• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic T1 Review (V2 headphone)

Jabinho

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Beyerdynamic T1 Version 2 "semi-open" headphone. It is on kind loan from a member. This is discontinued but I think the cost was $1049 when available.

This is the flagship model from Beyerdynamic but to me, it doesn't look it:

View attachment 111175

The T1 feels light and is generally comfortable. It does pinch the bottom of my ear though so pay attention to these measurements to make sure it won't yours:

View attachment 111176

The included split, dual 3.5mm stereo jacks seems sturdy and long enough for mountain climbing! It tangled everywhere. Fortunately since it is removable you could make your own one. While you are at it, make it balanced to take advantage of higher power in some headphone amps with this type of output.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are preformed using standardized GRAS 45CA headphone measurement fixture. Headphone measurements require more interpretation than speaker tests and have more of a requirement for subjective testing as a result. In addition, comparison of measurements between different people performing it using different configurations requires fair bit of skill. So don't look for matching results. Focus on high level picture. Listening tests are performed using RME ADI-2 DAC and its headphone output.

Beyerdynamic T1 V2 Measurements
Let's start with frequency response of T1 and comparison to our preference target to figure out tonality of the headphone:

View attachment 111177

Story here is quite simple as noted on the graph. Like many headphones, bass response drops below 100 Hz so sub-bass response is going to be poor. We then get good alignment until we reach 1 kHz or so where we have good bit of deficit. This is bad as I consider this region "audiophile life of music!" Without it, female vocals feel recessed and lack sparkle. Spatial effects also suffer although the angled drivers and open back of this headphone may remedy that partially. Thankfully when it comes to high frequency accentuation, we only have one resonance peak around 8 kHz so the sound should not be bright across all content.

We can subtract the two curves and see the relative response telling the same story:

View attachment 111178

We have 8 dB of droop and 8 dB of peaking!

I am not happy with the amount of distortion the T1 produced especially for a "flagship" headphone:
View attachment 111179

Sure, we get low frequency distortion often but here that also spreads to 100 Hz plus. And doesn't stay quiet above that either.

Group delay shows some messiness where we are showing distortion above indicating driver not responding well:

View attachment 111180

The T1 is stated to have 600 ohm impedance which is already high. Turns out that the real impedance can be much worse:
View attachment 111181

In bass frequencies where we have most energy in music, impedance rises even higher to whopping 910 ohm! This means you want a headphone drive/amplifier that does well with high impedance, i.e. produces high voltage. This rules out most portable solutions such as phones and tablets. So even though sensitivity is not too crazy:

View attachment 111182

You still need to have very good drive for this headphone. I noticed that the third generation one is rated at 32 ohm so they seem to have learned their lesson here.

Beyerdynamic T1 V2 Headphone Listening and Equalization
As I had predicted, general experience was decent with this headphone. The sound was not exciting but nor was it annoying unlike the DT990 I recently reviewed. I thought then it would be a walk in the park to boost the lows and mid-frequencies and pull down that dip with EQ:
View attachment 111183

The results were indeed quite positive. The sound now had that sparkle I look for together with better bass response. A few tracks into testing though and boom, I hit on this same warbling distortion I experienced with the DT990. This was on a section of vocal. Shut off EQ and it reduced the amount but it was still there. Turned the bass EQ on and off and it had large impact on this distortion. Now I was stuck. Without bass EQ, the sound was somewhat bright now and of course we didn't have satisfying bass. With it, three tracks would sound good and all of a sudden I would hear this distortion which would pull me out of music.

I tried to tease this out by running different tests such as intermodulation, etc. While they showed the T1 to have more distortion than some other headphones, it did not show the problem clearly. So I resorted to listening. I fed the output of RME ADI-2 DAC to Topping A90 in its high gain mode so that I could really crank up the volume (!). Once there, I could hear the same distortion whenever there was a rich spectrum of low and high frequencies. At lowest volumes, it would be barely detectable. Turn up the volume to medium and you could hear it. Turn it all the way up and it would become horrendously distorted. A bit more and it would crackle. And again, that bass boost would make it much worse.

I put in some high pass filters between 70 and 100 Hz and problem was mostly there still. This tells me that the issue is the distortion above 100 Hz that is most audible. This is not a full diagnostic (that is up to the manufacturer to figure out) but enough to tell me that you can't save this headphone with EQ.

As I was running the distortion tests against some other headphones, I listened to a few seconds to AKG K371 and Ether AEON RT Closed. Oh what revelation those two headphones were compared to T1. Beautiful tonality with no sign of the distortion I was chasing above. That's when I decided the T1 is a failure.

Conclusions
I equate German engineering with excellence. When it comes to headphone design though, we need to go beyond how something is machined and manufactured. We need ultra low distortion and proper tonality. This is what an excellent headphone can deliver but unfortunately the Beyerydnamic T1 V2 is absent from the party. It is too dull without EQ and too distorted with leaving me nowhere to go. Fine, you believe different tonality but what is the excuse for high distortion in such an expensive headphone? And you made it hard to drive too so the headphone amp may also contribute to it???

I cannot recommend the Beyerdynamic T1 V2. Hopefully the third-generation version is much better.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

I think my version doesn't need any extra low end.
Tested headphones must be either broken unit or early production model.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ummm, no. You don't need anymore bass. Others will.

JWAmerica

Cope harder. Have you measured your cans? Stop being stupid and just admit you like the frequency response and don't care about fidelity.

Sharur

It took me a while to accept that the DT880 600 Ω is complete garbage. I understand your pain...

Reactions: Pio

respice finem

Major Contributor
@Jabinho The usual "my ears can't be wrong, it must be a problem with the test or the unit". While this may occur once in a while, it's not plausible to expect it in almost every "objective" test. And even more so, considering others have measured similar results.

My humble advice: smell the coffee, EQ your HP (or don't) and get over it. I did. If your HP is good enough for you, what's the problem anyway? BTW, by pure coincidence, the previously stated parameters seem to have vanished from the mfr website...

Last edited:

Sharur

I'm pretty sure every time someone has one of those "I've never heard that before" moments in a song with beyers, it's just the distortion lol. That was certainly the case for me.

Sharur

A few tracks into testing though and boom, I hit on this same warbling distortion I experienced with the DT990. This was on a section of vocal. Shut off EQ and it reduced the amount but it was still there. Turned the bass EQ on and off and it had large impact on this distortion.

I tried to tease this out by running different tests such as intermodulation, etc. While they showed the T1 to have more distortion than some other headphones, it did not show the problem clearly. So I resorted to listening. I fed the output of RME ADI-2 DAC to Topping A90 in its high gain mode so that I could really crank up the volume (!). Once there, I could hear the same distortion whenever there was a rich spectrum of low and high frequencies. At lowest volumes, it would be barely detectable. Turn up the volume to medium and you could hear it. Turn it all the way up and it would become horrendously distorted. A bit more and it would crackle. And again, that bass boost would make it much worse.

I put in some high pass filters between 70 and 100 Hz and problem was mostly there still. This tells me that the issue is the distortion above 100 Hz that is most audible. This is not a full diagnostic (that is up to the manufacturer to figure out) but enough to tell me that you can't save this headphone with EQ.

As I was running the distortion tests against some other headphones, I listened to a few seconds to AKG K371 and Ether AEON RT Closed. Oh what revelation those two headphones were compared to T1. Beautiful tonality with no sign of the distortion I was chasing above. That's when I decided the T1 is a failure.
I was telling some "audiophiles" about why I stopped using DT880 600 Ω and citing issues you described as exactly what I am experiencing. Their excuse was that the headphone is "more resolving."

Reactions: Pio

ArthuRScarlet

So anyone has experience on T1 V1? Recently i got one, and it seems dont have 3-4khz problem, and the bass response is almost flat. It seems T1 V1 has better frequency response than T1 V2.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So anyone has experience on T1 V1? Recently i got one, and it seems dont have 3-4khz problem, and the bass response is almost flat. It seems T1 V1 has better frequency response than T1 V2.
Did you run FR curves...?

ArthuRScarlet

Did you run FR curves...?
That is exactly the problem: Currently i dont have any device to measure it. But i got a FR from a different T1 V1 of my chinese friend.
090438mgw6az7walp4e4f7.jpg

Although it still has not enough 1-3khz, but with Inclined drivers the mid sounds not so bad as T1 V2.
And here is another sample from innerfidelity
031704flfksnwfk5t5tsnn.jpg

That is a late version of T1 V1(No.10000+), which has more treble in 9khz,and that made the sound worse than the old version(No.6639)
I wonder if T1 V1 is better than T1 V2, or just "OK to buy one from ebay with 400 dollar"

ArthuRScarlet

Just found a manga about headphone and it dedicated a whole chapter for the development history of T1 . I laughed so much when reading this

n8H58DY.jpg
So the story of T1 series is basically a girl who slowly corrupted... ...
T1 Gen.1, a holy, elegant german princess idol, was criticized for her “cold heart"(close to reference), so later version she become more active(more treble)
T1 Gen.2, More bass, less 3k, more treble, in order to entertain those who need exciting sound and punches.
T1 Gen.3 The princess has completely corrupted into a street baby, who has tons of bass and nearly no 3k, just like old beats.

csxx520

That is exactly the problem: Currently i dont have any device to measure it. But i got a FR from a different T1 V1 of my chinese friend.View attachment 167719
Although it still has not enough 1-3khz, but with Inclined drivers the mid sounds not so bad as T1 V2.
And here is another sample from innerfidelity
View attachment 167720
That is a late version of T1 V1(No.10000+), which has more treble in 9khz,and that made the sound worse than the old version(No.6639)
I wonder if T1 V1 is better than T1 V2, or just "OK to buy one from ebay with 400 dollar"
I have to say that the sub bass of T1 GEN1 in the first figure looks strange..... Maybe the headphone was pressed very hard?
And I think these two T1s are not so different at 9KHz too.

csxx520

I have to say that the sub bass of T1 GEN1 in the first figure looks strange..... Maybe the headphone was pressed very hard?
And I think these two T1s are not so different at 9KHz too.
My T1 Gen1 is No. 25000+, the bass is definitely not flat. That is strange because I heard that the main difference between T1 of different versions is treble.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This came out after HD800 right ? I guess once Sennheiser pushed the ''high end'' prices, Beyer just pressed all the buttons and released this as a expensive flagship lol.
I'm guessing the best Beyer is DT 1990. It has flaws and peaks but for a Beyer, it's damn good. It follows the Harman curve well and have exceptional bass and ''speed'' out of the box. 8k peak is crazy though. My favourite is good old DT 770.

ArthuRScarlet

My T1 Gen1 is No. 25000+, the bass is definitely not flat. That is strange because I heard that the main difference between T1 of different versions is treble.
I have figured out why. The late version has equipped with new-updated EDT T1V earpads, which are harder, tougher as the old EDT T1V, and that affects the bass performance for sure. Recently i have measured 2 different T1 V1, later maybe i'll post the results

csxx520

I have figured out why. The late version has equipped with new-updated EDT T1V earpads, which are harder, tougher as the old EDT T1V, and that affects the bass performance for sure. Recently i have measured 2 different T1 V1, later maybe i'll post the results
Yeah I saw some complaints about the new T1V comes with black label.
But I still think the difference is not very huge, from mid bass to sub bass, like within 3dB?

ArthuRScarlet

Yeah I saw some complaints about the new T1V comes with black label.
But I still think the difference is not very huge, from mid bass to sub bass, like within 3dB?
T1 1代 No.1225 白卡EDT T1V耳罩 单元靠前、后佩戴.jpg
T1 1代 No.1225 新黑卡耳罩 单元靠前、后佩戴.jpg

The first img is the FR of T1 Gen 1 No.1225, which in its old original EDT T1V(not collapsed)
The second one is the same T1 with a pair of new EDT T1V
U can see the new earpads are more difficult to seal properly as they are harder, but they also have more(2dB) bass, and less mids between 600-1500hz. This may be the main reason why new pads sound worse than the original one
PS: Red line is the FR when the driver is rather far from ears (Ears are placed at very rear of the chamber)
Yellow line is the FR when the driver is close to the ears (Ears are placed at very front of the chamber)

respice finem

Major Contributor
I came, I saw, and I couldn't believe my eyes
(from Asterix)

SOT: Just sharing an anecdotal annoyance with my T1 Mk2: After moving house, I unpacked two new headphone stands with wooden supports (which "slept" in their retail boxes for approx. nine months) https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08C4VSZJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The two headphones pictured below (Beyerdynamic T1 Mk 2 and DT 1990 Pro) were used relatively sporadically, because I'm listening more via loudspeakers now, so they were "untouched" on these stands for maybe two weeks. Two identical stands, bought together, the colour difference visible is not really present, just slightly different angle.
20230614_194829.jpg

I picked up the T1 and the stand was sticking to it. What the .... I thought and cautiously pryed them apart - with the below result. How nice...

20230614_195000.jpg

20230614_195630.jpg

Interestingly, the other headphone (DT 1990 Pro, with seemingly the same faux leather headband) is not affected at all, after sitting the same amount of time on the stand's "twin":

20230614_194929.jpg

I really don't know what happened, must be a kind of chemical reaction between the wood (factory treated?) and the headband. The affected headband is intact, only "bald", and I tend to clean the s... off and just wait what happens (in the worst case, I'll get leather tape from a bike shop and fix it). Stuff happens...

chi2

Forum Donor
Had the very same issue with a T5P Gen. 2. It's the headband themselves. They do it even without any contact with other materials. Very poor quality. Even more so for the price. I contacted Beyerdynamic and the replacement parts would have been way too expensive. I therefore went for the headband of the Beyerdynamic Custom (part number: 4010118935442) for CHF/USD 15. It's being fixed by velcro, feels nice, and fits surprisingly well over the arc after it was freed from the ugly decayed parts.

Top Bottom