• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bit Perfect Streamer

Bama214

At present I'm using a fairly ancient Squeezebox Touch as a streamer, running the latest version of Logitech Media Server. This is attached upstream to an Apple M1 Macbook, and downstream to an RME ADI-2 DAC using the USB connection. RME provides test files that can be downloaded and streamed through the system to assess whether the full streaming chain is "bit perfect". The test says it is.

My question then is whether any meaningful streaming improvements can be made beyond continuing to use the Squeezebox Touch. I should add that I use the asynchronous USB out of the Touch, and let the excellent clock in the RME control the timing.

I understand that Roon could be used with the Touch to perhaps enhance the user experience, but I haven't found the need to explore that as yet.

All in all, i'm pretty satisfied, but, you know, audiophile nervosa...

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m sure you’re looking for an expert answer (rather than mine) but I expect the quick answer is no, hardware improvements are not possible. If you were to replace your current system, you’d be doing well to equal what you have now.
Different software might be a bit easier/smoother to use in some instances. Maybe.

Top Bottom