• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Review (headphone)

aukje.dirkw

Finally got the TYGR in and measured the effect of the 'acoustic fleece' disc on the TYGR and on the DT1990-A.

cloth-disc.jpg

Below the effect of removing the disc on the TYGR. It does not differ much (but is not the exact same) from using some toilet paper.

stock-vs-no-disc.png

and also the effect of the TYGR disc on the DT1990-A compared to the DT1990-A with passive filter.
dt1990-filter-disc.png

The 'acoustic fleece' disc does lower the treble but not enough and also affects the treble extension.
Just wanted to say thank you for all the measurement work you do. It's an insanely great asset to the community and to go through all the effort of testing different materials, pads, the toilet paper, the foam discs, different EQ's, all that stuff, while seemingly very niche, answers the questions that a lot of us really want the answers to but have no way of finding anywhere else exactly because of its specific nature.

Anyway didn't wanna derail anything, I just had to comment because it's through the work that guys like you and Amir and Crinacle do that I'm able to get the most enjoyment out of my headphones.

aukje.dirkw

Beyerdynamic just released two new headphones, the DT 900 Pro X & DT 700 Pro X. The FR is 5 - 40,000 Hz :facepalm:.

But more importantely, the guy who presents the headphones on their official Youtube channel is a known subjectivist who usually says things like "more ohms for headphones = better, because it has a wider soundstage".

The journey continues and it's going to be a long one...

Ye, this guy is part of the marketing machine. Still, as I understand the new hp's will have different drivers and will be priced affordably so as a DT770 fan I'm quite curious to see how they pan out :)

ADU

Major Contributor
Beyerdynamic just released two new headphones, the DT 900 Pro X & DT 700 Pro X. The FR is 5 - 40,000 Hz :facepalm:.

But more importantely, the guy who presents the headphones on their official Youtube channel is a known subjectivist who usually says things like "more ohms for headphones = better, because it has a wider soundstage".

Interesting. Need to see some plots on these new Beyer puppies! With both new and worn pads. :)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Just got the DT900 Pro X in today from Amazon. I quite like them.

However, I've never listened to the DT990. And it has been years since I listened to the DT880 and DT770. So I can't offer any comparisons in that regard.

I will say that they are pretty easy to drive. They get very loud with my Tempotec Sonata HD Pro dongle without even having to fool it into high gain mode.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Looks like a new driver (given the impedance) and they apply a TYGR alike (but not the same) treble reducing disc in front of the drivers and very different pads.
I expect these to be between DT990 and DT1990-B but with less treble and different comfort.

There is little chance of measuring these any time soon unless someone send on in for measurements (within EU)
I am curious too but not curious enough to buy one.

Last edited:

Merkurio

Looks like a new driver (given the impedance) and they apply the TYGR treble reducing disc in front of the drivers and very different pads.
I expect these to be between DT990 and DT1990-B but with less treble and different comfort.

There is little chance of measuring these any time soon unless someone send on in for measurements (within EU)
I am curious too but not curious enough to buy one.

What about order a pair from Amazon and then return them?

Not the most honest thing to do, but in the name of audio science and given the lack of measurements...

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Not the most honest thing to do, but in the name of audio science and given the lack of measurements...

While tempting that's not really my style and don't feel comfortable doing this on purpose when I do not intend to maybe keep it.... ;)

Merkurio

That's fair. :)

Sometimes we need to do some undesirable things in the name of science and overall knowledge, particularly seeing manufacturers' little interest in showing their own technical data, making it clear the importance of the community and the DIY measuring rigs.

Given your resources and effort put in this stuff, I absolutely can't blame you for doing such thing, but it's your call.

seerious

Sometimes we need to do some undesirable things in the name of science and overall knowledge, particularly seeing manufacturers' little interest in showing their own technical data, making it clear the importance of the community and the DIY measuring rigs.

It's funny... my first thought was the same as solderdudes. The idea of buying something with the intention of returning it seems pretty unethical to me.

HOWEVER, you're absolutely right. It's actually quite absurd that we have to buy headphones without access to frequency response graphs. It's like buying clothes online without knowing the sizing.

Merkurio

It's funny... my first thought was the same as solderdudes. The idea of buying something with the intention of returning it seems pretty unethical to me.

HOWEVER, you're absolutely right. It's actually quite absurd that we have to buy headphones without access to frequency response graphs. It's like buying clothes online without knowing the sizing.

Anyway, we can infer why manufacturers do not expose headphone measurements most of the time: because they have nothing to be proud of about them.

In this case, an user from reddit already measure the DT 700 Pro and compared with the DT770 80 ohm, showing better bass extension and better-tamed treble response in the new model, but with the same horrible dip (cancelation?) around 4 kHz:

bGeQLjv.jpg

There's no way a manufacturer doesn't flex their engineering muscles when achieves a proper tuned headphone.

seerious

In this case, an user from reddit already measure the DT 700 Pro

Ha, yes. I saw this too.

I note that the guy who took the measurements found they weren't to his taste and returned them.

They certainly don't look like they're any improvement over the DT770 Pro.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

That's just bad Karma...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I see your point but it's the dealer who suffers and not the producer who fails to show proper specs.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see your point but it's the dealer who suffers and not the producer who fails to show proper specs.
Yep.

Buying a pair of headphones just to measure them. Without the intent on keeping them. Is a lot like buying a dress or sport coat with the intention of wearing it to a formal event, and then returning it.

It's not ethical, no matter how much someone tries to spin it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I hope @solderdude could try and measure these soon.

Caved in ... became curious and it seems to need some help in the treble as well.
Ordered the DT900X from Beyer directly. When I like it I may keep it, when not it goes back to the manufacturer.
For € 250 (expect it to drop to € 175 or so over the years) it better be a good sounding headphone.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
it seems to need some help in the treble as well.

As far as I'm concerned I find it easier to EQ in the trebles than in the 2.5-5kHz area. The 4K dip in particular which seems to vary with pad compression.
I'm curious about your findings in that regard, the earpads article was quite enlightening.

buscon

this is a very nice review of the dt 900 pro x:
I think we need more time to see whether these headphones sounds so good or not, but this looks promising.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
this is a very nice review of the dt 900 pro x:
I think we need more time to see whether these headphones sounds so good or not, but this looks promising.
Excellent review from solderdude.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Copy pasta reviewers are dime a dozen now.

Top Bottom