• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic - service

DarekP

Can anyone advise me where I could repair the Beyerdynamic T51P headphones?
Five days after the end of the warranty, the left earphone stopped working. Many promises from the manufacturer ended in nothing. I sent the headphones back to the recommended website indicated by the manufacturer, and they disappeared for many months. A few days ago, I received it back with a note that the headphones had not been repaired.
The manufacturer's service representative informed me that there was nothing he could do, although it was not even want to check what was the cause of the damage to the headphones.
I am disgusted and frustrated by the Producer's approach.
I do not recommend Beyerdynamic products, as the devices are only supported during the warranty period - after this time, you should buy new ones.

threni

Major Contributor
This is why I don't like buying anything expensive. Not because I'm poor/cheap, but because I just have no faith in the process. Companies used to build stuff to last so that in 10,15, 20 years when something better comes along and you feel like an upgrade/treating yourself, you'd consider a product from the same company. Those days are over - no business is run on that basis. You need to think of whatever warranty period you get as its total lifespan and every day beyond that as borrowed time. My Sony TV had a 5 year warranty. It died a year in. They took it away and gave me a refurb in return. The panel had died and it wasn't worth their money and effort replacing it with a new one. I didn't pay second hand prices though - I bought new. Where possible (hifi/music equipment, desktop computers) I'll try and build it myself, and/or source parts at Amazon - literally the only retailer I've ever used which doesn't try and rip me off at every turn. Obviously you can't do that with a DAC, amp, headphones etc. I considered getting the HD 800S but I looked at the warranty in the UK, and the cost of replacement cables etc and just went with the HD 660S. I can't think I'm alone, even if the market clearly tolerates the current situation.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone advise me where I could repair the Beyerdynamic T51P headphones?
Five days after the end of the warranty, the left earphone stopped working. Many promises from the manufacturer ended in nothing. I sent the headphones back to the recommended website indicated by the manufacturer, and they disappeared for many months. A few days ago, I received it back with a note that the headphones had not been repaired.
The manufacturer's service representative informed me that there was nothing he could do, although it was not even want to check what was the cause of the damage to the headphones.
I am disgusted and frustrated by the Producer's approach.
I do not recommend Beyerdynamic products, as the devices are only supported during the warranty period - after this time, you should buy new ones.
Wow. Just wow! I've never seen such poor customer service. 24 years of sales and service operations in domestic/consumer electronics business and never saw such poor treatment. Sorry to hear about your loss.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is why I don't like buying anything expensive. Not because I'm poor/cheap, but because I just have no faith in the process. Companies used to build stuff to last so that in 10,15, 20 years when something better comes along and you feel like an upgrade/treating yourself, you'd consider a product from the same company. Those days are over - no business is run on that basis. You need to think of whatever warranty period you get as its total lifespan and every day beyond that as borrowed time. My Sony TV had a 5 year warranty. It died a year in. They took it away and gave me a refurb in return. The panel had died and it wasn't worth their money and effort replacing it with a new one. I didn't pay second hand prices though - I bought new. Where possible (hifi/music equipment, desktop computers) I'll try and build it myself, and/or source parts at Amazon - literally the only retailer I've ever used which doesn't try and rip me off at every turn. Obviously you can't do that with a DAC, amp, headphones etc. I considered getting the HD 800S but I looked at the warranty in the UK, and the cost of replacement cables etc and just went with the HD 660S. I can't think I'm alone, even if the market clearly tolerates the current situation.

You're not alone, especially when it comes to devices with sealed batteries where cost of replacing the battery is a very high percentage of just buying a replacement product I can't see the point of spending a lot. It's part of the reason I abandoned ANC headphones and went to Etymotic ER4SR IEMs, if anything they are better for shutting noise out and they don't have the built in obsolescence of batteries. I had an early version of the Sony 1000XM headphones which I really liked but battery life fell off a cliff after two years. I had the AKG N90Q for a while and found both the product reliability and Harman European service terrible. You'd think I would have learned a lesson but my wife bought some AKG N200NC wireless earphones which she loved but they died after about 6 months. By that time we had moved to Singapore and were told we had to return them to the UK for service. And I have gone through the issue of buying mid - range (not so expensive but not cheap) TVs only to run into software issues and poor support.

markanini

Major Contributor
Often money is better spent on a nice outfit or dinner with a friend.

I prefer buying new from large chain physical stores with generous return policies. Especially products with unit variability like headphones, speakers, TVs/monitors. I recently bought a PC monitor which had worse uniformity than reviewed samples. I went back to the store and purchased two more. Back at home #2 measured much better and #3 worse than the first one. #1 and #3 were returned the next day, no questions asked.

I've had too much stuff break, or have channel imbalances that I purchased used. No store will back you up in that case and neither will the state.

threni

Major Contributor
You're not alone, especially when it comes to devices with sealed batteries where cost of replacing the battery is a very high percentage of just buying a replacement product I can't see the point of spending a lot. It's part of the reason I abandoned ANC headphones and went to Etymotic ER4SR IEMs, if anything they are better for shutting noise out and they don't have the built in obsolescence of batteries. I had an early version of the Sony 1000XM headphones which I really liked but battery life fell off a cliff after two years. I had the AKG N90Q for a while and found both the product reliability and Harman European service terrible. You'd think I would have learned a lesson but my wife bought some AKG N200NC wireless earphones which she loved but they died after about 6 months. By that time we had moved to Singapore and were told we had to return them to the UK for service. And I have gone through the issue of buying mid - range (not so expensive but not cheap) TVs only to run into software issues and poor support.
Really funny you mentioned the Sony headphones. I passed over buying the XM3 when they were launched at £330 in the UK for that exact reason - non-replaceable battery, and Sony being Sony (I also had a Sony Android phone screen just die after just over 2 years as I was using it). They have a good reputation. although I suspect that this is largely due to a combination of their historical excellence at pro-grade stuff, which I believe is continuing, as well as Walkmans and the like being made back when consumer stuff was built to last). i went for Sennheiser as I've had no problems with any of their products. I eventually got the Sony XM3 when they were reduced to £160 last year, as I'd feel less of a gullible fool if the battery fails after what I'd consider to be an insufficiently long time, at that price. It would be great if companies felt moved/were compelled to publish exactly what service you can expect after purchase: what gets fixed for free; what they'll fix (ie batteries) at what cost and for how long. They'd have to stick to it, or refund the cost of the item. (And none of this "you need to start thinking about flights and hotels and time off work if you want to get it fixed under warranty" crap). It would definitely steer me towards buying their stuff, and would be green too - I'd buy less stuff, but more expensive stuff perhaps if I knew I'd be using it for 5 or 10 or 15 years.

threni

Major Contributor
Often money is better spent on a nice outfit or dinner with a friend.

I prefer buying new from large chain physical stores with generous return policies. Especially products with unit variability like headphones, speakers, TVs/monitors. I recently bought a PC monitor which had worse uniformity than reviewed samples. I went back to the store and purchased two more. Back at home #2 measured much better and #3 worse than the first one. #1 and #3 were returned the next day, no questions asked.

I've had too much stuff break, or have channel imbalances that I purchased used. No store will back you up in that case and neither will the state.
The thing is, in the UK at least, you can buy stuff online and you get legal protection you don't get buying in a store - even buying the same item from the same store. Bought a laptop online and it has dead/hot pixels? Just send it back within a week. You don't even have to give a reason. Buy the same laptop from the same shop on the high street, and you'll hear the shop assistant - plus the store manager if you bother to escalate it - point at the small print which says "we consider a small number of dead/hot pixels an acceptable part of the manufacture process". Yeah, well, I'm paying for it, and I don't. Shops are dead. If you have one which manages to balance not going bust with not ripping off the customer I'd make the most of it while it lasts!

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
Check the laws of your country. In my country faulty products up to 3 years after purchase are to be replaced or reimbursed. EU has a 2 year minimum.
In reality they'll point you at local law with more restrictions (repair only after a few months; this or that isn't covered). HTC and Orange refused to fix a phone - said they were happy they followed EU law. I'd have had to take time off with; represent myself or pay someone. A lot of effort/risk for £70. Easier to just remember "don't use Orange/buy HTC products", tell everyone etc and move on.

markanini

Major Contributor
That's why I avoid specifics. The product was not what I expected it to be, that's all. Don't give the store a reason to object. You might think it sounds deceptive but if that's the only way to protect your self as a consumer so be it.

Last edited:
F

freemansteve

It is all so non-eco.
There is no reason why all consumer-durable products should not come with a 5 or 10 years warranty - this is the only way to improve quality and not wreck the planet.

Top Bottom