• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic entering the modern world and getting serious about the consumer segment?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just noticed that Beyerdynamic have changed their logo and corporate image. And they've finally released a noise cancelling travel headphone as well to add to a few wireless and more modern looking headphones over recent times. Is Beyerdynamic finally getting on the modern headphone bus? For as long as I can remember Beyerdynamic have been a rather staid, conservative producer whose industrial design hasn't really changed for years and years and which has stayed true to their core market of studio equipment with forays into the world of audiophilia. Yet despite their conservative style they also have a well deserved reputation for high build quality and making durable equipment. And they still manufacture in Germany. Despite the infamous Beyerdynamic treble I've always had a soft spot for them as a company built on substance rather than just appealing to the styles of the moment. On the other hand, while other companies like Sennheiser have expanded and developed lifestyle type products Beyerdynamic have remained a bit of a niche producer outside the pro audio market. If they've decided to follow the path well trod to greater sales and no doubt margins with a greater focus on the hipster and audiophile segments I just hope they don't dilute their focus on quality.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I just noticed that Beyerdynamic have changed their logo and corporate image. And they've finally released a noise cancelling travel headphone as well to add to a few wireless and more modern looking headphones over recent times. Is Beyerdynamic finally getting on the modern headphone bus? For as long as I can remember Beyerdynamic have been a rather staid, conservative producer whose industrial design hasn't really changed for years and years and which has stayed true to their core market of studio equipment with forays into the world of audiophilia. Yet despite their conservative style they also have a well deserved reputation for high build quality and making durable equipment. And they still manufacture in Germany. Despite the infamous Beyerdynamic treble I've always had a soft spot for them as a company built on substance rather than just appealing to the styles of the moment. On the other hand, while other companies like Sennheiser have expanded and developed lifestyle type products Beyerdynamic have remained a bit of a niche producer outside the pro audio market. If they've decided to follow the path well trod to greater sales and no doubt margins with a greater focus on the hipster and audiophile segments I just hope they don't dilute their focus on quality.

It is unfortunate that the only Beyer cans that I may be currently interested in (aventho -- wired version has detachable cables!) right now have reviews and pictures showing the head band's plastic clip breaking. Hmmmn... I have the the t51i and the non-detachable cable was the weakest point. Had to pry open and resolder than damned thing -- not fun. I might finally now get a proper detachable cable with the aventhos, but now I also have to worry about an essential plastic part holding the headphones together breaking?

Like you said: I'm all for modernizing the company... but, please, I certainly hope they don't sacrifice their QC.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who knows, their step into the modern world may lead them to reconsider the famous Beyerdynamic treble! Seriously, I genuinely hope that they flourish and exploiting the much bigger and very lucrative consumer market seems very sensible, I just hope that they do it without losing their soul.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who knows, their step into the modern world may lead them to reconsider the famous Beyerdynamic treble! Seriously, I genuinely hope that they flourish and exploiting the much bigger and very lucrative consumer market seems very sensible, I just hope that they do it without losing their soul.
The only Beyer headphones I know well is the DT100, beloved of radio stations and studios. Rugged, workmanlike headphones that you can drive a truck over. How good they are is in some respects besides the point. I think their biggest strength is familiarity, whatever studio one happens to be working in, they'll have some DT100s so very familiar to everyone.

Whilst I understand their wanting some of the 'lifestyle', 'hipster' or whatever market, I hope the DT100 will continue in perpetuity.

S.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
RE: DT100s. Maybe just one little bit of concern for the non professional users as far as the proprietary 6-pins cable is concerned. Other than that, they're really a stunning set, I bought mine 2nd hand mint condition for 80 EUR. I find them more comfortable than my 60 EUR memory foam pillow.

Top Bottom