• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bits are NOT bits ….. or ?

Berkut

Late to the party, just came accross the topic.

For what it's worth, I found another issue with Yamaha products.

I use the very same WXC-50 in either pre-amp or player mode.

My Physical set-up is as follows : WXC-50==ToSLink==> RME ADI-2 DAC Fs ==XLR L/R==> iLoud MTM powered monitors.

1) When I send a 192kHz/24bit file from my Laptop over my network to the WXC-50, the RME DAC acknowledges this is indeed a 192 kHz/24bit signal

2) When I use MC-Link (MusicCast-Link & App), and send the same file from another MusicCast device from Qobuz, it ils downsampled to 48 kHz (24bits are maintained though).

So it appears the "in-streaming" source selection to the WXC-50 also matters.

Hope it is useful to anyone, I don't really bother although I needed to see where the "problem" came from ( Yamaha or RME : definitely Yamy within the MC-Link, not the Musiccast "App" per se).

Berkut

Update : When I input my QOBUZ credentials straight into the WXC-50 using the MusicCast App, I checked I actually DO benefit from hi-res being fed from the Yamaha Device (in "player mode" only) through optical TosLink : the RME ADI-2 DAC fs actually GETS Hi-res input (Checked up to 192 kHz/24 bits - I played "As" fom Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the key of life" for this test).

Did not check the COAX (It's being used to decode my CDs from the CD-S300, which also serves as an digital pass-through for my I-phone).

Bottom Line : You actually get Hi-Res only on the Yamaha machine receiving the internet stream. Any MC-linked MusicCast device gets a dowsampled 48 kHz streaming (24 bit depth is maintained though) : NO HIGH RESOLUTION IN MULTIROOM ON SLAVE MUSICCAST DEVICES.

Side-Note : I Also have a Denon Heos Receiver (3700H thx to Amir's measurements), cascading through pre-amp outputs into a WXA-50 AMP (RCA in) set to -18dB for main Left-Right channels (higher power, less distorsion, thanks again Amir). I just realized there was NO Qobuz App under HEOS. I can stream Hi-Res to the AVR through Audirvana, but need to turn on my Laptop for doing this.

(my personnal french man's) Conclusions :
1) Yamaha and MusicCast while not ideal (like - at all), are a better option than Denon/Marantz and HEOS for music streaming and remote operations.

2) Rather than focusing on HiRes, MQA and s*it, stick to the streaming service you like and possibly offers the broadest support amongst hi-fi manufacturing base (I'm a long Time Deezer user, think I'll cancel my Qobuz subscription soon, wish those 2 french companies merged though). Most now offer redbook CD quality, the high-res content is scarce in proportion (even amongst Qobuz's), and I do not have Time to check if I'm being fed unfiltered ultrasonic noise s*it to fry my Focal Chorus' Tweeters from a catalogue that is largely resampled material from past eons for nostalgic old farts (like me).

3) When are you (Deezer, Qobuz etc...) gonna get your fingers out of your back-end to set up a "connect" function to your front-end and rescue us from the Hi-Fi Manufacturer's Multiverse of Madness ?

Last edited:
OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
Update : When I input my QOBUZ credentials straight into the WXC-50 using the MusicCast App, I checked I actually DO benefit from hi-res being fed from the Yamaha Device (in "player mode" only) through optical TosLink : the RME ADI-2 DAC fs actually GETS Hi-res input (Checked up to 192 kHz/24 bits - I played "As" fom Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the key of life" for this test).

Did not check the COAX (It's being used to decode my CDs from the CD-S300, which also serves )
Yes - the Yamaha can handle high res. material from the digital outputs, but only in ”player” mode.
Its a pity the ”pre amp” mode does sample rate conversion to 48 kHz on every material , that you can hear as a small worsening of the sound - both from the analog output and the digital outputs. In player mode its really good sounding, but not highend quality. A good computer with a good DDC with reclocking sounds a little better, in my opinion.

BitPerfect_

Would you please share with me, the integrated Qobuz app inside WXC-50’s MusicCast app, have any ‘recommendation‘ section providing new content based on your likes?

Or do you have to open the Qobuz app in parallel with MusicCast, save the favs and after that open MusicCast and play the selected content? Thanks!

Top Bottom