• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ω vs Sennheiser HD800S

OP
Sharur

Sharur

ok, this is making me want to send dt880s to amir. my subjective opinion is that the hd800s blows the dt880 out of the water.
make sure it's the 600 Ω version

OP
Sharur

Sharur

it's pretty obvious where the measurements are coming from since you can see the website names in the video. They're more than welcome to copyright claim the video lol

Anmol

Forum Donor
Hd800s's measurements are ok except frequency response which can be eq'ed. Hd800s *after eq* has something special to it. i dont know how to describe this special. it is just sheer presentation of music the way it does is quite absorbing and engaging to the listener. decent amp needed for sure. i have an akg 371 and is awesome in measurements but its presentation still sounds boring and uninspiring to me. nothing against beyer , i do have a t1 and like it.

dfuller

Major Contributor
HD800S is very solid if bright... DT880, not so much.

Last edited:

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is a glorious example to prove the point that frequency response, while being important, isn't everything and judging headphones purely by measurements is a deficient way to do so. I have both and the HD 800S blows the 880 to pieces, with and without EQ. "Soundstage is nothing more than a high mid scoop" ? Really? So why does it remain so strong in the HD 800 (S) even after EQ? Poor thinking there.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DT880 (regardless of its impedance) is not a low budget HD800S.

DT880 has smaller diameter/shape not angled drivers which are closer to the ear and have different behavior at more impressive SPL and have very different pads and enclosure.
They do have a similar-ish (is NOT the same) response, both on my pinna-less flatbed fixture and industry standard fixture up to 7kHz.
HD800S vs DT880-600.png

Both are rolled-off in the lows and have elevated treble giving the owner a sense of 'hyper detail' but also some sibilance or sharpness (at least to quite a few owners).
Easily correctable with EQ. DT880/600 is 'warmer' than the HD800S.
The 'spatial' differences, compression at higher levels and resonance can not be EQ'ed away, only tonal balance can.

Last edited:

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
DT880 (regardless of its impedance) is not a low budget HD800S.

DT880 has smaller diameter/shape not angled drivers which are closer to the ear and have different behavior at more impressive SPL and have very different pads and enclosure.
They do have a similar-ish (≠ the same) tonal balance, both on my pinna-less flatbed fixture and industry standard fixture up to 7kHz.
View attachment 233151

Both are rolled-off in the lows and have elevated treble giving the owner a sense of 'hyper detail' but also some sibilance or sharpness (at least to quite a few owners).
Easily correctable with EQ. DT880/600 is 'warmer' than the HD800S.
The 'spatial' differences, compression at higher levels and resonance can not be EQ'ed away, only tonal balance can.
Nice reply, especially since he used your specs and measurements. Also, the DT880 has a lot of distortion at low frequencies, so it can not be EQed properly, while the HD800 has no problem with it. Not to talk about the difference in soundstage. When using the crinacle data for the DT880 32 Ohm, the frequency response looks really very similar, yet the sound is not.

Frequency response Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro (32 Ohm) vs Sennheiser HD 800 S (sehr ähnlich!).png.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The DT880/32 has a different response from both the 250 and 600 ohm versions which also differ a bit.

dt880-600-vs-dt880-edition.png

I actually quite liked the sound of the DT880/600 (with the treble peak removed) I don't think this is a bad headphone at normal to somewhat loud listening levels.
No HD800(S) but definitely not poor or boring sounding.

Not as bad as the DT880 Black Special Edition though which is closer to DT990 than DT880/600
I have no idea why Beyerdynamic named that one a DT880 though.
dt880-600-vs-dt880-be-1.png

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
ok, this is making me want to send dt880s to amir. my subjective opinion is that the hd800s blows the dt880 out of the water.
eh?

@solderdude, this crap with him and the DT's been going on now for what...a year, two? thought you were wiser then to fall for it again all over again, tbh

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Was just responding to @Garrincha who necro'd this thread yesterday (post #13) ;)

I did not bother to respond to the OP.

Top Bottom