• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 Ohm Review (Headphone)

Sharur

I hear a breathing type quality to the sound. Warbling breathing.
That's what I'm hearing as well, but the effect is completely absent on my Etymotics and I'm wondering if that's due to the distortion of my headphones.

Sharur

At 0:52 the same phrase is repeated and I hear no warbling...both 0:45 and 0:52 sound identical on my etymotics

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At 0:52 the same phrase is repeated and I hear no warbling...both 0:45 and 0:52 sound identical on my etymotics
I think it is the keyboards in the background making some tones that mix with the other instruments and make it warble.

Sharur

I think it is the keyboards in the background making some tones that mix with the other instruments and make it warble.
What could explain why I don't hear it on my etymotics?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What could explain why I don't hear it on my etymotics?
Maybe your Entymotics don't emphasise the keyboards. Could be a frequency response thing. I'm using Sennheiser HD 598SR.

Sharur

Maybe your Entymotics don't emphasise the keyboards. Could be a frequency response thing. I'm using Sennheiser HD 598SR.
Would be interested to see if someone with low bass distortion planars or something could hear it. If those are air frequencies it makes some sense as my etymotics only extend to 16 kHz

Sharur

It's definitely a bass issue. If I EQ bass down lower than it already is it lowers the warbling

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't seem to be audible in "high fidelity recordings" either.

At 0:45 in this song I am hearing some warbling noise and can't tell if it's the music or my headphones. I can hear it on low volumes as well.
Quite often there is distortion as part of the recording, the times I notice it most is when it occurs on female vocals.....I double checked by using my other headphones to confirm it wasn't a problem with one of my headphones and the distortion was still there, so it was part of the recording. (not talking about your Youtube track you showed, but a few tracks that are in my music catalogue)

Sharur

Quite often there is distortion as part of the recording, the times I notice it most is when it occurs on female vocals.....I double checked by using my other headphones to confirm it wasn't a problem with one of my headphones and the distortion was still there, so it was part of the recording. (not talking about your Youtube track you showed, but a few tracks that are in my music catalogue)
If I turn up the volume, the warbling sound on this part of the song gets worse. At this point i don't think it's the song because it's nonexistent at ear bleeding levels on my etymotics which have much less low frequency distortion.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I turn up the volume, the warbling sound on this part of the song gets worse. At this point i don't think it's the song because it's nonexistent at ear bleeding levels on my etymotics which have much less low frequency distortion.
I just listened to your Youtube vid, and I didn't notice any problems around 45 seconds. What does happen just as it's about to tick over to 46 seconds is that one of the singers takes a breath-in that you can hear. Maybe it's that which you're noticing, because that doesn't happen anywhere else around there.

EDIT: there is a general warbling quality to their voices throughout the song - I think it's autotune!

Sharur

I just listened to your Youtube vid, and I didn't notice any problems around 45 seconds. What does happen just as it's about to tick over to 46 seconds is that one of the singers takes a breath-in that you can hear. Maybe it's that which you're noticing, because that doesn't happen anywhere else around there.

EDIT: there is a general warbling quality to their voices throughout the song - I think it's autotune!
The warbling I hear takes place between 0:44-0:46 playing moderately high. I'm not entirely sure what SPL is needed for the warbling to be audible, but I can't hear it when maxing my MacBook headphone out (well below average listening volume for DT880 600 Ω). If it was just autotune I feel like I should be able to hear it on my ER4s

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The warbling I hear takes place between 0:44-0:46 playing moderately high. I'm not entirely sure what SPL is needed for the warbling to be audible, but I can't hear it when maxing my MacBook headphone out (well below average listening volume for DT880 600 Ω). If it was just autotune I feel like I should be able to hear it on my ER4s
I've listened to that section now on two headphones HD560s with Harman EQ and K702 with Harman EQ and I'm not noticing anything out of the ordinary around there, even at louder volumes. My K702 even has exact/perfect channel matching throughout the frequency range from 20-10000Hz as this particular unit was measured by Oratory and I did a channel matching EQ for it using his left/right measurements, and in my own listening testing on my own music catalogue that enabled very fine nuances do be heard in faint reverb / panning effects / and around female vocals, but I hear nothing out of the ordinary or different in that section apart from that breath-in at 45 seconds which isn't heard anywhere else around there. I would think what you're hearing is perhaps the quirk of one your headphones if you're not having the same experience with your other headphones.

Sharur

I've listened to that section now on two headphones HD560s with Harman EQ and K702 with Harman EQ and I'm not noticing anything out of the ordinary around there, even at louder volumes. My K702 even has exact/perfect channel matching throughout the frequency range from 20-10000Hz as this particular unit was measured by Oratory and I did a channel matching EQ for it using his left/right measurements, and in my own listening testing on my own music catalogue that enabled very fine nuances do be heard in faint reverb / panning effects / and around female vocals, but I hear nothing out of the ordinary or different in that section apart from that breath-in at 45 seconds which isn't heard anywhere else around there. I would think what you're hearing is perhaps the quirk of one your headphones if you're not having the same experience with your other headphones.
Thank you, I appreciate the help

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The one thing I don't get about Beyerdynamic is why they have never updated the cable to be removable on the 770/880/990. After all these years the designs and tooling must have been fully amortized years ago and it would be a minor revision, they have actually done it for the MMX300 gaming headset version. It's not that the fixed cables are waiting to fall off and most people will never have an issue, but it is just peace of mind if you do ever guillotine the cable and allows you to switch between long and short cables. However, otherwise these are hard wearing long lived headphones that are pretty much bombproof and I find them very comfortable.

Sharur

The one thing I don't get about Beyerdynamic is why they have never updated the cable to be removable on the 770/880/990. After all these years the designs and tooling must have been fully amortized years ago and it would be a minor revision, they have actually done it for the MMX300 gaming headset version. It's not that the fixed cables are waiting to fall off and most people will never have an issue, but it is just peace of mind if you do ever guillotine the cable and allows you to switch between long and short cables. However, otherwise these are hard wearing long lived headphones that are pretty much bombproof and I find them very comfortable.
because no one actually breaks beyerdynamic cables

Sharur

distortion is especially bad on this song. Warbling throughout

Sharur

lol if i play really close attention I can hear the warbling on that part of the loona song with etymotics (or at least i'm imagining I can). I think the DT880s are just making it more obvious

Last edited:
Top Bottom