• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Bi amping

Thomas savage

Power hungry desperado
The Watchman
Patreon Donor
I'm thinking of getting some class D monoblocks to drive my bass woofers and using my Belles monoblocks on the mid range and tweeter.

I have two outputs on my preamp so it should be easy But are there any issues I shoud be aware of? Things like timing issues as diffrent amps being used or gain differences between my Belles and new clad d amps?

I have no clue but usually theses things are never as simple as buy 2 more amps and plug them in...

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Kal Rubinson

Major Contributor
Industry Insider
Gain difference is very likely and must be accounted for by the user.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I'm thinking of getting some class D monoblocks to drive my bass woofers and using my Belles monoblocks on the mid range and tweeter.

I have two outputs on my preamp so it should be easy But are there any issues I shoud be aware of? Things like timing issues as diffrent amps being used or gain differences between my Belles and new clad d amps?

I have no clue but usually theses things are never as simple as buy 2 more amps and plug them in...

Not totally clear on what you are suggesting. It seems to be passive bi-amping, where you are still using the passive xover in your speaker. I do not think that is worth the time and effort. And, as Kal notes, you do need some means of level balancing between HF and LF amps.

Active bi-amping is a better approach, though more complicated. But, to do that properly, you need to rewire your speakers internally to completely bypass the internal passive crossovers. The speaker manufacturer will just love that if you ever have a warranty repair situation. So, that can be problematical with most off the shelf speakers. Even if the speakers have separate HF and LF input terminals, the signal is still flowing through the passive internal xovers.

Best idea, is to leave your main speakers alone with one amp/channel and install one or more subwoofers which have active xovers, level and continuous phase controls, etc. for best integration, yet with a split of the frequency via an active xover. I do not think that subwoofers used without a hi pass filter for the main channels - mains run full range - is optimal due to phase synchronization issues.

watchnerd

Major Contributor
Beer Hero

What problem are you hoping to solve?

Are the Belles unable to provide enough output?

Or are you thinking you want some Class D 'flavor' in the bass?

watchnerd

Major Contributor
Beer Hero
Just wanted some class d flavour in my bass and take the load off my Belles .. Might be totally pointless but thought I might give it a go, as long as the 'problems' we're not prohibitive .
The forthcoming active Elac UB5 has Class D in the bass and Class A in tweeter. Adam Audio also uses similar on the large SX models. You could always try one of those to see if you like the 'flavor' before committing to the complete re-architecture of your existing passive system... ;):p:cool:

Top Bottom