• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big day out! Genelec fans!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just returned from a really interesting few hours spent with Jj and Olly At HHB/Source/Genelec‘s centre in Wells Street, London ( Tottenham Court Rd end of Oxford Street.

1621431099239.png

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The main room has been created from a large open plan space, there was room treatment’ but not of the 3 metre rock wall in every direction kind.
They have a full 7.4.1 Atmos system, which was cool!
Every Genelec speaker from the teeny tiniest to the 8361Bs on a modern comparator so you could switch from each instantly, you will not be. surprised that tonality between the range is to all intents identical, but you get louder more bass as you progress up the range.
Anyone can visit the centre and I would strongly recommend that you do, JJ Deals with the W371a installs ( six weeks wait made to order ) and he was really knowledgeable.
Questions I thought pertinent to domestic rooms,
GLM measurement /calibration couldn’t be simpler, select ‘group’ every speaker is measured, then select the various W371A options measure again
name the presets and you can switch between them, ( I know all of this is in the video) convulsion can be done in the cloud.
Once optimised you can ‘store in speaker ‘ and remove the cat 5 speakers.
JU recommended the RMe ADI to send a digital signal to the Gens, which Is my choice fo the 8Cs.
I asked about the various configurations, was there an overall favourite, Jj said just look at the measurements for every individual room , listen ,compare decode.
He did say that the cardioid ( constant directivity) works really well if the room doesn’t hold too many terrors, there own measurements ( cardioid) showed quite a deep cancellation at around 60Hz If I remember from the desk perhaps, they could have chosen the floor cancellation mode to ameliorate that but the rest of the response wasn’t as tidy.
For fixed domestic use, you could save your critical listening/ casual doing the ironing modes as presets and flick between them, they did sound mighty impressive, very low bass yet perfectly controlled as you would expect.
Six year warranty, I believe they are the most complete in terms of versatility/ adjustability full range monitor available unless you go soffit mounted in a completely treated room.
I asked about the 8361a versus 8351B JJ thought for a larger room more spl, then the larger, he found aesthetically the smaller might be more pleasing.
Please ask anything, and if you get the chance book a visit, every speaker manufacturer should have that kind of facility.
Keith

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looking at them side by side, those 8351's are quite large!

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes front left and centre, even more have been added since that photograph, they have 7 8351’s in the atmos set-up that three in a line sub, at least four satellites on the ceiling , it is what anyone would have if you have the cash and the space and no wife.
Keith

alont

Forum Donor
Very, very cool. I'd love to hear their thoughts about the viability of using an 8341 integrated with multiple subs using a 4th order 100hz high shelf XO + multiple subs for mid-field in a large listening room. I know it probably won't get to ear-bleeding SPLs but I wonder how it would compare to a pair of 8361 without subs.

alont

Forum Donor
Also I'd love to hear their opinion on genelec's pretty constant directivity, vs. the other well-established approach of wider directivity that smoothly gets narrower as the frequency increases.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would telephone and ask, I can’t think of anyone in the U.K at least who would be better placed to advise.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Nearly forgot each W371a is 60kg, and they are big, W371 and 8361 came up to my shoulder height, I am around 6 feet tall, they have excellent dispersion of course both horizontally and vertically.
I also asked about listening distances , the co-axial cab be listened to really close 40cm , The really large 2236? models appear to be predominately about continuous SPLs , the separation of drivers means you have to sit further away for integration.
I do not believe there would be any issue sitting four or five metres away from the 371’s , I sat at the rear of the room, huge yet focused soundstage.
Keith

TimH

It sounds like an amazing trip! thanks for the write up - which RMe ADI do you recommend please Keith? From what I can see the pro one has a digital out that could feed AES? or is the recommendation to use a coax to AES cable? Do you then need the Genelec remote to control volume?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The ASI ‘pro’ can send and attenuate a digital AES signal and it allows you to connect analogue sources, and it has a neat remote!
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There are not too many devices that can send an attenuate a digital signal, some streamers can of course attenuation through software.
RME equipment is first rate.
Keith

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ADI RME Pro uses a breakout cable for AES3. The Genelec remote isn't very responsive, it works but it's one thing they could improve. I use a Lumin U1 mini and their software does a good job on volume.

1621441027340.png

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just returned from a really interesting few hours spent with Jj and Olly At HHB/Source/Genelec‘s centre in Wells Street, London ( Tottenham Court Rd end of Oxford Street.

View attachment 130672
I'm not crazy about their look (prefer KEF's look) but in this professional setting, they look right at home. Thank you for the post and pictures. I wish I was there :)

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ADI RME Pro uses a breakout cable for AES3. The Genelec remote isn't very responsive, it works but it's one thing they could improve. I use a Lumin U1 mini and their software does a good job on volume.

View attachment 130684
Also using this for my 8351B pair. The AES dongle via DB-9 is a little flimsy but oh well

Top Bottom