• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Biamping while mixing different amps and speakers

ashwin

So I blew my money on sources and was not satisfied by the sound coming out of my speakers. With no budget left to buy a good set of speakers I had to experiment with what I had. I tried two speaker sets, a Scansonic MB 2.5 and a Linn Majik 109. I know they are two completely different type of speakers and sound completely different too. You might ask why I have these two? The scansonics were my music speakers and the M109 were being used for VCs but with meetings running in to almost 8 hours on some days (thank you pandemic) I used to end up with an ear ache and I reverted back to laptop speakers. Also, with the M109s the VCs were very immersive and felt like the other person was sitting right in front of me and that is not a good thing when you are meeting with a person you dont like :) .
These were tried with a Line magnetic 216 and a Linn LK85 again two very different amps. With both amps the Scansonics provide a lot of detail and warm sound but midranges were low enough to be missed. While the Linn sounds balanced across all frequencies but feels lifeless. I experimented with different positions as well with not much deviation from the previous statement. I tried biamping the Scansonic with both the amps and the sound did improve after I reduced the gain on the treble section. However, it was never where I wanted it to be. I think you can guess where this is going.
So, I finally decided to mix up everything. After trying various combinations I ended up with the LK85 feeding only the bass section of the M109s and the LM216 feeding both the sections of the Scansonics. The sound is much better now and feels balanced while still sounding lively. But a nagging doubt remains in my mind that this is not the right way to do it. e.g. Since these are different speakers on different amps how much would they be out of phase with each other? Are there any other problems which are there but I simply cant hear?
What do you all think? Is this a good idea? Am I completely off my rocker for doing this?

Top Bottom