• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blind test: we have a volunteer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Who is going to administer, witness and check validity of the test ?
I am OK with the first pass being a camera on him while he takes a proper blind test. If the results are too good to be true, then we look at having witnesses there and such for a confirmation round. The threat of this follow up should keep him honest. :)

Alternatively if we have someone close to him from the forum, he/she can go there and observe.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why doesn't he buy Magnius.

If he succeeds in the challenge, amir can pay for the value of Magnius in addition to the $1000 charity donation?

If he fails, he cops the cost :-(
Sure. I can front the cost of a Magnius to him.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
for a double blind test neither you nor the 'helper' knows which DAC is playing at a certain moment.

you can't 'press the button' on your own, and the 'helper' cannot tell you he pushed the button. you can't hear him or see him push the button.

they must be in complete sync as well (Roon multizone?)
While I use Roon multi-zone for that purpose, I have not studied it with rigor to know that it has no "tells." One DAC may for example be a bit ahead and behind for example.

That's why I like to focus on headphone amp because he has really gone on the limb with Magnius and said all kinds of things that are wrong with it. So it should be walk in the park for him to pass that test blind.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sure. I can front the cost of a Magnius to him.

Maybe Schiit is willing to loan one ?

They would really benefit from this as now they have a 'negative' review online and when the reviewer cannot distinguish it in a blind test from a holo May this may increase sales of the Magnius.

Looking forward to the initial test. I wonder how he is going to test 'blind' on his own having to switch (randomly) between 2 DACs with different? output voltages.

Doing a proper blind test with DACs is not as simple as it sounds. For instance direct switching between outputs is not the correct way as one can detect delay differences between DACs so there should be a short 'silence' between switching of equal length for instance.

Last edited:

Pennyless Audiophile

I am OK with the first pass being a camera on him while he takes a proper blind test. If the results are too good to be true, then we look at having witnesses there and such for a confirmation round. The threat of this follow up should keep him honest. :)

Alternatively if we have someone close to him from the forum, he/she can go there and observe.
I live in the UK, so maybe, we are not too far away. If it can be useful.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the MQA thread I pointed out the OP had post a video where he made all kinds of observations about the sound of Schiit Magnius and how it was not a good product. Here it is if you want to (or can) watch it:

The reviewer responded that he is ready to do such a test so I thought I create a new thread on it:

I have promised $1000 to his favorite charity if he gets such a test right.

Per above though, he is offering to test something else than what I asked as he no longer has the Magnius. So let's explore what we should have him test that he has access to.
Does he have to donate $1000 if he loses the test

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

BrEpBrEpBrEpBrEp

Shouldn't the test also be made sure to be done with XLR outputs? Since IIRC the Magnius had much worse performance on the 1/4" out.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Maybe Schiit is willing to loan one ?

They would really benefit from this as now they have a 'negative' review online and when the reviewer cannot distinguish it in a blind test from a holo May this may increase sales of the Magnius.

Looking forward to the initial test. I wonder how he is going to test 'blind' on his own having to switch (randomly) between 2 DACs with different? output voltages.

Doing a proper blind test with DACs is not as simple as it sounds. For instance direct switching between outputs is not the correct way as one can detect delay differences between DACs so there should be a short 'silence' between switching of equal length for instance.
Schitts over at SABF doing advertisements and making comments to drum up sales,any way they should since they're his by-proxy

Chocomel

I think it would be better if the first test was one where the results would be conclusive. I can imagine GO doesn't wanna feel like he's doing tests until he gets it wrong or where the other party seems to keep moving the goal posts.

I don't see a need for him to put up any of his own money unless he wants to for some reason.

Lord Victor

Golden Sound generally seems like one of the most honest/objective reviewers out there at the moment, so I wouldn’t be too worried - the fact that he aims to use proper switches and measurements in the first place should speak volumes, but lets see! This should certainly be entertaining if nothing else...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Golden Sound generally seems like one of the most honest/objective reviewers out there at the moment
Objective? That is not remotely a word I would use for his reviews. We wouldn't be in this thread if his review was objective: it would have been a blind test at start. On honesty, my experience with him is the opposite so let's not go there.

Rthomas

Forum Donor
Doesn't this guy have a very expensive Holo Audio R2R magic DAC?

I'd love to see him blind test that against a competent $500 DAC.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ugh... The schiit magnius isn't that expensive, is it?
If I felt I was in a position to contradict DACs measurements by ear, had publicly made that point and, had been offered a high visibility contest benefiting a charity, I would rush to buy one.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will follow this to see if there actually will be a blind test at some point.
I've seen this before somewhere else and then right before it's time to do the actual testing there are suddenly all kind of (time related) excuses and eventually the test never takes place.
Really hope GS will follow though on this one, can't wait for the result.

Chocomel

Doesn't this guy have a very expensive Holo Audio R2R magic DAC?

I'd love to see him blind test that against a competent $500 DAC.
Yes the holo may, it was actually his initial offer to test that versus a topping E30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom