• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bigger Impact For Upgrading PC Audio DAC or Amp or DAC/Amp?

B00tySalads

If one were to get a single product to improve the sound from a PC for listening on mid-range (B&O Portal/Audeze Penrose) headphones (mostly listening to Tidal, Youtube, gaming), what would provide the most noticeable improvement assuming you spent the same $?

For example: Dongle DAC/Amp (E1DA, Earmen Eagle etc) vs a standalone desktop headphone amp while using the onboard DAC (Schiit Heretic etc) vs a desktop DAC (ZEN Air DAC, SMSL Sanskrit) vs combo (FIIO K3, iFi GO BAR etc)

I know price points will vary but just wanting a general idea overall what should have a larger impact for the same total dollars spent.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the Penrose are you using them in Bluetooth mode? I'd always upgrade headphones first, it'll be the most dramatic difference. A used Hifiman Ananda would be my first stop. They're easy to drive too.

OP
B00tySalads

B00tySalads

For the Penrose are you using them in Bluetooth mode? I'd always upgrade headphones first, it'll be the most dramatic difference. A used Hifiman Ananda would be my first stop. They're easy to drive too.
Not using the Bluetooth.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd try using it in bluetooth mode and use the onboard amp/DAC it has to dial in the sound. It was designed to do that, so you might get the results you want without spending anything. I've had a few of the Cloud Orbits which uses Audeze drivers (and uses USB, those aren't wireless) and in stereo mode and flat EQ profile they sounded pretty good.

OP
B00tySalads

B00tySalads

I don't really dislike anything about the sound, but I know PM tend to like a little power but I don't want to get just an amp if using my on board DAC with an external amp would not be a better/more noticeable upgrade vs a standalone DAC or an amp/DAC (assuming pricing is all about the same). Just considering options as I can't get the $800 Audeze gaming headset right now haha

Top Bottom