• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Binaural blind comparison test of 4 loudspeakers

Which loudspeaker sound do you personally prefer?

• Loudspeaker A

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Loudspeaker B

Votes: 42 80.8%
  • Loudspeaker C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Loudspeaker D

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I had access to all of these speakers, I would then pick four songs to go with four speakers. Pick the song that stereotypically is associated with each speaker, blind everyone and then see what the preferences are :)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is interesting to note where the peaks and dips are 1-5 kHz. The Revel has a weak boost around 2 kHz and more svallow dip at 3-4 kHz. Opposite that of the B/W.

Anyway very interesting trial.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting indeed. We should run those types of tests more often. I am toying with the idea of trying with my pairs.
What would be a decent minimal setup to record speakers in stereo? Rode NT4? But I see it is out of stock everywhere right now.
Superlux S502 seems to get good reviews, is in stock and much cheaper but is rated to 40Hz only.
Zoom H series?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if the BE1 dummy head is good enough?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I owned Quad esl 63's for 12 years. They replaced Acoustats and were replaced by Soundlabs. Any others of you who chose D own panels? So maybe even at a Harman test I'd choose panels.

Interesting test for us.
I had panels (MG 1.6) for 13 years before switching to studio monitors, but they sounded (in my vague remembering) more like A than D.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting indeed. We should run those types of tests more often. I am toying with the idea of trying with my pairs.
What would be a decent minimal setup to record speakers in stereo? Rode NT4? But I see it is out of stock everywhere right now.
Superlux S502 seems to get good reviews, is in stock and much cheaper but is rated to 40Hz only.
Zoom H series?
You could buy either of these two and use your own ears or a dummy head for binaural recording.
BTW, @thewas do you know which dummy head was in use?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Zoom H series?
Anyone owns a Jecklin Disc? Orr knows how to build one?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone owns a Jecklin Disc? Orr knows how to build one?
Nothing to a Jecklin Disc. Any disc, an LP for instance isn't a bad size, placed between omni's about 7 inches apart. I've also used rectangular baffles instead of round ones. Despite what you'd think they aren't very similar to binaural however. A nice way to record which I used often when I only had two mics. It can leave a slight hole in the middle effect on imaging. One reason I made a rectangular baffle. One 8 inches tall, and 5 inches front to back worked nicely and it had less hole in the middle effect.

If you really wanted a crazy baffle use one like Ray Kimber's Isomike recordings.

20201006223030_Kimber-P4.jpg

Last edited:

Kain

Are the recordings still available? When I click on the download link in the first post it states "File Not Found".

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently D and A had a sub-bass boost instead of B having a mid-bass hump (my original hypothesis). I should have figured that out to be honest.

But then again i didn't expect all the other 3 speakers to be subpar.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
My thoughts was there was room issues where the bass not as clean for A and D. If room modes issue could be fixed, A or D could be my choice over B, as B is light in certain bass notes.

charleski

Major Contributor
Certainly interesting, and an example of the fact that ‘70% prefer X’ doesn’t mean that you’ll prefer it.

I went back and listened to the tracks again and, even knowing that B was the ‘correct’ choice, still found it clearly inferior to A. As an example, while the opening chords of the 7th were more thrilling from B, the rest of the track sounded harsh and disjointed in comparison to A. A was a little too restrained and could certainly use a little boost to the presence region, but B went too far by quite a margin.

I think the main message here is that all speakers need EQ (which we know) and that you need to tailor the EQ to match your own particular preference rather than sticking blindly to a particular target (which some people still argue about). The real trick is learning what your own preference really is, which can take some time to work out.

There’s clearly a ‘norm’ in the spread of preferences that matches the results from Toole (B won very comfortably), but there’s a significant spread that is much less well understood. Unfortunately there’s no money for hifi research, and it would take a fair amount to characterise the distribution properly and develop tools that could allow people to work out where they sit on the spread.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the main message here is that all speakers need EQ (which we know) and that you need to tailor the EQ to match your own particular preference rather than sticking blindly to a particular target (which some people still argue about). The real trick is learning what your own preference really is, which can take some time to work out.
I'm not so sure about this. IME one just adapts to the sound of speakers one listens to regularly, and this sound signature becomes one's personal reference. Therefore it makes more sense for me to get neutral speakers and adapt to its neutral sound (to overcome one's own circle of confusion).

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could buy either of these two and use your own ears or a dummy head for binaural recording.
BTW, @thewas do you know which dummy head was in use?

Thanks. I've ordered the Roland in-ear microphones. Inexpensive, and quick delivery from my local Amazon. We'll see where that leads me.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I've ordered the Roland in-ear microphones. Inexpensive, and quick delivery from my local Amazon. We'll see where that leads me.

Do you know if these come with a calibration curve?

Top Bottom