• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blind test rig to compare DACs

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I decided to build an audible transparent test rig with some parts I had on hand and a few new components:

ARX RS-1
This is a remote XLR switch controlled that can switch inputs with a 12-volt trigger reviewed here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/arx-rs-1-xlr-ab-switcher-review.15328
With SINAD of 133, this device is audibly transparent but there is some crosstalk, so that may be an issue.
Cost: $299.20 (somewhat expensive, but I had one on-hand).

12V 1A 0.8A 0.5A Power Supply
This power supply is UL listed and has a tip with wire screws.
Cost: $13.99

Shelly 1 Relay Switch
This device is tiny (2" puck) that includes a build-in WiFi with setup access point and web page control.
Just connect to it from a phone and set it up for your network.
Cost: $15.50
Once setup, these is the command to turn the switch On:
And to turn off:
The response is the Json with the switch state.,

Once they are all wired together, I have a method to programmatically use a URL to switch the XLR ports using the RS-1.
This is working now!

Now all I need is write the program to do the blind testing.

Here is the setup for testing:

- Connect both DACs to the ARX SR-1 test assembly (with web control function)
- Level Match the outputs at 2.83 volts playing 1 1kHz 0dBFS tone and an RMS multi-meter (in this case a Fluke 87V)
- Stream content from Roon using grouped zones. Roon can also be used to level match if needed.

Now I have to write the software in Visual Studio.
Here is what I am thinking it contains:

- DAC1 description (this is the default with the relay off)
- DAC2 description
- Test Count - The number of tests to run. Default 10.
- Start button - Starts the test.
- For Each test, the random DAC is selected, the user can listen to tracks with Roon switching as many times as desired and then selects the DAC that he/she think is playing.
- Once selected, the information is recorded in a log file with the actual DAC playing and the user selection.
- At the completion of all tests, the result total correct selections are recorded and displayed.

Thoughts on this project?

- Rich

Last edited:

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very cool!

I am very interested in seeing your results.

If I may request, I would like a comparison between DACs of different decades. This may add levels of complexity but if you could include CD player DACs in the mix that would be great... say an original Sony or Phillips CD player from the early to mid 80s, a dedicated outboard DAC from the 90s, and another from the beginning of this millennium?

Webninja

Forum Donor
What is the goal of the test?

In other words, what is your hypothesis that you are trying to prove?

Seems like there are enough measurements on DAC transparency across brands and price ranges. Curious what you are aiming for.

OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the goal of the test?

In other words, what is your hypothesis that you are trying to prove?

Seems like there are enough measurements on DAC transparency across brands and price ranges. Curious what you are aiming for.

I have been listening to the MiniDSP SHD and Benchmark DAC3 with a manual switch level matched using a multi-meter.
They sound different. I'd like to blind the test to see if this difference persists, for my own edification of course. ;)

- Rich

Top Bottom