• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Black Fri SVS Subwoofer Sale

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, I really did want too. And I have sat on the option for over a month now till they were almost all gone. :(
2020's been a massively horrid year for the whole planet so I thought I'd do my bit to pick up the economy just a tad for everyone to prosper.
It's New Years Eve and I said WTF an just pulled the trigger on 2 new SB-2000's :D
Now the big decision is do I sell my 2 older HSU subs, or keep them and try to dial in all 4. :facepalm:
Life really is grand. LOL

sb-2000-pro-ba_530x.png
Dial in all 4. You'll have the most even bass in your neighborhood.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Who knows, first I'll run some REW measurements and see what comes out of the new 2000s.
Then if I'm really ambitious I may add the HSU's back in to see what I can make them do.
All kidding aside, I'm not really too positive on that outcome. I got the sealed SVS's in hopes of tightening up the deep bass over the ported HSU's, besides getting deeper extension from larger 12" 2000's. Maybe adding the HSU's will just add back in some sloppyness from the ported design?
Maybe sealed vs ported sound is just subwoofer "ole wife's tales" lore?
I use the system for listening to Movies/TV only around 10-20% of the time, the rest is Music and it's sound quality takes the highest priority.
What the hell do I know, I'm just a car/motorcycle mechanic?
I do have old-damaged ears buts that's mostly in the high end, the bottom end still comes thru pretty dang good. ;)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who knows, first I'll run some REW measurements and see what comes out of the new 2000s.
Then if I'm really ambitious I may add the HSU's back in to see what I can make them do.
All kidding aside, I'm not really too positive on that outcome. I got the sealed SVS's in hopes of tightening up the deep bass over the ported HSU's, besides getting deeper extension from larger 12" 2000's. Maybe adding the HSU's will just add back in some sloppyness from the ported design?
I use the system for listening to Movies/TV only around 10-20% of the time, the rest is Music and it's sound quality takes the highest priority.
I do have old-damaged ears buts that's mostly in the high end, the bottom end still comes thru pretty dang good. ;)
Use the HSU's to fill in the nulls in your room. The SB2000s would be your principal subs, and the HSUs would play only loud enough to take care of the null spots. Archimago and Audiophiliacs detail the methodology. Something like a miniDSP 2x4 HD would put you in business.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Use the HSU's to fill in the nulls in your room. The SB2000s would be your principal subs, and the HSUs would play only loud enough to take care of the null spots. Archimago and Audiophiliacs detail the methodology. Something like a miniDSP 2x4 HD would put you in business.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
But just for the record, I would take any info obtained from Steve Guttenberg with a dump-truck full of salt. He's not what I consider the best reference place for material on HiFi. ;)

Reactions: wje

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But just for the record, I would take any info obtained from Steve Guttenberg with a dump-truck full of salt. He's not what I consider the best reference place for material on HiFi. ;)
Sorry, I meant Audioholics! Gene Delasalla. Senior moment.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

hawk01

from my experience using dual svs sealed subs (sb1000 in 1931cuft room) really do a very good job of tightening up the bass and getting that clean, even overall response. its no ole wife’s tale at all... i also have a ported svs pc2000 which at best is limited for movie use especially in the absence of any equalization on my part. incorporating the HSUs may work using dsp but depending on the room volume perhaps the dual sb2000 pros should prove adequate. cheers!

hawk01

BTW your dilemma of diving into the dual svs BF sale is remotely a dilemma at all! it will cost me in excess of US$2000 to afford those same dual sb2000s in my side of the pond!

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
BTW your dilemma of diving into the dual svs BF sale is remotely a dilemma at all!
Thanks for your input, much appreciated!
Can't wait for the dual SB-2000's to get here, promised delivery for Wed 6th, we shall see.
That really sucks you'd have to pay that much for them. Import duties are a real PITA for us all.

Crane

Forum Donor
I'm sad i slept on this deal but yea a minidsp 2x4 HD with the 4 subs would work amazingly. I havent tried it but presets available you can always configure for each scenario you want (2HSU, 2 SVS, All 4).

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

wje

Forum Donor
If anyone is still seeking to buy out one or two of the remaining SB2000 subs, I'd highly recommend the SoundPath isolation feet from SVS. At $49 for 4, they are really the best upgrade you can ever apply to your subwoofer. The "included" rubber cones are kind of a joke as they'll just protect your floors. Plus, the SVS SoundPath feet have separate screws. I've been able to use the SoundPath feet on my other different brands of subwoofers by just switching the screws to the size hold on the bottom of the subwoofer for about $1.00 from the local Home Depot or Lowes.

At the moment, I'm not into home theater and only want subwoofers for music use. I moved onto the Monolith 10" subs after selling my pair of SB2000s. I though the bass was more pronounced with the Monolith, but less musical. I got wrapped up in the pair of Monolith subs for about a year, then sold them off. Now, running the RSL Speedwoofer, REL HT1003 and Rhythmik Audio L12. All do a fairly decent job for music - in fact, much better than the Monolith 10" subs in my scenario. The RSL Speedwoofer is out of stock until next month, but provides some impressive results for a 10" and does pretty well with music. The same for the Rhythmik, too. The REL is still breaking in and going through some more adjustments.

wje

Forum Donor

When I see Steve's reviews come up on You Tube, there are times when I'll watch them - strictly for entertainment value, of course. :facepalm: :D

Crane

Forum Donor
I was considering the SVS for the price so i decided to test some bassy music with my Studio2 and it didnt take long for my downstair neighbor to complain even though i had pads under my carpet and my speaker setup on isolation pads :D

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I was considering the SVS for the price so i decided to test some bassy music with my Studio2 and it didnt take long for my downstair neighbor to complain even though i had pads under my carpet and my speaker setup on isolation pads :D
Downstairs or upstairs neighbors have been the bane of audiophiles since the beginning of time, they have had the cops at my place more times than I care to remember. LOL

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If anyone is still seeking to buy out one or two of the remaining SB2000 subs, I'd highly recommend the SoundPath isolation feet from SVS. At $49 for 4, they are really the best upgrade you can ever apply to your subwoofer. The "included" rubber cones are kind of a joke as they'll just protect your floors. Plus, the SVS SoundPath feet have separate screws. I've been able to use the SoundPath feet on my other different brands of subwoofers by just switching the screws to the size hold on the bottom of the subwoofer for about $1.00 from the local Home Depot or Lowes.

At the moment, I'm not into home theater and only want subwoofers for music use. I moved onto the Monolith 10" subs after selling my pair of SB2000s. I though the bass was more pronounced with the Monolith, but less musical. I got wrapped up in the pair of Monolith subs for about a year, then sold them off. Now, running the RSL Speedwoofer, REL HT1003 and Rhythmik Audio L12. All do a fairly decent job for music - in fact, much better than the Monolith 10" subs in my scenario. The RSL Speedwoofer is out of stock until next month, but provides some impressive results for a 10" and does pretty well with music. The same for the Rhythmik, too. The REL is still breaking in and going through some more adjustments.
So how does the SB2000 compare to L12 from a musicality perspective?

wje

Forum Donor
So how does the SB2000 compare to L12 from a musicality perspective?

It's been a year since I've owned my 2 SVS SB2000 subwoofers. Given the current price of the SB2000, it's quite a great deal. When I bought mine about 4.5 years ago, they were full price. Comparing the Rhythmik L12 to the SB2000, I like the build quality of the L12 a bit better. The Rhythmik driver is a cast driver, not stamped. For too many times, I absorbed myself in the paper specs. But, in reality, it all came down to the performance in my room and my own ears. At the sale price of $399, the SB2000 is a fine subwoofer. Though, I'll give my personal nod to the L12 at this point. Considering it is just $150 more than the sale price of the SB2000, you get a nicely built subwoofer. Granted, it has a smaller amplifier (300 watts RMS), but in my condominium, I can't use all of that power as it is. The L12 allows you to set a 12dB or 24dB crossover slope on the plate amp. However, this wasn't an option I needed, because I can perform that function with my MiniDSP for a more precise crossover setting.

While it wasn't asked, how does the performance of the RSL Speedwoofer compare to the Rhythmik L12? The RSL Speedwoofer is a steal at $399 and the 10" driver does very well with music. I could live with having both the RSL Speedwoofer and the Rhythmik L12 in my system. Both are solid performers for music. Both have 300 watts (RMS) and both have cast drivers. The RSL Speedwoofer, while having a 10" driver, has a cabinet that is just a tad larger than the L12. Granted, I found the Rhythmik L12, locally, used, an in excellent condition for $300, so that buy was a no-brainer for me.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's been a year since I've owned my 2 SVS SB2000 subwoofers. Given the current price of the SB2000, it's quite a great deal. When I bought mine about 4.5 years ago, they were full price. Comparing the Rhythmik L12 to the SB2000, I like the build quality of the L12 a bit better. The Rhythmik driver is a cast driver, not stamped. For too many times, I absorbed myself in the paper specs. But, in reality, it all came down to the performance in my room and my own ears. At the sale price of $399, the SB2000 is a fine subwoofer. Though, I'll give my personal nod to the L12 at this point. Considering it is just $150 more than the sale price of the SB2000, you get a nicely built subwoofer. Granted, it has a smaller amplifier (300 watts RMS), but in my condominium, I can't use all of that power as it is. The L12 allows you to set a 12dB or 24dB crossover slope on the plate amp. However, this wasn't an option I needed, because I can perform that function with my MiniDSP for a more precise crossover setting.

While it wasn't asked, how does the performance of the RSL Speedwoofer compare to the Rhythmik L12? The RSL Speedwoofer is a steal at $399 and the 10" driver does very well with music. I could live with having both the RSL Speedwoofer and the Rhythmik L12 in my system. Both are solid performers for music. Both have 300 watts (RMS) and both have cast drivers. The RSL Speedwoofer, while having a 10" driver, has a cabinet that is just a tad larger than the L12. Granted, I found the Rhythmik L12, locally, used, an in excellent condition for $300, so that buy was a no-brainer for me.
Thanks.

Where can you find SB2000 for $399?

Top Bottom