• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Billie Eilish

g-force

Once upon a time I did some acid and tried to read 'The Hunting of the Snark'. This was exceedingly difficult because I could only remember six words in a row; so as I got to the end of a line; the beginning of had already evapourated.
I had to start over. Until I realised it was the trick 'note' which has 'turn over' inscribed on Both sides.
This also best describes Billy Eilish songs.
When I first Tidaled 'Therefore I Am' a few minutes ago; I had a flash-back and when I clicked the advance-bar adding on 1:20 every click... You'd think your CD had the stutters. And the musical progression and development...

Last edited:
OP
T

TankTop

Bad Guy has some some delicate nuances to the bass near the end, my SVS PB1000 can resolve some of it but I think there’s more there.

Anyway she is a true natural talent and I’m excited to see how her voice develops over the years with some practice and coaching not to mention a little edge with age.

The mono balanced 50/50 is definitely what I was hearing with her voice equal out of both speakers and no imaging or phantom center. The soundtrack is excellent and unique.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As a few people have already mentioned, almost everything starts as mono, and the it's up to a creative producer to apply effects to sweeten the vocal. There are basically no rules, and every producer has their tricks. In the song "happier than ever", the main vocal seems to be centered in mono, but there are layered backup vocals with many effects that are panned full left and right. Some of her more upbeat songs use time delay effects between the left and right channels, with the pretty typical reverb, echo, and other vocal effects to embellish the track. The following video illustrates how this is accomplished.

Found a good example of one of her songs:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the music as it is maturing toward a more jazzy sound. However, I still like her EP and first album better, but, have listened to 'Happier then Ever' only a few times - still very good. What she and her brother are doing with the close mike is very good. However, what bothers me about this album is that when the music picks up there is compression with very audible clipping, especially in the bass. This is very visible in a waveform plot. The average DR value is 5. Very disappointing. Is it too much to wish that they would release a compressed version for portables and an unmastered version for home listening? Yes, guess it is or they and others would do it. Maybe the vinyl is better mastered, usually it is.

Zero clipping whatsoever on my end. Also, are you listening to streaming services? I notice that the physical CD album actually has lower peaks overall than the streamed files though the overall DR is the same, just lower TPL and LUFSi across the board. Could be that the Vinyl and CD are from same master while streaming is different/inferior master?

Capture.PNG

tonyo123

I hear it on home system and see the waveforms in real time (foobar2000 waveform seek). I use DR Meter. Not streaming. At a later time I will post the jpgs from some of the songs which clip and also the title track which you reference.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I really like No time to die but that's it - maybe because I like James Bond title songs...

So do I. :)

I think the Eilish "No Time to Die" may perhaps grow on me, but as of now, I just cannot take her simpering, whimpering* child-like voice and angst-ridden teen songwriting (if you call it that) remotely seriously. As I said, it's music for teens. Great for them. If you're a pre/teenager or a 20 something- whatever, knock yourself out.

*Apologies to Carly Simon

TimF

Forum Donor
The music videos aren't haphazardly done on home video gear. The music videos are costly productions. This isn't a bother sister duo making music in a bedroom. And the videos aren't getting distributed and played all over the developed world by the two of them handing out dvd's at TV and radio conventions. This is a major corporate effort.

MCH

Major Contributor
I am impressed with the bass on the vinyl mastering. It is louder than any other record that doesn't track badly that I can think of. Also better than the other two records of her music I have.
The bass in bad guy brings my cartridge (or phono stage, i don't know) so much to the limit that from time to time it makes a "click". Has anyone had this? The streaming version (spotify) sounds like any other song in the same system, while the vinyl gives the impression that the walls are about to collapse, dont know if technically good or bad, but quite impressive. I have a couple of thousands of vinyls more and never heard such a thing.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
What is wrong with people making music in their bedroom?

MCH

Major Contributor
Adult male audiophiles listening to Billie Eilish seems creepy to me. It's pre/teenager's music, made by a teenager.
Hmmmm sorry but i have the strange feeling that if she was a he, this comment would not be there

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Adult male audiophiles listening to Billie Eilish seems creepy to me. It's pre/teenager's music, made by a teenager.
Not to worry.

The reunion tour of 2050 should look like a Mardis Gras parade in the audience. Personally, I'm hip. Nothing like a teenager, thinking only they ever had a bad day.

It's like breath of fresh air, next to a dumpster.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So do I. :)

I think the Eilish "No Time to Die" may perhaps grow on me, but as of now, I just cannot take her simpering, whimpering* child-like voice and angst-ridden teen songwriting (if you call it that) remotely seriously. As I said, it's music for teens. Great for them. If you're a pre/teenager or a 20 something- whatever, knock yourself out.

*Apologies to Carly Simon

I am surprised you even gave it a serious listen.
Does she have some kind of “greatest songwriter of 2020” hype title attached to her?

I occasionally jokingly reference her or provide a link, but she never was really on my radar until I repeatedly started reading some posts about “on my LCD-2 if you listen closely at 0:32 when she starts whispering” etc.

Definitely doesn’t sound like mono to me. . . definitely sounds like 8D Life virtual multi-channel surround.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hmmmm sorry but i have the strange feeling that if she was a he, this comment would not be there

Nope. Exactly the same deal. So don't try to play some woke gender card- it just doesn't work with people who have independent and critical thinking skills.

I loved teenage boy music, when I was a teenager. Think Wham!, Culture Club, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Nik Kershaw, Howard Jones and for the girls; Irene Cara, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper etc. It was fabulous. It still is when I want a retrospective jaunt into my adolescence. Throw in a bit of Quiet Riot, Midnight Oil and you have an 80s party. Yay.

But listening to current tweenager pop now in my fifties would be just, plain, weird. Creepy in fact. I grew up. Have you?

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am surprised you even gave it a serious listen.

I've listened to plenty of her output. Just as back in the day, I'd buy an album I didn't even like, because I felt "it was important". I love music and always have.

Some music just grows on you, other music just festers like a sore. Eilish is in the latter category- for me.

Top Bottom