• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Binaural blind comparison test of 4 loudspeakers

Which loudspeaker sound do you personally prefer?

• Loudspeaker A

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Loudspeaker B

Votes: 42 80.8%
  • Loudspeaker C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Loudspeaker D

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are all way more expensive that I was thinking. I wonder in what context would speaker C have any chance not to stand out as the worse of them all, in non-vocal jazz maybe? I am puzzled because there is a chance when we learn which speaker that is, that there will be people that love them (maybe not here in ASR), and I can't see how that can happen with their performance in this little experiment.
Good question, it is quite coloured but guess chances would be lower with music with low spectral content which is less revealing, so on the right side of below chart:

Program+Influence+on+Listener+Performance.png

(Source and more: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2010/03/method-for-training-listeners-and.html )

On the other hand tracks like pink noise and "female pop rock" would possibly show its problems even more.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Imagine how cool it would be if Amir would do these "virtual auditions" along with his measurements.

Hmm... since he's listening and testing in mono, I wonder if there is a good way to do this with royalty free music? @amirm, is this worthwhile? Or would room effects ruin the value of the recording?

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
add some fun guessing before the names are revealed?
One can actually only lose with the guessing.
Anyway, my guess would be that speaker C is something "exotic" like omni, open-baffle or dipole.

For speaker D, I would suspect something with unusual dispersion and emphasis of the treble, as would occur with a typical B&W speaker.

Speaker B something neutral like Neumann or Genelec.

Speaker A also neutral, but not as optimized as speaker B, rather something like a Canton or similar.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@thewas You said fun guessing :) . If i knew what Genelec and/or Neumann cost >7000€ i'd choose them. I like to speak dirty about golden calfs :)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that the price range is revealed anyone want to do add some fun guessing before the names are revealed?
C could be a DeVore. Reminds me of my impressions at Munich Highend 2019.

A could be a big BBC style monitor (Harbeth).

D could be a B&W or Focal.

B could be a neutral Revel or Genelec or Neumann.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've no idea really. It's one thing to do a preference test but as to guessing which speaker I'm listening to through binaural recording using an unknown mic setup, of speakers positioned somewhere in an unknown room using recordings, I'm not familiar with.. well let's just say I'd rather look for a needle in a haystack :)

Top Bottom