• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyond frequency response measurements

alaios

Hi all,
I am new to measuring for quantifying problems with audio. I wanted to ask what type of measurements do I need to find out if are problems with the speakers.
I am giving one example:
Assume that the floor is not very sturdy, with old wood planks and they resonate as the subwoofer plays. How can we measure if this happens?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply.
Regards,
Alex

ppataki

Major Contributor
Besides the frequency curve, these are the ones that you can take a look at:
- phase curve: in an MPL measurement (main listening position) probably it will look pretty bad but it will give you an idea about reflections above the Schroeder frequency and potentially any crossover issues
- distortion graph: this will tell you about any distortions, probably this can be a good indicator for your floor resonance as it might appear as distortion too
- group delay: again, in case of an MLP measurement it will probably look messy but it is supposed to tell you how much the lower frequencies are lagging behind the rest of the range
- RT60: this shows you your room reverberation, typical value for a room bigger than 50m3 shall be 400-600ms above the Schroeder frequency
- Impulse response: will give you an idea about where reflections occur in your room
- Step response: the integral of the impulse response, used to give you info about the ringing in the lower frequencies
- Waterfall: will show you how energy decays over time, for frequencies above the Schroeder frequency it will give you an idea about echo/reverberation while for lower frequencies it will show you where excessive ringing will occur (in case of an MLP measurement)
- Spectrogram: can we configured to show you the waterfall 'from above' (Gaussian) and it can also be configured to show you on a micro-level the energy decay and delay for each frequency (Wavelet)

Top Bottom