• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bimodal treatment for tinnitus

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The visual so far is reminding me of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest :)

ps but if it works, no problem :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The treatment involves stimulating the ears with tones while stimulating the tongue.

The tongue...

Damn. That could have been much more fun. Maybe offer a tip, see what you can negotiate.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
eyelids.jpg

Tom C

Major Contributor
I wonder if different "modalities" were included in the study, and if not, why not, and how do we know that tongue is the most effective?
The sound provides targeted stimulation to the nerves with the abnormal, problem activity. The action of the targeted stimulation is intensified by adding stimulation of a broader portion of the brain. In order to be effective, there has to be overlap between the broader area of stimulation and the targeted stimulation (they have to stimulate the same areas). Because the hearing nerves and the tongue nerves come off the brain near each other, the prescription works. Other cranial nerves that are farther away would be less effective or ineffective. And some cranial are not as accessible as the tongue (eg hypoglossal, vagus, spinal accesssory, and others). So this combination works.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound provides targeted stimulation to the nerves with the abnormal, problem activity. The action of the targeted stimulation is intensified by adding stimulation of a broader portion of the brain. In order to be effective, there has to be overlap between the broader area of stimulation and the targeted stimulation (they have to stimulate the same areas). Because the hearing nerves and the tongue nerves come off the brain near each other, the prescription works. Other cranial nerves that are farther away would be less effective or ineffective. And some cranial are not as accessible as the tongue (eg hypoglossal, vagus, spinal accesssory, and others). So this combination works.

I believe you, but this answer is not nearly as much fun as the one by @BDWoody

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I wonder why they excluded from the study people who have had tinnitus for more than 5 years. Maybe because this method is unlikely to work in those cases? Many tinnitus sufferers have the condition from birth so it seems odd to exclude them.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I wonder why they excluded from the study people who have had tinnitus for more than 5 years. Maybe because this method is unlikely to work in those cases? Many tinnitus sufferers have the condition from birth so it seems odd to exclude them.
The treatment is based on neuroplasticity. So acquired tinnitus would be easier to treat than a hereditary kind. Hard to rewire the brain if it's been in a specific pattern for a long time.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
The treatment is based on neuroplasticity. So acquired tinnitus would be easier to treat than a hereditary kind. Hard to rewire the brain if it's been in a specific pattern for a long time.

Yeah I had the same thought when I read the study. Looks like there's no hope for lifelong sufferers.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Yeah I had the same thought when I read the study. Looks like there's no hope for lifelong sufferers.
There might be something in it eventually once the mechanism is better understood.

Reminds me of Ramachandran's treatment for phantom limb (I wonder how much you can equate the two, or consider tinnitus a kind of phantom sound).

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fascinating.

I have strong tinnitus but it doesn't bother me too much at this point.

I have a much harder time with hyperacusis (and I'm wearing noise stimulators in my ears as I type this as part of a therapy).

bobbooo

Major Contributor
There might be something in it eventually once the mechanism is better understood.

Reminds me of Ramachandran's treatment for phantom limb (I wonder how much you can equate the two, or consider tinnitus a kind of phantom sound).

I hope it does lead to treatments for lifelong sufferers at some point, but I have my doubts. The vast majority of phantom limb sufferers are due to amputations, not congenital defects, so that analogy only really applies to developed rather than lifelong tinnitus.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Fascinating.

I have strong tinnitus but it doesn't bother me too much at this point.
Same. Just dealing with it for 5 years now. Sometimes it's so loud that I know some people would be driven insane but joke's on tinnitus, I was already insane! *laughs uncontrollably*

On-topic, the treatment seems pretty dubious to me. What was it, fourteen points of improvement score out of hundred?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if it also alters how you taste things.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have anyone of you try to make some exercise on your Masseter muscle ?
Put your thumbs firmly against the the centre of your ears and move your Mandible from left to right severable times a day.
It cracks and hurts at the beginning. It will be smoother with some training.
Not sure if it helps a lot, but may reduce the Tinnitus effect.
Surely can't hurt and be helpful in a holistic aspect.

Ouupss, I forgot we are on ASR and we cannot measure it :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masseter_muscle

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My MD said to try a Kan herbal "Quiet Contemplative" - it seems to work

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have anyone of you try to make some exercise on your Masseter muscle ?
Put your thumbs firmly against the the centre of your ears and move your Mandible from left to right severable times a day.
It cracks and hurts at the beginning. It will be smoother with some training.
Not sure if it helps a lot, but may reduce the Tinnitus effect.
Surely can't hurt and be helpful in a holistic aspect.

Ouupss, I forgot we are on ASR and we cannot measure it :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masseter_muscle
I don't find it to help with ringing, but it can "pop" your ears when they get stuffed up. You can hear wiggling your jaw and using this muscle sounds in your ears. I've noticed professional boxers often while entering the ring and waiting on the announcer are constantly doing this. Don't know why.

Top Bottom