• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blind test: we have a volunteer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I also had the thought that GO wins here regardless of the outcome. If he passes the test he’ll be a certified golden ear, if he fails, the amount of traffic this drives to his YT channel will be worth the embarrassment.
Nah, I will do a video on the outcome and outpost him. :D

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Well, we're on firm ground here. @GoldenOne:
1622594084273.png

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
This is getting ridiculous now.

You can't destroy him, only he can do that.

So be kind and fair and allow him to do it.
Not looking to do that at all. I thought the D&D reference was pretty funny: the gambler's theme in the choice of blind test procedures above, his choice in deciding his path, the journey difficult, outcome uncertain, etc. etc. Epic stuff.

A joke in poor taste then. Or maybe too obscure.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not looking to do that at all. I thought the D&D reference was pretty funny: the gambler's theme in the choice of blind test procedures above, his choice in deciding his path, the journey difficult, outcome uncertain, etc. etc. Epic stuff.

A joke in poor taste then. Or maybe too obscure.

Yeah, too obscure for me. Is my point also obscure to you?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Yeah, too obscure for me. Is my point also obscure to you?
Yours is not:)

The value in this is the actual test and whatever level of rigorousness we can achieve. The less doubt in the actual procedure and results, the easier it is to shift the conversation to something more useful. It would be a pity if it didn't happen because we chased him away.

Andysu

Major Contributor
So this is what a blind listening test is?
Not a single bit of test equipment. All I see is pair of hands. :D Not even a common multi-meter. No scope, no REQ TrueRTA on his computer screen and even, captain Kirk has all that on the viewer screen.

Emlin

Yours is not:)

The value in this is the actual test and whatever level of rigorousness we can achieve. The less doubt in the actual procedure and results, the easier it is to shift the conversation to something more useful. It would be a pity if it didn't happen because we chased him away.

Sorry, but I thought that that was what I was saying too.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

syn08

Does anybody know about anything good coming out of such challenges, whatever the outcome was?

McFly

There's nothing scientific about the way this 'blind test' is being hyped up. Sure, you may be using scientific methods to conduct the test, but the way its being prepared is going to discourage unbiased test participants, if any test participants at all.

If you were about to do a taste test for Coca-Cola and you had a crowd of people watching and yelling about your potential ridiculed results, would you really want to do the test?

Blind tests should be done quietly, and the results published and analyzed privately with any and all parties admitting to the publishing of results beforehand. If test subjects claimed they knew the results beforehand and were proved wrong, they would at least have some chance to deal with their dissonance before being publicly stoned.

What I'm saying is noone's going to step up to a blind test where there's a chance they will be publicly murdered by words post test whether right or wrong. Amir has enough clout now that he could conduct anonymous blind tests and damn near everyone would believe the results.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Successful how? :)

The DACs used had substantial and different audible roll-off and weren't exactly high quality DACs.
That probably was the reason he thought he could reliable blind test and prove it could be done and not all DACs sound the same (they don't).
Of course no one was there to witness and validate we have to trust the not trustworthy reviewer.. (anyone can guess who he was and what axe he is grinding day in day out)

TK750

We should together ensure that he can do a fair test in a fair way, without prejudgement. THAT is science.

I mean a cursory scroll through this thread shows that this is already impossible. It's a shame how childish and petty people are on this website sometimes, reminds me of a school playground. All the criticism of what 'he/they will say when he gets it wrong' and the guy hasn't even said anything of the sort yet. What about if he gets it right? You think people here won't do the exact same thing and come out with a multitude of different excuses/explanations? Personally it's something I struggle to believe without seeing someone do it myself, we have the opportunity to do that. Can we at least prevent the inevitable shitshow that will ensue, regardless of the results, until the actual results are out? Discussing methodology and how to ensure a fair test is clearly very important and of value. The underlying scorn and sneering, in my opinion, not so much

A Surfer

Major Contributor
The DACs used had substantial and different audible roll-off and weren't exactly high quality DACs.
That probably was the reason he thought he could reliable blind test and prove it could be done and not all DACs sound the same (they don't).
Of course no one was there to witness and validate we have to trust the not trustworthy reviewer.. (anyone can guess who he was and what axe he is grinding day in day out)
Yes I suspect I know the mean spirited soul you are alluding to. If it is who I am thinking about, the chief axe grinder, he once made fun of a head-fi member's daughters disability calling her a retard in one of his replies. he quickly back-peddled, but the off the cuff original post is the more accurate window into that persons character. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom