• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic Impacto

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody know the rationale of Beyerdynamic in making a DAC and headphone amp which is pretty much designed for three headphone models and which is ultra compact when the compatible headphones are far from portable? Restricting such a product to just Beyerdynamic headphones would seem to narrow potential sales hugely, to design it around three very expensive models makes it a product to serve a small niche within a niche, which begs the question - why? Also, on size. The Impacto is tiny, and clearly would be fantastic as a mobile companion. However, of the three models it was designed for are open back so not really for mobile use, and the closed back T5p is hardly a mobile friendly model given its bulk and the fact it doesn't fold (its carry case almost qualifies as a piece of carry on baggage in its own right).

I've listened to the Impacto and it actually worked really well with my T5p 2 gen, it's relatively affordable and feels pretty well built. I liked it but while it worked well for me since I already have a pair of T5p's it seems a rather odd product.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just looked that up and it is pretty bizarre. I'm pretty sure there are a few other headphones out there with compatible jacks for their detachable cables but it's still a very odd choice to limit it's market that way.

It's looks like a dongle for one of those cheap gaming headsets.

qU2Jyqjl.jpg

Sythrix

You have to understand beyerdynamic is an old-school company. They don’t understand why people want portable DACs, only that there is a demand.

Restricting it to their own brand seems like a logical choice to their designers, who want to push sales of their own products along with "bundles".

Hopefully the high price, unattractive design and silly dual 3.5mm termination will be resolved with the next iteration, assuming they don’t give up completely due to poor sales.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In a funny way I find their old school ethos rather endearing. The industrial design of the T5p and T1 might politely be described as looking rather homespun, especially compared to the high end Sennheiser, Akg, Audio Technica etc models. They seem to be avoiders of fashion which helps explain why they are "the other" German headphone manufacturer. However it is nice to see a company that plays up its heritage still manufacture at home. I love my T5p headphones but I do find some of Beyerdynamic's ideas a bit odd. To go to the effort of designing a portable DAC amp and then exclude most of their own headphones from being compatible with it never mind anyone else's seems bizarre.

Top Bottom