• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bi-amping with loop out questions

MacCali

Major Contributor
Good day everyone, I am new to audio so please excuse the question. This is my first time bi-amping and I have a few questions. I just purchased two parasound HCA-1500's which I purchased to bi amp my 6 ohm speakers. From my understanding since my units have loop out I can loop my left channel to right, and vise versa, and the impedance of my speaker will not matter since it is a two channel unit and will function in that manner and have one channel going to the subs and one to the tweeter. Maybe totally off please excuse my confusion.

I do know a situation occurs if you try to bi amp or run in bridged mono a speaker that is 8 ohms it goes down to 4 ohms, so doing a 6 ohm speaker would drop it to 3 ohms which is not a good load to put upon the amplifier of this class. Like I said I may be totally off, hopefully I got my facts straight.

Now, my first question pertains to cross talk with this loop bi amping situation. I am assuming crosstalk will not matter since the sound is coming from a single location. Crosstalk will be in effect if I do loop out and use both channels, even if the sound is coming out of a single speaker. Please correct me if this is wrong.

Would it be better to just run bi amping from one speaker output terminal and not do the looping? running in a half stereo mode. I do not plan on running the amp on bridged mono. Parasound says that each channel has it's own windings per channel, so that running in half stereo will not get the full 1000va. In addition, they said it's better to run the unit in half stereo rather than bridged mono as bypassing the phase inverter will provide a cleaner sound unless I need 600 watts which I do not.

Second, do you think it's worth it for me to purchase a preamp in this scenario since crosstalk is virtually eliminated or is it? I am not planning on purchasing a parasound pre amp, and black friday is coming up. So I am trying to plan accordingly.

Appreciate your responses, thanks.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi. Since you have matching amps I would use one amp per speaker. Wiring one amp channel to the tweeter/mid and one to the woofers. This should give good results with a normal pre-amp such as the parasound.
Yes using bridged mode on the amps will half the speaker load impedance and could potentially cause an issue. What speakers are you using?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
From the parasound site. Definitely should be careful with that 3ohm impedance using bridged.
Screenshot_20211114-202142.png

OP
MacCali

MacCali

Major Contributor
Hi. Since you have matching amps I would use one amp per speaker. Wiring one amp channel to the tweeter/mid and one to the woofers. This should give good results with a normal pre-amp such as the parasound.
Yes using bridged mode on the amps will half the speaker load impedance and could potentially cause an issue. What speakers are you using?
of course, that is what I plan on doing, that's why I bought two.

any thoughts on the crosstalk? via bi amping from a single amp

Elac Adante AF-61, the tower speakers.

Top Bottom