• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big amp small speakers- too risky?

JeffGB

Unless you are a real head banger, there will be no problem. I have been using amplifiers rated at 500w per channel with little bookshelf speakers for decades and have never damaged one with excess power. If you have anyone around that is illogical or a child, you would need to be careful but that pretty much applies to ANY amplifier. Even a relatively low power amplifier can damage a speaker in the right circumstances. You will be fine.

D

Deleted member 51677

All the stories I've heard involving powerful amps frying defenseless speakers involved unsupervised kids, or alcohol.
Can be exactly the same with low powered amps as well

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can be exactly the same with low powered amps as well
Sure, but if it goes reeeeeealy loud, it's just too tempting for a kid or a drunk

nsfgp

No worry it will be fine. I did similar things a couple of times earlier (spec'd 330W mono output into 4-8ohm) blasted max volume into my Micca MB42-X for a split second. No damage at all. Your RSL are no doubt higher quality/more robust in a speaker.
You using a pair of CG25 sitting upright as mains?? Great looking speaker the CG5 really interesting with treble adjustment.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some gear has a master volume limit that can be set, and that can be a good thing.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I used a Parasound amp on a variety of speakers from literally $100 amazon type cheapies to $5k+ units... never had a problem at anything... Parasound make a decent amp and that 2250 does plenty of reasonable clean distortion free power and it'll do anything justice outside of something like a $50k set.

I'd trust a Parasound over a no name $250 unit or even a crappy Pioneer Yamaha whatever dog box surround receiver.

A yeah one of my cheapest set of a speakers has a 4" woofer and it has an amazing 82dB efficiency... I have other sets to floorstanders that do 88-89 so which is easier to drive...

djtetei

magic smoke escaping from the speakers
Come on man, smoke is forbidden!
If you see smoke, it is already too late!
Do we love our equipment while listening to music or we are actings like damn fools?

OP
E

ELberto

Forum Donor
No worry it will be fine. I did similar things a couple of times earlier (spec'd 330W mono output into 4-8ohm) blasted max volume into my Micca MB42-X for a split second. No damage at all. Your RSL are no doubt higher quality/more robust in a speaker.
You using a pair of CG25 sitting upright as mains?? Great looking speaker the CG5 really interesting with treble adjustment.
In my room now, and for the next year or so, the CG25s are up and keeping me happy. In the next place they'll most likely be part of the HT setup.
Thanks for all the laughs gents- I get the picture now :D

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are two ways to overpower speakers to damage:
- Run them at sustained high power long enough that the voice coils cook. This is usually well beyond 'painful' volume levels.
- Overexert the woofer on low bass. This can be a 'one thump and you're done' thing if you really overdo it, but generally the bass tends to sound obviously bad before you get this far.

So you can see how both of these tend to happen at drunken parties. In normal listening if you're paying minimum attention for the sound of struggling drivers, and not cranking the volume knob all at once you are usually fine.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom