• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blind test - can you tell the class D amp from original loop in ABX

Can you hear a difference between the files

• I can hear a difference and I have an ABX result

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I cannot hear a difference

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, in this particular abx, file 2 is slightly louder. Did you volume match before abx? If you did, which app did you use to adjust volume?
I've not listened to these yet. But yes I check volume matching. I'd use Audacity, select a few sections and see what the RMS level was. Making sure I compare the same sections. You can go with normalize in some cases.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
For the SINAD aficionados, here is the distortion plot into the 6.8 resistor used. As a reminder, the peak in the recorded sample corresponds to some 120W/6.8 ohm sine power.

abxtest_amp_sinad.png

abxtest_amp_thdnfreq.png

THD and THD+N vs. frequency at 20W/6.8 ohm

Re volume matching, there will always be a mismatch of 0.01dB order, depending on the level where the matching was done.

1636962494573.png
1636962589545.png

This is statistics of both files.

The mismatch here is 0.06dB in Average RMS Power. This is below audibility threshold. Absolute level matching is possible only if the transfer function is ideally straight.

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
This was the first time I used the ABX plugin on foobar, I didn't use the replay gain option, should I have used it? Should I always use replay gain for some other tests I have in mind (mp3 vs flac and such)?
No, you should not use a replay gain. Normal listening conditions should be maintained.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
No, you should not use a replay gain. Normal listening conditions should be maintained.
Interesting.....

I did one without replay gain last Saturday and I got 6/8. I thought the ~0.07db louder file 2 was given me unfair advantage.

Thus, all my abx yesterday were with replaygain option turned on. As you can see, song one was increase by ~0.07db in loudness as compared to song 2.

So, what does that say about my results?

If I do not use replay gain, you think it would make no difference?

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Deltawave screenshots.

PKMetric with match gain option enabled. Left channel:
pkmetric_with_match_gain_left_channel.PNG

PKMetric with match gain disable:
pkmetric_without_volume_match_left_channel.PNG

Does that ~0.07db volume match matter? Based on the charts, I think it matters.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Deltawave screenshots.

PKMetric with match gain option enabled. Left channel:
View attachment 165690

PKMetric with match gain disable:
View attachment 165691

Does that ~0.07db volume match matter? Based on the charts, I think it matters.
While it is enough to matter on null calculations what we know of hearing is the level differences less than .1 db either don't matter or matter very little. The evidence is they don't matter.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I tried without replay gain today.

First one 6/8, then 5/8, and 5/8 for the next two. I found my ears definitely got tired after those tests. Decided to take a break for a few hours and tried again. Last one got 6/8. So, total of 22/32. About 2.5% chance of guessing.

6_8_no_replaygain_abx1.PNG

5_8_no_replaygain_abx2.PNG
5_8_no_replaygain_abx3.PNG

6_8_no_replaygain_abx4.PNG

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried without replay gain today.

First one 6/8, then 5/8, and 5/8 for the next two. I found my ears definitely got tired after those tests. Decided to take a break for a few hours and tried again. Last one got 6/8. So, total of 22/32. About 2.5% chance of guessing.

View attachment 165785
View attachment 165786View attachment 165787
View attachment 165788
Do you think having done it first with replay gain made it easier to perceive when you didn't use Replay gain?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Do you think having done it first with replay gain made it easier to perceive when you didn't use Replay gain?
Actually, no. To my surprise, same strategy didn't work well when I did my practice run. I ended up listened differently when doing my 32 tests.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
BTW, since you and PMA insisted that ~0.07db difference does not matter, I might as well add all my results together.

53/82. 0.5% chance of guessing.

maty

Major Contributor
JRiver MC v28.0.81 + all my win optimizations.

* DSP: Parametric Equalizer + Convolution -> easy test.

* DSP: PKHarmonic (H2 -120dB, H4 -150dB) + Parametric Equalizer + Convolution -> I am unable to differentiate!

BTW, the best sound is with PKHarmonic plugin

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
What you’re doing is called P-stacking and it’s generally very much frowned upon.
Same songs and same setup. What is the problem?

You have to account for ear fatigue too. What is the issue of taking breaks and do testing at different times?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't combine those with and without Replay gain.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Inconsistency of results is a good indicator of randomness of results. Still the statistics game, no reliability. To me, no proof.

Yes and no replay gain to be used. Under a microscope we can always see something.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Maybe a stupid question, but if a difference is so tiny, that even people that concentrate like hell, and maybe have even better hearing than i, its hard for them to make it out, and every mix i hear is very different, why i should care?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Inconsistency of results is a good indicator of randomness of results. Still the statistics game, no reliability. To me, no proof.
Or it can mean at the edge of audibility......Does not matter too much.
; )

Anyway, with your attitude, I am done. Not going to give feedback of what I heard.
: P

Top Bottom