• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic T1 Review (V2 headphone)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
HP users may be well aware of this site. How does it rate?
They use their own fixture for headphone measurements with unknown characteristics. I can't make heads and tails out of it the few times I have gone there.

FYI this headphone is very easy to measure and the few that I looked up all match mine pretty closely.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't get the T1(v2) either.
This is what I get on FP.
fr-t1mk2.png

Despite its high impedance it is more voltage sensitive than the DT990.

escalibur

@amirm Can you measure DT 1990 Pros by any means?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Give that eq a try and report back on what you think. The depressed 1 to 5 kHz is not good for anyone. Indeed if you can't hear the higher bits, you would want to hear this range.
Just word of advice.
When hedaphones can't be pushed up because it introduces distortion instead you push everything else down to EQ and effect is the same minus the distortion and the fact you need a little more juice to drive them.
Something is wrong with this measurements obviously to big variations to all other measurements of same one's, either those are defective or something else.
Best regards.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Something is wrong with this measurements obviously to big variations to all other measurements of same one's

I don't think so.

Here's my distortion measurement at 90dB SPL:
dist-t1mk2-r-percent.png

Consider Amir measured at 94dB SPL his measurements look very similar to mine.
Also FR seems to be similar except my pinna-less measurements doesn't have sharp dips at 11 and 14kHz and because of the driver being angled the dip around 3kHz will be a few dB 'deeper' n my plots.

Amirs sound description also makes sense. What he call 'dull' I call 'laid-back' or 'lacking in clarity'. Dull for me means 'rolled off in the treble' which it isn't at all.
The T1v2 has a similar tonal balance as the Amiron Home but with angled (different) drivers and costing twice as much.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I don't think so.

Here's my distortion measurement at 90dB SPL:
dist-t1mk2-r-percent.png

Consider Amir measured at 94dB SPL his measurements look very similar to mine.
Also FR seems to be similar except my pinna-less measurements doesn't have sharp dips at 11 and 14kHz and because of the driver being angled the dip around 3kHz will be a few dB 'deeper' n my plots.

Amirs sound description also makes sense. What he call 'dull' I call 'laid-back' or 'lacking in clarity'. Dull for me means 'rolled off in the treble' which it isn't at all.
The T1v2 has a similar tonal balance as the Amiron Home but with angled (different) drivers and costing twice as much.
Somehow dip in his measurements is at 5 KHz which is really bad and not at 3.5 KHz where its not that bad. Seems those distor really bad even out of the box under 70~80 Hz.

roz

I've been trying to convince myself to get a T1 for the longest time(like 5 years or so), but the treble from measurements have always been off putting. I'm kind of disappointed that it measured pretty bad.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another one of mine bites the dust. As predicted .

Anyone is the US got a pair of the old Denon /Fostex Dx000 to send him?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Somehow dip in his measurements is at 5 KHz which is really bad and not at 3.5 KHz where its not that bad. Seems those distort really bad even out of the box under 70~80 Hz.

1 to 5% in the lowest frequencies (mainly 2nd harm or 3rd harm) is not really audible as (nasty) distortion.
A similar percentage between 500Hz and 5kHz is.
At 'normal' listening levels it does not sound distorted. These headphones sound quite decent at lower listening levels on pop music. Levels one can continue to listen to for hours. When one EQ's up the bass and the dip around 3kHz and listens at loud (analytic levels and louder) it might start to sound a little coarser.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wanna see the Ether CX! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanna see the Ether CX! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1 the reputation of my whole collection hangs in the balance. So far more duds than winners.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
1 to 5% in the lowest frequencies (mainly 2nd harm or 3rd harm) is not really audible as (nasty) distortion.
A similar percentage between 500Hz and 5kHz is.
At 'normal' listening levels it does not sound distorted. These headphones sound quite decent at lower listening levels on pop music. Levels one can continue to listen to for hours. When one EQ's up the bass and the dip around 3kHz and listens at loud (analytic levels and louder) it might start to sound a little coarser.
If you try to push it up while it distorts as it is it becames severe, basically trying to push them what they can't do. Pay attention to the subjective part of review where Amir says how female vocals sounded bad and recesed and while this is true it pins it down wrong to 1 KHz (in this case) it's related to uper high mids if the drop whose at 3.2~3.7 KHz it would sound a bit different (actually quite good for strings, folk and classic) but not bad but when it's at 5 then it sounds horrible as that's where timber (popularly so called) starts. I have and like (for comfort lv) hedaphones which act and behave similarly (bass distortion and 3.5 KHz dip) but those that I have do that at 103 dB LPS so pushing it down to 98 dB (listening at 92~96 dB) and EQ-ing doesn't hurt much but when you have to push it down to 85 or even less then it's bad.
Best regards.

escalibur

My DT 1990 Pros just died :( Yesteday I was cleaning them from dust and today when I tried to use them volume was very very weak. I tried to switch cables and such and nothing seem to help. I even tried two different amps, nah same thing. Even after cranking amp almost to the maximum volume was very low.

I decided to open them and have a look inside and all the cables were in place. I couldn't see any visible damage. However when I moved the internal cable once or twice soldering of white cable got cut.

44ucaNJ.png

Shortly the red was also cut. I can't believe that the quality is really this low. We are talking about Beyerdynamics here. Now I have to ask around for a soldering iron to fix this by myself. :(

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But you liked them before so they can't be all that bad ;)

Ha- I was listening to the T1s last night and enjoying them. I will do so again. I think what Amir is doing, especially with the distortion testing is flushing out the fact that a lot of the more expensive models are flawed from an engineering perspective. Buyers should not spend £000 and expect perfection , or indeed better engineering than £300.

But I think it is easy to look at the "bad" results and say these are a terrible headphone. I suspect many readers would put a pair on , without eq even and might be surprised. Worth the money? No, definitely not. Worth a listen?- well variety is the spice of life.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My DT 1990 Pros just died :( Yesteday I was cleaning them from dust and today when I tried to use them volume was very very weak. I tried to switch cables and such and nothing seem to help. I even tried two different amps, nah same thing. Even after cranking amp almost to the maximum volume was very low.

I decided to open them and have a look inside and all the cables were in place. I couldn't see any visible damage. However when I moved the internal cable once or twice sodering of white cable got cut.

44ucaNJ.png

Shortly the red was also cut. I can't believe that the quality is really this low. We are talking about Beyerdynamics here. Now I have to ask around for a soldering iron to fix this by myself. :(

The issue here is that the wires are soldered (and does not seem to be a spectacular job) and then heat-shrink wrapping puts strain on the wires.
A classic engineering error.

3125b

Major Contributor
Well, can't say I'm surprised. The T1 1st and 2nd gen aren't terrible headphones, but I never understood why they should cost 1000€.

My DT 1990 Pros just died
Seems to be more common these days - I've read a fair amount of stories about failing Beyers in the last weeks. But then again, they are common here.
In your picture the worksmanship looks really bad, way worse than the older (and cheaper) Beyers I have taken apart. Looks almost as bad as my HE-35X :)

Maiky76

Hi,

Some thoughts about the EQ:

Code:
Beyerdynamic T1 V2 APO EQ Score 96000Hz
February082021-183923

Preamp: -7.2 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 27 Hz Gain 5.55 dB Q 0.7
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 212 Hz Gain -3.3 dB Q 0.7
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1408 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 2.81
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2357 Hz Gain 5.72 dB Q 2.31
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 0.95