• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bi-wiring a headphone

DSJR

Major Contributor
I bet they'll sell a few as well :facepalm:

charleski

Major Contributor
It's about time!
... That they came up with another useless gimmick to justify wildly over-priced gear.

Only six drivers though? Couldn't they cram some more in? More = better, after all. :p

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
An audiophile and his money are soon parted. I speak as someone who has had occasional bouts of Audiophilia.

Edit.

Last edited:

julian_hughes

I thought this was a photoshop joke. Then I found it on aliexpress: Tralucent Audio Ref GEN 3 It's also entertaining to look at the Porta-Fi Tralucent Review and enjoy seeing the amount of totally pointless difficulties you'd have to suffer just to connect this IEM to a playback device. I didn't read as far as the opinion on audio quality. Maybe it's all worth it. The price is £3,199.20 (about $4400 US) and then they add a £14 shipping fee. If it had been free shipping I would have bought it.

3125b

Major Contributor
At this rate somebody will come up with a TWS IEM with tube amps next year :facepalm:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Good grief. So Vincent, did they send you one to review? What sort of power cord did you use on the headphone amp? :)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
How is it wired at the amp end though?
That would be bi-amping (which could be done as long as you have two connections). Bi-wiring is a "stupid audiophile trick" with no real-scientific benefit.

Bi-amping (or tri-amping) can be beneficial with speakers but I doubt it helps with IEMs/headphones. I doubt multiple drivers have any benefit...

Or do you need 2 DAPs/ amps- one especially for the BA and one the DD drivers? Oh the joy!
No... Bi-wiring just uses one regular amplifier with separate wires to the woofer/tweeter. The crossover has to be built differently and the speaker (or IEM) needs separate connections for the woofer & tweeter.

Bi-amping uses two amplifiers with an active crossover in front of the amps to split the highs & lows. Most active studio monitors are bi-amplified (internally).

I have a tri-amped setup in my van. That allows me to separately-adjust the levels to the lows, mids, & highs and if I happen to clip the bass amp the other amps remain clean.

julian_hughes

.... I doubt multiple drivers have any benefit...

Multiple drivers can be a good idea, especially with balanced armatures. IEMs with single balanced armatures almost always sound deficient at one end or the other. I have IEMs with double and single dynamic drivers and others with multiple balanced armatures. I've owned various combos and hybrids. I think good design and implementation trumps all else but with BAs two or more drivers always seems better than one.

Top Bottom