• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big amp small speakers- too risky?

ELberto

Forum Donor
I'm fairly well decided on getting a Parasound 2250v2 to use in my future (1 year off hopefully) listening haven where it'll drive proper floorstanders. I haven't bought the floorstanders yet. In the mean time I listen to bookshelf speakers (see specs below). Were I to set the new amp up with the bookshelf speakers would it damage them at moderate volumes? Along these lines- were I to accidentally turn it up so loud I got distortion would that do any damage if it was only for a second or two? The Parasound is a relative beast with these numbers:
All Channels Driven
275 watts x 2, 8Ω
400 watts x 2, 4Ω

Bookself speaker specs:
  • Recommended Impedance setting for amplifiers: 6 or 8 ohms (whichever is higher)
  • Sensitivity: 88 dB SPL @ 2.83 V, 1 meter distance
  • Recommended Power: 25-150 watts

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just turn down the level knobs on the back of the unit to a point where even 100% volume out of your DAC won't distort the bookshelves.
Once set, there's no way you can fat finger the knobs, right?
2250v2_back_black.jpg

OP
E

ELberto

Forum Donor
Haha- driving fast has always been a passion too. But to answer the question- when I turn the volume up it's with care. But with an amp that's got more power than the speakers are rated for... I worry. More of a concern is moving in and out of wasapi exclusive mode- sometimes there's a jump there.

OP
E

ELberto

Forum Donor
@amirm uses his 1000 watt mono blocks when he does listening tests on bookshelf speakers. As long as you back off if the speakers start sounding stressed you will probably be fine.
Ok good- and thanks for this.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I wouldn't worry about it unless you ask too much of the loudspeaker and the space they're, umm, speaking to. ;)
A little common sense goes a long way.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Speakers are sluggish, not easy to kill.

As long you use your ears and brain.

levimax

Major Contributor
This is great- hadn't thought of using those as a limiter, so to speak. Thanks!
If you listen to streaming where the services level everything out it will work for the most part but if have multiple sources or play CD or digital files it will be a problem as if you are "safe" on the loud files you will want more (sometimes a lot more) on quiet dynamic files.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
You know when you hear that “crackling, screeching, distorted” sound? That generally means turn it Down not Up! ;)

D

Deleted member 51677

I'm fairly well decided on getting a Parasound 2250v2 to use in my future (1 year off hopefully) listening haven where it'll drive proper floorstanders. I haven't bought the floorstanders yet. In the mean time I listen to bookshelf speakers (see specs below). Were I to set the new amp up with the bookshelf speakers would it damage them at moderate volumes? Along these lines- were I to accidentally turn it up so loud I got distortion would that do any damage if it was only for a second or two? The Parasound is a relative beast with these numbers:
All Channels Driven
275 watts x 2, 8Ω
400 watts x 2, 4Ω

Bookself speaker specs:
  • Recommended Impedance setting for amplifiers: 6 or 8 ohms (whichever is higher)
  • Sensitivity: 88 dB SPL @ 2.83 V, 1 meter distance
  • Recommended Power: 25-150 watts
No distortion no damage. You could put a thousand watt amp on them, just don’t overdrive the speakers. I had Classe omega stereo driving my original Sonus Faber Concertinos not a problem. More of a problem with an under powered amp imho

djtetei

There no such thing as too powerful amplifier as long as your gain stage is set up correctly, you know the capabilities of your speakers and amplifier and use your brain when driving the "level" knobs.
If you know you are in the habit of forgetting that "red lights are for prostitutes", use an amplifier with power ratings of no more than your speakers can handle safely.
The non negotiable rule is: no one touches your equipment, except you!

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All the stories I've heard involving powerful amps frying defenseless speakers involved unsupervised kids, or alcohol.

steve59

Major Contributor
The only time I've damaged speakers it was a tweeter and I was swapping interconnects with power and source on, duh. I had an anthem 225i with pretty close numbers to yours and sometimes the volume control would just keep turning all the way to the stop! I have read larger driver voice coils can get damaged if pushed to the limits causing distortion while still working, Like others have suggested, treat the volume control like it's the throttle on your sportbike and keep the remote out of reach of children.

Top Bottom