• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Black Lion Audio White Sparrow DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 80 54.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 57 39.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

P_M

Black Lion Audio White Sparrow DAC Measurements
I started my testing with S/PDIF connection:

View attachment 205764

Very surprised to see such a jungle of spikes around our main tone which likely indicates jitter. There is also power supply noise which may be the source of said jitter (or some of it). I should note that on power up, one channel had much more distortion which pulled SINAD down to 90 dB but it climbed up after 1 minute of warm up.
@amirm
why do you think its power supply "noise" ? I don't see any fundamental 60hz (or 120,180hz) spikes ?
That looks like jitter. Is the jitter frequency close to 60hz ? If so it could be emi induced jitter from the transformer or nearby ac lines. or maybe just physical vibration of the crystal from the transformer if too close or not isolated properly. Can you open it up and show us the insides ?

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciated the built-in AC power supply.
Thank you for the thorough review.:)
I seems you do prefer built-in AC/DC power supplies but they keep date-raping the results.
May I ask why?
More of these power-line issues I read; more attractive outboard LPSs become.
It looks like it's a half-rack design, why it has ears is beyond me.
Local feedback?

NDRQ

After seen the price and the pic of a boutiqe stuff, i had the hunch that this will be another garbage. :D

I guess expensive boutique stuff only made for making money, so it is natural that it doesnt perfrom well.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't the Burl stuff deliberately designed to not be entirely transparent? I know their A/D is all transformer coupled so you can drive it hard for some character.

It looks like it's a half-rack design, why it has ears is beyond me.
It is having a transformer in the DAC too I believe. Yet, I'd like to see how such a thing measured. And it is highly regarded by many pros precisely for its colorations.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It looks like this was discontinued almost a decade ago and was in production for a few years by then. Saying it "costs" $1999 is misleading
Well, I found it for sale here: https://www.proaudiosolutions.com/Black-Lion-Audio-White-Sparrow-DAC-p/white-sparrow-dac.htm

1652220952667.png

And that is where I got the price as well. It might be wrong but that is where I got my info.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
So-so performance at best (especially for the price point), fugly cosmetics, not even USB input. Not even remotely competitive with my $109 SMSL DAC at amost 5 cents on the dollar.... Next!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm
why do you think its power supply "noise" ? I don't see any fundamental 60hz (or 120,180hz) spikes ?
That looks like jitter.
120 Hz component is there in the FFT:
index.php

As are multiples of it (next one is 240 Hz). Jitter is most commonly internally generated and hence my comment.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Brand and product name clash: well, is it black or white?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I found an internal picture of the unit on the Internet. It doesn't look like DIY to me.
Black-Lion-Audio-Sparrow-DAC-inside-view.jpg

Loathecliff

Cranesong Solaris
I thought the name was a leg pull Blumlein. A search showed my ignorance:-

"The Crane Song emphasizes the individual wires of the upright piano that anchors the song" :rolleyes:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
love the design (minus the big logo)

I still have this, and for me it is the sexiest piece I ever had:
duo-386722cbc28414c239491a8291ef47ab.jpg

still works btw, while the "more professional" TC-Electronics interface I got afterwards has a lot of problems

KSTR

Major Contributor
120 Hz component is there in the FFT:
index.php

As are multiples of it (next one is 240 Hz). Jitter is most commonly internally generated and hence my comment.
Sorry but no, most definitely NOT (mains related) power supply noise, the spikes are not at multiples of 60/120Hz:
1652265328597.png
1652265823371.png

Last edited:
Reactions: P_M

Jim777

Forum Donor
Designs aesthetics-wise, looks like the perfect DAC for guys who wear their broken eyeglasses with white masking tape on the nosebridge holding them together.

And $1999. o_O
That’s all the spectacle they can afford after buying this DAC

P_M

I found an internal picture of the unit on the Internet. It doesn't look like DIY to me.
View attachment 205988
so no shielding or even barrier between the power supply section and rest of the dac.
can't tell where the master clock/crystal is but I sure hope its somewhere further away from the ps area and raised from the chassis using isolators.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While aesthetics generally don't mean much, this unit has little going on in that area. Why would a "pro" use this unit particularly (other than the fixed high voltage output)? Can't see it for the general consumer use.

Ein

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Black Lion Audio White Sparrow DAC. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,999.

2K USD for this? WTF and WGO and WTHIWWY here! No. For that $$$ this DIY package with poor hp amp and only ok DAC is pointless.

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
2K USD for this? WTF and WGO and WTHIWWY here! No. For that $$$ this DIY package with poor hp amp and only ok DAC is pointless.
It was launched in 2012 I believed, so something like 10 years ago, there are a few still being sold, but it has been a discontinued product for a while, there are no DAC on their website

sofrep811

Black Lion is sold through Musician/Studio stores. I had always wondered if they were worth what they charged. The new ones are likely not that great as well.

Top Bottom