• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BEYMA 12XA30ND 12" Coaxial Driver Impressions

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I see there is a range of coaxials from them, probably anything 10” or larger would work for me. Good to hear your experience, thanks,

Plcamp

Heh, this arrived on email today from PAP for trio 15 owners…

Special Summer 2021 offer:

Upgrade to Trio15 Coax10" (for Trio15 owners): US$2,790.
List price is US$3,490, you save US $800.
  • Shipping world-wide is included in price.
  • Customers in the EU need to add 19% VAT and items will be shipped from our warehouse in Dietzenbach, Germany.
  • Price for customers outside the US and EU is excl. VAT and import duties.
Shipped Items:
2 x OB-COAX10H1 10" Coaxial Drivers
2 x SGO Grade (Silver/Gold Oil) Factory Built Crossovers with Internal Wiring
2 x Center Baffles
Hardware for Mounting

4620FD23-0652-49D6-91D3-88BFB63CC1E4.jpeg

OP
M

milezone

Forum Donor
Looks quite nice. It's expensive compared with what I've got going though you're paying for the fit and finish of a hifi product. I'm sure it will perform very well if you opt to go that route.

Plcamp

Looks quite nice. It's expensive compared with what I've got going though you're paying for the fit and finish of a hifi product. I'm sure it will perform very well if you opt to go that route.

I won’t need either a crossover or panel so I continue to look at coaxials. Seems from what I see 10” have right sensitivity, and there are quite a few available. They all have lots of FR variation from their tweeters, not sure why that is.

I am baffled as to whether or not a coax or a pair of 6” midwoofers above\below an elliptic waveguide dome tweeter (Which I believe could cross as low as 1.5khz) would be best. I am in a medium sized room listening about 13’ away.

OP
M

milezone

Forum Donor
Here's a photo of my setup:
IMG_0775.jpg

I did a direct comparison today between the Genelecs and the Beymas in the same room. The initial observation is that the Genelecs are outstanding given their size. And the placement with windows behind them isn't optimal. The Genelecs produced substantially more pronounced bass compared with the Beymas driven by the 4w+4w single ended tube amp. The Beymas do play louder than the Genelecs which clip before reaching the output levels of the Beymas at 4watts. The upper end of the Beymas seemed a bit more poppy and etched in a good way, whereas the Genelecs sounded slightly muffled in comparison -- possibly due to the more full range presentation of the Genelecs compared with the bass lacking nature of the Beymas. I give the mid and upper end detail to the Beymas. I have an NCore amplifier on order to see how it compares with the tube amp.

I'm planning to build a Linkwitz LX521 to test in conjunction with these speakers I already have. One plan is to create an open baffle housing for the Beymas and place them on top of the LX521 subwoofer section. The drivers in these subs measure very well though they are low sensitivity 86db compared to the Beyma's 98db. I couldn't find a 12" or 15" bass driver that measured better. However I am curious whether there is an advantage to using a larger high sensitivity driver compared to four (two per channel) low sensitivity drivers in the LX521 subs. Any suggestions are appreciated. In addition is there a better option than the 2x4 MiniDSP crossover or is this sufficient?

Godataloss

Here's a photo of my setup:
View attachment 142265

I did a direct comparison today between the Genelecs and the Beymas in the same room. The initial observation is that the Genelecs are outstanding given their size. And the placement with windows behind them isn't optimal. The Genelecs produced substantially more pronounced bass compared with the Beymas driven by the 4w+4w single ended tube amp. The Beymas do play louder than the Genelecs which clip before reaching the output levels of the Beymas at 4watts. The upper end of the Beymas seemed a bit more poppy and etched in a good way, whereas the Genelecs sounded slightly muffled in comparison -- possibly due to the more full range presentation of the Genelecs compared with the bass lacking nature of the Beymas. I give the mid and upper end detail to the Beymas. I have an NCore amplifier on order to see how it compares with the tube amp.

I'm planning to build a Linkwitz LX521 to test in conjunction with these speakers I already have. One plan is to create an open baffle housing for the Beymas and place them on top of the LX521 subwoofer section. The drivers in these subs measure very well though they are low sensitivity 86db compared to the Beyma's 98db. I couldn't find a 12" or 15" bass driver that measured better. However I am curious whether there is an advantage to using a larger high sensitivity driver compared to four (two per channel) low sensitivity drivers in the LX521 subs. Any suggestions are appreciated. In addition is there a better option than the 2x4 MiniDSP crossover or is this sufficient?
Nice clean setup. Have you progressed on the Linkwitz sub build? Makes me want to dive back into my stockpile of vintage 15 inch coaxials- EV 15trx (wonderful), Goodman Triaxioms (amazing potential), even some utahs that showed some promise. The tone you get from a vintage 15 is captivating.

emilkoz

Happy to have stumbled upon this thread. Been wanting to build OBs for a while and recently noticed PAPs new coax version is (modified?) Beymas 10cx300. I’m looking to use these with 18 inch Beyma woofers for bass duty.

I’ve enjoyed KEFS coaxial bookshelf speakers. But in OB, does point source have the same benefits?

If not I might as well do a W-M-T OB

Top Bottom