• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Black & White Pictures Only | Not A Single Word

Soandso

BE4B2956-D2D4-4EC0-97B2-3D2AC5E9F15F.jpeg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Black bear! A tidbit of info. The grizzly bear population on the eastern slopes of the Rockies has quadrupled in the recent 15 years and the black bear population quadrupled years ago so by now it is probably pretty populated. Most bear attacks are occurring in national and provincial parks due to tourists causing stress to the animals and frustration grows until somebody gets mauled. Something like 74% of bear attacks are on women and of those attacks something like 90% are serious maulings. So the idea is to avoid parks, watch the women and don't aggravate the bears. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Fortunately, we have only black bears in the east. ;)
Black bear maulings tend to be repeat maulings on one person. Like the black bear mauls the person and then sits down for a few minutes and comes back and mauls again. According to accounts the grizzlies maul but they get it out in one big effort. Black bear maulings tend to have the face and scalp torn off or hanging by flesh and are very gruesome. I've seen many many black bears, one grizzly when we where walking a pipeline shooting for grouse and when I was up at the far north we had run ins with brown bears. I was warned very sternly about brown bears when we were on a fishing trip for Northern Pike/Jackfish. Sure enough about 1am there where brown bears outside the cabin trying to get into the cabin. We where unarmed and very concerned because the bears could smell the fish. We braced the door so the bears could not push it in and eventually they left for somewhere. Brown bears are larger than a grizzly and can be very troublesome and aggressive.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No bears have ever bothered me; despite the fact that I don't carry any bear-spray.
They've left me alone because I pretend I am a South American lost tourist.:cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No bears have ever bothered me; despite the fact that I don't carry any bear-spray.
They've left me alone because I pretend I am a South American lost tourist.:cool:
There was a bear mauling several days ago. A camper was sitting drinking his coffee and a bear mauled him just like that. No idea of the damage but if it's a black bear it's bound to be horrible. I stay away from them. It's just the best action plan I can think of.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LoL... This video from Parks Canada states bear spray is effective more than 90% of the time. Not good results in my opinion. A 12G shotgun with 22cal rounds in it direct to the face will stop a bear though. I used to pick blueberries in the sub alpine. They are very sweet and yummy compared to grocery store blueberries and the bears love them too. I've been picking on one side of a big berry bush and there's been a bear ~30 feet over eating another bush. I slowly moved away and was pretty scared. I never went back to that spot again.

HIGHLIGHTS: Man describes killing mountain lion during attack​

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Old joke:
Two engineer buddies camping; see a bear in the woods.
The EE hurriedly starts putting on his sneakers.
The ME sez: "You can't outrun a bear!"
The EE replies: "I aim to outrun you!"

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202306_ZuckMuskBW.jpg

Top Bottom