• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

beyerdynamic dt-990 versus dt-1990 (re: I've purchased both, need confirmation/advice) (gaming/music)

sofakng

I'm a headphone newbie but I was previously using the dt-770 (80 ohm) and really liked them.
I was looking for gaming/music headphones and saw the dt-990 was really popular so I purchased a pair on a good deal ($149 for the limited edition, 250 ohm) and immediately loved them except for the sharp treble with specific songs/artists. The open-back sound is amazing and I definitely prefer it over the closed-back.

I also purchased a Monoprice Liquidspark DAC and AMP combo (as it was recommended to help reduce the treble... I don't think it helps the treble, but it does power the headphones really nice)
Before the dt-990 return policy was over I thought I would also try the dt-1990 (on sale for $525 with no tax and free shipping).

So far I really like the dt-1990. I've only ever used three headphones in my life (770, 990, 1990) so I don't have the correct terms but here is my comparison:

Compared to the DT-1990, the DT-990 sounds a bit muffled or "compressed". I don't know what mid-tones sound like or if the treble is the difference I'm hearing, but when I use the DT-990 it sounds closer to my closed-back headphones.

Here's my questions...

Are the DT-1990 the best headphones (around $500) for 60% music and 40% gaming?

Should I try any other headphones? (the problem is that with COVID, I can't visit any stores so I have to buy and return which is terrible)

Did I make a good decision with the DT-1990? (and return my DT-990)

There seems to be a lot of talk about the Sennheiser HD6XX, HD660, etc, so that has me second-guessing my 1990s as well.
Thanks so much for any advice!

Noodles

1990 is the best headphone out of all you mentioned. There is a treble peak but looks like you have it under control already.

If you are looking for a better price to performance - there are several options:
- Hifiman Sundara
- Mackie MC450/350
- Sivga Phoenix + newer pads
- Austrian Audio X55

The Focal elex were on sale for 500 until a week or two ago, but they have QC issues and i can't recommend them due to that.

I am only mentioning those if you are looking to get great sound at a lower price, other than that - if the treble peak on the 1990 does not bother you anymore and you are content with your purchase - don't bother looking and keep them :)

TwoLazy

I'm a headphone newbie but I was previously using the dt-770 (80 ohm) and really liked them.
I was looking for gaming/music headphones and saw the dt-990 was really popular so I purchased a pair on a good deal ($149 for the limited edition, 250 ohm) and immediately loved them except for the sharp treble with specific songs/artists. The open-back sound is amazing and I definitely prefer it over the closed-back.

I also purchased a Monoprice Liquidspark DAC and AMP combo (as it was recommended to help reduce the treble... I don't think it helps the treble, but it does power the headphones really nice)
Before the dt-990 return policy was over I thought I would also try the dt-1990 (on sale for $525 with no tax and free shipping).

So far I really like the dt-1990. I've only ever used three headphones in my life (770, 990, 1990) so I don't have the correct terms but here is my comparison:

Compared to the DT-1990, the DT-990 sounds a bit muffled or "compressed". I don't know what mid-tones sound like or if the treble is the difference I'm hearing, but when I use the DT-990 it sounds closer to my closed-back headphones.

Here's my questions...

Are the DT-1990 the best headphones (around $500) for 60% music and 40% gaming?

Should I try any other headphones? (the problem is that with COVID, I can't visit any stores so I have to buy and return which is terrible)

Did I make a good decision with the DT-1990? (and return my DT-990)

There seems to be a lot of talk about the Sennheiser HD6XX, HD660, etc, so that has me second-guessing my 1990s as well.
Thanks so much for any advice!
Hey there,

I've had the DT 990 and now I'm on the dt 1990 pro among others and I can say that the DT 1990 pro is better for gaming for sure but it also has more detail for music listening especially if you EQ it a bit. Oh and don't game in the 6XX they don't have a wide Soundstage and it's weird to game with them but they are good for music. Especially music with vocals. One last thing, try getting the dekoni elite velour pads for the DT 1990 pro. They reduce the treble and make them sound more pleasant overall. Hope that helps.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The DT1990 is an improved and more expensive looking DT880+DT990 in one.
All of these Beyers have a treble peak and is fixable.

When one speaks of the DT1990 the question is which pads are used. The DT1990 comes with A(nalytical) pads which make the tonal balance flatter but the treble peak is way too present. A bit like the DT880 of old but better extended in the lows.
Then there are the B(alanced) pads which aren't balanced at all but V shaped, a bit like the DT990 is.

DT990 has a fixed cable entry, the DT1990 is 3 pin mini XLR. Too bad they did not opt for a 4-pin mini XLR though.

The DT990 and DT880 are available in several looks, tunings, impedances, pro or 'edition' versions. The DT1990 is only 'pro' and comes with straight and coiled cables.

The DT1990 is somewhat 'better' to me than the DT880 and DT990, certainly in technicalities.
Still have both DT880, DT990 and DT1990.

HD6** series are not very suited for gaming except the HD560S which works fine for gaming and music. (I don't game, my son does).
Pricing is closer to DT990 territory and is something that could be on your list.
So should the K702 be on your list. Some really like it (own one and don't think it is the bomb) but is universally liked for gaming.

Last edited:

Grandzoltar

Forum Donor
The Dekoni ear pad website has some interesting response graphs with the 1990 and their pads. Depending on what your looking for the pads can give you a different curve.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Dekoni Elite Velour is exactly inbetween A and B pads tonally and are a bit deeper as well.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The DT1990 is only 'pro' but strangely enough without a coiled cable.

Mine came with a straight and a coiled actually- but hate coiled so its stayed in the case.

OP might want to consider the Drop/ Hifiman 4XX if they are somewhere where shipping and customs wont hike the price much from the US- Its not my favourite HP for audio- but its very comfy and good for soundstage for gaming and is pretty robust build. Great value and with EQ is a "good" audio HP, just not a giant killer IMHO.

Noodles

Dekoni measurements are a joke sometimes... Most times their hybrid pads are on par with whatever stock pads they replace minus a bit of treble reduction.
Their perforated leather pads always take away alot of bass and make stuff sound hollow.
Their sheepskin/protein leather pads widen the sound because they are thicker than stock in all cases. However they accentuate treble peaks.
Velours are in most cases close to stock with some bass reduction and sometimes treble reduction.

I've had their pads on many a headphone ... Hybrids are what I'd get.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Mine came with a straight and a coiled actually- but hate coiled so its stayed in the case.

Mine too so I forgot about it :facepalm:
I don't use the long one either and made a cable of 1.5m with a filter in it.

Alan James

How does DT 1990 compare to top-end Audeze & Stax which are several times more expensive?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How does DT 1990 compare to top-end Audeze & Stax which are several times more expensive?
You'll probably find none will measure objectively well. Personally prefer audeze sound to beyer.

Top Bottom