• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Binaural blind comparison test of 4 loudspeakers

Which loudspeaker sound do you personally prefer?

• Loudspeaker A

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Loudspeaker B

Votes: 42 80.8%
  • Loudspeaker C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Loudspeaker D

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should I assume all speakers are similar in size and freq response range? Or, are there a mix of various size 2 ways bookshelves and 3 ways towers?

Anyway, it looks like so far my preference is similar to majority of voters.....

Monday will be interesting.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Should I assume all speakers are similar in size and freq response range? Or, are there a mix of various size 2 ways bookshelves and 3 ways towers?

Anyway, it looks like so far my preference is similar to majority of voters.....
Similar sized.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Monday will be interesting.
Hope I won't disappoint you, but Monday only the voting results will be published also to the non voters, as I had written in post #1:

After that when the results will be revealed I still won't name the loudspeakers for few days but the discussion of the preference results and perceived sound differences will be welcome so it also won't be biased.

Would be also fun to let people in that short period doing guesses what they think the loudspeakers were. :)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Phones were Sony MDR 7510 and speakers were Revel F12 in my video system. I also would remind everyone I've generally found binaural recordings not to work for me.
No idea why, but when you said "phones", I took that to mean various cell phones :facepalm:

I listened on both speakers(Genelec 8351/212) and headphones(AKG K371 - not EQed). Both led me to the same conclusion, which surprised me a bit.

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hope I won't disappoint you, but Monday only the voting results will be published also to the non voters, as I had written in post #1:

After that when the results will be revealed I still won't name the loudspeakers for few days but the discussion of the preference results and perceived sound differences will be welcome so it also won't be biased.

Would be also fun to let people in that short period doing guesses what they think the loudspeakers were. :)

There are so many factors influencing this so it will not disappoint whatever my vote is. For fun, I taped my OM1 microphones at my ears and made a recording of the Spotify version linked above (no idea if it is the same version, it sounds not!). Very non-ideal, the microphones pointing upwards to the roof. But anyhow:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I've found the correct version. Will do a new recording and upload after monday, just for fun!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are so many factors influencing this so it will not disappoint whatever my vote is. For fun, I taped my OM1 microphones at my ears and made a recording of the Spotify version linked above (no idea if it is the same version, it sounds not!). Very non-ideal, the microphones pointing upwards to the roof. But anyhow:

It sounds better than any of the files offered in the thread so far.

Tks

Major Contributor
Is there any information on what is being evaluated here? Or is it simply, what loudspeaker sounds the best to us from the binaural recording..

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any information on what is being evaluated here? Or is it simply, what loudspeaker sounds the best to us from the binaural recording..

We will know the speakers at some point. I took it simply as a preference test. I picked the one I thought sounded the best as a whole for the 2 tracks.

Reactions: Tks

RHO

Major Contributor
Is it 4x the same speaker with different EQ applied or distortion added?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey it is already Monday where I am, but we have to wait almost 5 more hours before the poll is visible. Or vote and you can see it. You have less than 5 hours. Hurry!

45 people chose the wrong speaker as of the time of my post.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It sounds better than any of the files offered in the thread so far.

Well I would not say so. I would say ”it depends”. :) I will however make a post later tonight having the same music version as the four initial ones with an additional experiment that I hope will be interesting for the discussiion.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess it could be :D, but I think it's different speakers. Would be funny if that's what it was, though.
Don't worry, I am not that mean, at least not this time :p:D

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't worry, I am not that mean, at least not this time :p:D

As you mentioned perhaps you can wait a little before disclosing the speakers. I think the discussion of the results will be interesting.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As you mentioned perhaps you can wait a little before disclosing the speakers. I think the discussion of the results will be interesting.
That is the plan, will be interesting to discuss first the perceived findings and guesses for a couple of days before disclosing them, as I had announced in the initial post.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that the voting is closed, first of all thank you for the high participation and lets have a look at the results, which seem to show a quite unequivocal preference:

Loudspeaker A Votes: 7 13.5%
Loudspeaker B Votes: 42 80.8%
Loudspeaker C Votes: 0 0.0%
Loudspeaker D Votes: 7 13.5%

So, as promised, lets get to the next phase, where you can write about what you heard (it would be great if you would incluse with which transducer you heard the samples), the differences, your preference and your guesses which loudspeaker brands, models or types these could be.

Top Bottom