WIRE 25MX0.75MM
35-433
Color: White
Length: 25m" (82ft)
Article number: 35-433

Edit:
I know you like to test....$11, 25m lamp cord for the speakers.:)

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
It is important to test your cables. Here, Soundbrigade performs a serious listening test. He couldn't hear anything strange with his cables, lol.:)

ht_test.jpg

From this thread:

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you can hear a difference between cables (and it is certainly possible with wild enough cables and speakers and amps) then which one is more accurate? Well, welcome to the world of electrical test and science.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aha, now I can't download that pdf but you, like me, live in Sweden, the next time you're at Biltema (nick nack store with various stuff, which all Swedes go to), buy those cords I showed in my starting post, $11 and test, we can then blind test:

"CABLE FLAT 2-WIRE 25MX0.75MM
35-433
Color: White
Length: 25m" (82ft)
Article number: 35-433

Edit:
I know you like to test....$11, 25m lamp cord for the speakers.:)
Cable testing? Nah, that is not my cup of tea... :)

Top Bottom