• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 Ohm Review (Headphone)

Sharur

distortion is especially bad on this song. Warbling throughout
1627897852125.png

Sharur

The warbling effect only seems noticeable on songs that aren't recorded too well so I think the DT880 is amplifying that distortion with even more distortion

Sharur

to quote amir's T1 review, "I could hear the same distortion whenever there was a rich spectrum of low and high frequencies." This is what I am experiencing with the DT880 600 Ω

Sharur

From my testing, Etymotic ER4XR (inserted deeply) out-resolves DT880 600 Ω because of the bass distortion. Getting ER2SE for the exceptionally low THD and quitting headphones forever.

Last edited:

Sharur

I got the DT880s because I wanted something to use while I was RMAing my Etymotics. I went so far down the rabbit hole that I lost sight of the fact that Etymotic is literally better.

Sharur

listening to er4xr is like a revelation for low frequency cleanliness

KTN46

You don't need to post 20 comments when 1 or 2 will suffice. There are plenty of headphones out there that provide very good low frequency performance, or tunable low frequency performance. If that's what you were looking for the DT880 was a poor choice.

Sharur

You don't need to post 20 comments when 1 or 2 will suffice. There are plenty of headphones out there that provide very good low frequency performance, or tunable low frequency performance. If that's what you were looking for the DT880 was a poor choice.
1. the distortion issue wasn't clear before Amir's review
2. these are some of the best headphones for glasses wearers
3. sorry, got a bit carried away with the responses lol

Last edited:

Sharur

funnily enough, the dt880 32 ohm performs better in mid-bass distortion above 100 Hz on Tyll's graphs.
ABB25516-820F-4A3F-BD7C-138F97CE064A.jpeg

ED2E4511-5496-4485-A535-5D0B9211513D.jpeg

escalibur

@amirm Any chance of having DT 1990 Pros tested? (Not the already tested DT 990s)

Nouvraught

lol sharur losing his mind. I tried telling him the dt880 were a thin and less fun lamer version of dt990. the whole dt880 is more natural therefore more accurate and more pro is a bunch of bull. its just thinner and less extended in the highs. These were all interesting things to wonder about when I was new to headphones.
nb.png

people asking about the last hope dt1990 (even tho beyer has come out with many more 1,000 dollar headphones since the dt1990) are also strange people. everyone has known for a long time the dt1990 has yet again screwed up highs:
dddd.png

Say what you want but burned in dt990 clearly has the smoothest cleanest highs after burn in and no lack of bass emphasis. the 600 ohm thing requiring a god amp is also hilariously stupid. dumb inefficient headphones don't sound better. my neumann tlm 103 needs hardly any gain and eats dynamic microphones for breakfast without stressing and making the preamp sound worse by lacking sensitivity.

regarding distortion it only seems a issue with the headphones if you play them too loud? cause i dont think the distortion factor has ever been a issue for me. either way if it wasn't for dt990 i would be using studio monitors instead of headphones. i highly recommend dt990.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
lol sharur losing his mind. I tried telling him the dt880 were a thin and less fun lamer version of dt990. the whole dt880 is more natural therefore more accurate and more pro is a bunch of bull. its just thinner and less extended in the highs. These were all interesting things to wonder about when I was new to headphones.
View attachment 145664

people asking about the last hope dt1990 (even tho beyer has come out with many more 1,000 dollar headphones since the dt1990) are also strange people. everyone has known for a long time the dt1990 has yet again screwed up highs:
View attachment 145668
Say what you want but burned in dt990 clearly has the smoothest cleanest highs after burn in and no lack of bass emphasis. the 600 ohm thing requiring a god amp is also hilariously stupid. dumb inefficient headphones don't sound better. my neumann tlm 103 needs hardly any gain and eats dynamic microphones for breakfast without stressing and making the preamp sound worse by lacking sensitivity.

regarding distortion it only seems a issue with the headphones if you play them too loud? cause i dont think the distortion factor has ever been a issue for me. either way if it wasn't for dt990 i would be using studio monitors instead of headphones. i highly recommend dt990.

You really have invested in the whole 990 mythos haven't you? Back for another round? To be fair to you, you were referenced. But I think we know where this is heading.

For my money, you like the 990, good for you. You've obviously listened to different cans and picked your poison. Hurrah! But they really are not worth dying in a ditch for.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DT1990 has the Beyerdynamic treble thing but otherwise I find it a very well built and comfortable headphone which performs well. I used to have the T5 gen 2 and found something unpleasant about the highs, but with the 1990 although it has bright highs I find its sound signature well done.

Sharur

On full spectrum stuff it's audible at listening volumes. The reality is that all Beyerdynamic headphones are a complete failure in low frequency distortion and the DT990s fail even harder. Beyerdynamic has done no meaningful innovation to combat this issue and instead boosts bass quantity with every iteration of the DT880 making distortion even more noticeable.

Last edited:

Sharur

Just way too much propaganda in the audio world. I'm glad Amir is exposing issues that were previously hidden under the rubble.

KTN46

Say what you want but burned in dt990 clearly has the smoothest cleanest highs after burn in

According to what? Your confirmation bias? What defines "smoothest" and "cleanest"?

Having had a short listen to the 990s, "screechy" and "painful" are much more accurate than "smoothest" and "cleanest".

Sharur

According to what? Your confirmation bias? What defines "smoothest" and "cleanest"?

Having had a short listen to the 990s, "screechy" and "painful" are much more accurate than "smoothest" and "cleanest".
I find it funny that he's still referring to 2 year old pad measurements as "burned in" DT990

Top Bottom