• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Billie Eilish

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
This is one of those albums that sound really bad on a great system. The antithesis to audiophile bliss. I really do not care for the badly distorted bass on most tracks. Just listen in on nda around 2.40 and happier at about 3.40. Maybe this is intended because it is really hostile distortion. Sound bad on my desktop (ADI-2 dac, Neumann KH750/KH120) and in the living room (Adam 3SV, digital input from Allo DigiOne). Source is Roon/Tidal. First thought playback chain is broken.

dfuller

Major Contributor
This is one of those albums that sound really bad on a great system. The antithesis to audiophile bliss. I really do not care for the badly distorted bass on most tracks. Just listen in on nda around 2.40 and happier at about 3.40. Maybe this is intended because it is really hostile distortion. Sound bad on my desktop (ADI-2 dac, Neumann KH750/KH120) and in the living room (Adam 3SV, digital input from Allo DigiOne). Source is Roon/Tidal. First thought playback chain is broken.
That is 100% intentional. Part of why I don't consider "audiophile music" to be the sole test of a good test of a system is because it's relatively easy to get clean sounding stuff to sound good, but stuff that's intentionally distorted and crunchy like that will quickly become unintelligible noise.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can’t really describe Billie like that, she has the authenticity of country music, with the melancholy of alternative with the freshness of mainstream pop.

Thanks for that explanation. I did feel a bit offensive when typing that comment as it sounded like I was trying to obscure her appeal.

I think I understand her appeal more now, almost genre-less and appealing to a large demographic while still sounding “modern”.

mononoaware

I feel sad for those that cannot find enjoyment except in material aimed at fuddy-duddies and old farts.

This is the second comment regarding “old men” in this thread.
Is this a well known fact of ASR?
Are most ASR members old men? (Over 50-60?)

I turned 30 not long ago. . . and I thought most ASR members were similar age to myself. . .

By the way regarding your comment, I believe in 2021 audiophiles are listening to a lot of modern artists.
It is no longer “Take Five by Dave Brubeck” being played, but rather it is artists such as Billie Eilish that are gaining popularity and analysis.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor

I turned 30 not long ago. . . and I thought most ASR members were similar age to myself. . .

By the way regarding your comment, I believe in 2021 audiophiles are listening to a lot of modern artists.
It is no longer “Take Five by Dave Brubeck” being played, but rather it is artists such as Billie Eilish that are gaining popularity and analysis.
im 25 !! XDD

mononoaware

im 25 !! XDD

I have only been here for a short time. . . and it seems a lot of users are referencing being “old” or implying being gross and old I don’t understand. . .
Is it some kind of inside joke?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/age-distribution-of-asr.11083/

mononoaware

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I like her for a few reasons. Here are two:

*Her vocals in her recordings are not too bright/harsh like many new pop songs available in Tidal.

*Many of her songs have low bass. I like low bass. My systems have nice subwoofer and I like to exercise my subs.

Pennyless Audiophile

I can understand audiophiles liking its ultra close-miced sound and pulsating electronic bass, but the content? Heh. That's for the kind of "audiophile" that "listen to everything" which is always a codeword for "I only listen to approachable stuff and I don't have an independently developed aesthetic sense".

Actually when you have a "developed aesthetic sense" you can understand the beauty in what doesn't seem to have any.
Someone with a "developed aesthetic sense" listens to a larger, rather than narrower variety of music.

deprogrammed

Adult male audiophiles listening to Billie Eilish seems creepy to me. It's pre/teenager's music, made by a teenager.
That is a pretty narrow view. Good music is good music.
Are there other "rules"? What about people that are dead? Is that morbid?
Does it work the other way? If you are 15 can you listen to music made by folks over 40?
Is this just for music. Can I appreciate other forms of art if they are young? I guess I can't enjoy Harry Potter. Or is something written by adults for kids OK?

I appreciate her music. Nothing more. Nothing weird.
I was a teenager a long time ago. I still remember some of the crap I went through. Some things are universal. It is good to not forget.

You are missing out on some good stuff.
Rules to enjoy Art...That is weird.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But how on earth are struggling corporations like Apple going to make a profit ...

Airpods and Double Irish and Double Dutch sandwiches come to mind.

That, another copy of The White album.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Actually when you have a "developed aesthetic sense" you can understand the beauty in what doesn't seem to have any.
Someone with a "developed aesthetic sense" listens to a larger, rather than narrower variety of music.
Indeed, I made a thread about this, after all. But I'm sure you know that when you're deep into something of aesthetic nature, you become somewhat "picky"; can't eat shit all day long, after all. What I meant is that I've never seen someone who says he listen to everything that actually does AND has this "developed aesthetic sense".

Last edited:
OP
T

TankTop

I think there is some intentional distortion in many albums but lots of the bass has great texture that is difficult to resolve with many systems. Yesterday I was listening with some Rockport speakers and two stereo stacks of REL subs, unfortunately they had the gain WAY down on the subs but there is some amazing detail hiding in there if your system can resolve it.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm over 60 and a long way from being an old man. It's all a matter of perspective. Old is 80+.

Martin

Top Bottom