• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

big DACs vs dedicated desktop dacs - when does it matter?

guyinoz

Forum Donor
Hi, I noticed that the "big DAC" and "dedicated desktop DAC" are two separate categories. Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the difference? I want to input my bluesound node 2i using its coax digital output into a better DAC and output to a NAD 375 BEE amp. Does it make a difference if i use a"big DAC" compared to a "dedicated desktop dac" if both of them have a coax in and a RCA out ? (I have read the 2V vs 4V output thread which was illuminating but seems like a different consideration). Thanks in advance.

Nationalizer

It's what's inside that matters (and if you can stick it where you need it). What DAC models are you comparing?

OP
G

guyinoz

Forum Donor
Ok great thanks. so i understand thats what inside that matters, so there are quality differences irrespective of their categorisation. but in terms of being able to plug them in there is no difference? thats good to know

Nationalizer

How they are built is what matters, the quality inside. Make sure you get the features and inputs / outputs you need. Other than that, size doesn't matter.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Eirikur

How they are built is what matters, the quality inside. Make sure you get the features and inputs / outputs you need. Other than that, size doesn't matter.
As you implicitly say: size can matter. Physically separating digital from analog sections and both of them from the power supply in a sensible way will help to keep noise away. Metal barriers lined with mu-metal can shield both internal and external interference - it all takes space!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't matter at all. Perhaps shops make two categories according to the price.

The DAC in a high-end CD player is smaller than any desktop DAC you'll meet.

OP
G

guyinoz

Forum Donor
As you implicitly say: size can matter. Physically separating digital from analog sections and both of them from the power supply in a sensible way will help to keep noise away. Metal barriers lined with mu-metal can shield both internal and external interference - it all takes space!
So does keeping the noise away translate into additional benefits beyond what’s been measured? Or the measurements capture effect of everything including power supply?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The biggest by size was probably Audio-gd NFB-27.38. Showed terrible performance.

It really depends how they're put together.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
So does keeping the noise away translate into additional benefits beyond what’s been measured? Or the measurements capture effect of everything including power supply?
The measurements will show the effects. Look at the FFT plot around 60Hz and its harmonics, although it's also possible that there might be a lot of high frequency junk if the DAC relies on a switch-mode power supply.

Top Bottom